HMS Duncan in Black Sea

Navy related media items
greendragon

HMS Duncan in Black Sea

Unread post by greendragon »

Have been watching an interesting documentary about HMS Duncan during a NATO exercise in Black Sea.
BBC (?) production which showed well the ship itself, crewmembers, interviews with them to include the HM Admiral present on deck.
Ship looks great (no problem with telling where is bow) .
What has struck me was how much elctronics has been stuffed into the hull and rows of men siting in front of their displays in CIC (or today's equivalent).
My little red bulb of the man of the times of a hammer and welder's torch asked me how all this would work if any damge - whatever reason - would occur.
I do not believe in a Tytanic type claims that everything would work and systems have been doubled, tripled etc, etc.
Anyway, it must be like that.
No way to go back to good old times when everything was in hands&eyes of observers or like in case of HMS Edinburgh her Captain yelling from the bridge distance and direction to the 6in B mount captain who was poking his head out of the tower roof hatch - with devastating effects on a German destroyer which was hit with local controlled second salvo and had to be scuttled .

Regards,

GD

Return to “Forthcoming Films, TV Shows, Exhibitions and Events”