The Second Battle of the Falklands

Honour our War Dead here and post your photos of your local Remembrance Day events
Pelican

Re: The Second Battle of the Falklands

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal ‘thank you’ for Falklands veterans aboard Royal Navy flagship HMS Queen Elizabeth

The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall today thanked Falklands veterans at a unique ‘garden party’ on the UK’s flagship.
The gathering in the hangar of HMS Queen Elizabeth in Portsmouth marked the end of official 40th anniversary commemorations of the conflict.

A select number of members of the South Atlantic Medal Association – the principal group representing the men and women of 1982 – were invited to join Their Royal Highnesses, Defence Secretary Ben Wallace and two of the nation’s three most senior naval officers (Fleet Commander Vice Admiral Andrew Burns and Second Sea Lord Vice Admiral Martin Connell) on the aircraft carrier.

The event drew around 200 veterans of all ranks, from every Service – many wearing the distinctive SAMA82 tie of red, green, light and dark blue stripes – plus their families.

After being saluted by a Royal Guard – drawn from both Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales – on the jetty, the VIPs spent a good hour chatting and mingling with veterans aboard the flagship.

SAMA82’s Honorary President Commodore Jamie Miller – who survived the sinking of destroyer HMS Coventry – thanked the Royal couple for attending “a very significant, unique occasion” and for today’s Service personnel “making us feel so welcome and happy”.

He continued: - See: https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... s-40-event
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Kenny Bould

If anyone gets eyes in these give me shout
**STOLEN MEDAL ALERT***
The following medal was stolen from one our clients on 10th October 2022 a former Falklands war veteran from the Royal Navy. The medal is a South Atlantic Medal with Rosette maned to:
W. ALDRIDGE ABR R.N. D188707S.
This medal was stolen in a burglary in Tavistock in Devon and will be posted on all social media, therefore, if you are offered this medal please inform us or the police as soon as possible and seize it.
If you purchase it you will be handling stolen good sand commit a serious offence so beware.
You can contact us at our antique shop, call us, email or telephone us.
Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

DIORAMA ~ MAY 1982

Broadsword Hermes Yarmouth
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Memories of the Falklands | Royal Navy

As we approach the climax of 40th anniversary commemorations of the Falklands war, we look at the legacy of conflict – through the eyes of two veterans. Former aircrewman John Sheldon shared his memories of 1982 – including his role in the rescue of survivors from HMS Coventry. And sailors from HMS Prince of Wales and RNAS Yeovilton were introduced to the poetry of Phil Ellison, a leading stoker aboard flagship HMS Hermes. He wrote a book of powerful verse to exorcise the ghosts of 1982 and come to terms with his experiences.

See - <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtFfAqp07ik>
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Over 100 veterans and next of kin travelled to the Falkland Islands for Remembrance, honouring all those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Funded by the MOD, the visit marked the 40th anniversary year of the conflict.

See video at - https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/15 ... 4417872897
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

I know Adm. Jeremy Larken is there, Capt. of Fearless at the time.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

TEV Rangatira (Barrack ship Falklands)
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Somewhere in the South Atlantic May 1982
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Aftermath of the Falklands War

The aftermath of the 1982 Falklands War between the United Kingdom and Argentina affected world geopolitics, the local political culture in Argentina and the UK, military thought, medical treatment, and the lives of those who were directly involved in the war.

Includes:
Vulnerability of surface ships
Role of air power
Logistics
Special forces
Uniforms
Impact on the Royal Navy
Etc.

See - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aftermath ... klands_War
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Obituary:

Rear Admiral Philip Wilcocks
PWO HMS Ambuscade during the Falklands War and CO of HMS Gloucester during the first Gulf war - shot down Silkworm missile heading for USS Missouri.
See - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rear ... -k6bf9d0bh
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Remembrance Thread”