Museum for the Royal Marines

Post here about Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and its Exhibits
Pelican

Museum for the Royal Marines

Unread post by Pelican »

MARINES LAUNCH £5M FUNDRAISING DRIVE FOR NEW MUSEUM

Royal Marines need up to £5m of your money to fulfil their dream of opening a new museum in Portsmouth.

For three years the story of the elite naval infantry – who trace their illustrious history back to 1664 – has gone untold as their old museum in Portsmouth closed... in preparation for a new one opening in the city’s historic dockyard.

They were counting on a handout from the Heritage Lottery Fund to help with the £10m cost of the move – but 18 months ago the bid for lottery cash was rejected, leaving the museum in limbo.

Museum bosses hope to pay for the majority of the move by selling the former museum building at Eastney – plus a second, hopefully-successful for lottery funding.

But that still leaves them at least £1.1m short (or £5m short if the lottery application fails a second time) - prompting the big push for donations.

Marines past and present have lent their support to the fundraising drive, including Afghanistan veteran Mark Ormrod, now a motivational speaker/life coach/athlete/author and charity fundraiser after losing both legs and his right arm to an improvised explosive device a decade ago.

He wants the public “to celebrate, commemorate and also enjoy our prestigious history. There are so many stories which need to be told, not only to honour those Royal Marines who’ve gone before us, but also to inspire the Royal Marines of the future.”

The museum closed in April 2017 as the 150-year-old building was no longer suitable for displaying the Corps’ vast historical collection - more than two million artefacts going back to the birth of the marines more than 350 years ago - maintenance was proving prohibitively expensive and it could not properly accommodate people with disabilities.

Continues with images at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... CKkWglHKJo
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
jbryce1437

New Museum for the Royal Marines

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

I didn't realise that the museum at Eastney Barracks had closed. I watched the "Flog it" programme last week and it was filmed there and an impressive building it is. No doubt the site is more valuable to sell for housing than to keep as a museum. I hope they are successful in their bid to move.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
jbryce1437

Re: Museum for the Royal Marines

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

An update on the museum and information in the header about reopening of the various sites:

The National Museum of the Royal Navy remains temporarily closed. We are pleased to say that our Fleet Air Arm Museum has now re-opened, Portsmouth Historic Dockyard on 24 August, Royal Navy Sumarine Museum on 26 August, Explosion on 29 August and the National Museum of the Royal Navy, Hartlepool will be reopening on 4 September. Tickets are now available to buy online. Pre-booking your day and arrival time are essential.

https://www.nmrn.org.uk/new-royal-marines-museum-1
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Re: Museum for the Royal Marines

Unread post by Pelican »

New images reveal how Portsmouth's former Royal Marines Museum will become a new five-star hotel

IMAGES of the five-star 'flagship' hotel planned for the former Royal Marines Museum on Eastney seafront have been published with the submission of a planning application.
See - https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/defen ... 5DNSbS4X3E
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and Off Site Attractions”