RN Submarines; Astute Class (Nuclear) 2010

Submarines of the fleet
Little h

RN Submarines; Astute Class (Nuclear) 2010

Unread post by Little h »

Astute Class Nuclear Submarine
2010 to date

Owners' Workshop Manual - Haynes
(like we used when fixing our cars back in the day ;) )

Insights into the design, construction and operation of the most advanced attack submarine ever operated by the Royal Navy

Just this evening I've been presented with a hardback example of this publication - (as one of my Christmas presents) - it will make a fine companion to the Haynes Type 45 Destroyer Owners' Workshop Manual already in my possession.

First impressions are that the publiction is a extremely well illustrated and likely to be good read and/or reference book.

Thought it best I announce my gaining possession of said book in order that Ivor gets his copy sorted :)
Little h
jbryce1437

Re: RN Submarines; Astute Class (Nuclear) 2010

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Hope you enjoy your new present Harry, I bet you wish there were others that would explain the various bits of equipment that you strive to find their function :D Now that would be some library. ;)

Im
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

jbryce1437 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:57 pm Hope you enjoy your new present Harry, I bet you wish there were others that would explain the various bits of equipment that you strive to find their function :D Now that would be some library. ;)

Im
Thanks Jim. Yep, althought there are thirteen manuals listed on their Maritime - Haynes Publishing page, I note that the Type 45 Manual is not featured ... a trip over to the Amazon site rectifies that though.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The future of Royal Navy attack submarines

On 6th February the Minister for Defence Procurement confirmed in Parliament that all 7 Astute class submarines would be completed by the end of 2026, despite the serious delay to the delivery of HMS Audacious. Here we look at the submarine programme in the medium-long term.

Trenchant lives on
The problems with HMS Audacious have been well documented and she will join the fleet sometime in early 2021, at least 17 months later than planned. This has had two immediate consequences, firstly the delivery of boat 5, HMS Anson will be delayed and secondly, it has been confirmed that HMS Trenchant will remain in service for at least another year. Trenchant was launched in 1986 and this 34-year old must be close to the end of viable operation. With an eye to the problems with the Astute programme, Trenchant underwent a 3-year refit 2013-16 described as “largest and most complex ever undertaken at Devonport” which should see her through this extra time in service. Although far from ideal, this is a sensible decision which at least ensures SSN numbers do not go below the already ‘rock-bottom’ number of 6. There will undoubtedly be additional maintenance costs involved and her ships company will have to work hard to keep this veteran boat going. It looks likely that the two other Trafalgar class boats, HMS Talent and Triumph may also have to have their decommissioning delayed slightly to cover the late arrival of HMS Anson and Agamemnon.

Continues at:
https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/the-fu ... VWIm51U1vw
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Astute Class Nuclear Powered Fleet Submarine HMS Audacious was moved today out of Devonshire Dock down to Walney Channel,Barrow-in Furness, ready to begin initial sea trials on Monday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

HMS Audacious passes Piel Castle off the Furness Peninsula.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

‘ENGINEERING MARVEL’ HMS ANSON NAMED IN GLITZY CEREMONY
11 December 2020
The Royal Navy today welcomed the fifth of its 21st Century hunter-killer submarines: the mighty HMS Anson, formally named in Barrow.

After nine years of toil by the engineers, shipwrights and technicians of BAE Systems, the latest Astute-class boat was unveiled in the Devonshire Dock Hall – the UK’s gigantic submarine construction complex.

Continues at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... son-naming

Savetheroyalnavy.org

Fifth Astute-class boat HMS Anson formally named in ceremony at BAE Systems in Barrow today.
Due to be rolled out and launched early next year, ahead of leaving for sea trials in 2022.
See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWCI3AA ... Vv0QOBQRfw
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

‘ENGINEERING MARVEL’ HMS ANSON NAMED IN GLITZY CEREMONY
11 December 2020
The Royal Navy today welcomed the fifth of its 21st Century hunter-killer submarines: the mighty HMS Anson, formally named in Barrow.

After nine years of toil by the engineers, shipwrights and technicians of BAE Systems, the latest Astute-class boat was unveiled in the Devonshire Dock Hall – the UK’s gigantic submarine construction complex.

Continues at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... son-naming

Savetheroyalnavy.org

Fifth Astute-class boat HMS Anson formally named in ceremony at BAE Systems in Barrow today.
Due to be rolled out and launched early next year, ahead of leaving for sea trials in 2022.
See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWCI3AA ... Vv0QOBQRfw

See also:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/nuclear ... w3oi3CAegE
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Pleased to see that the mighty Anson has now been named. She is the adopted warship of Sunderland. Not sure if she would ever pay a port visit to her adopted city though.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

Here she is a few days ago, and during her naming ceremony: the new HMS ANSON a dweller of the deep! :) DFO
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “RN Submarines”