RN Submarines; Astute Class (Nuclear) 2010

Submarines of the fleet
Pelican

Re: RN Submarines; Astute Class (Nuclear) 2010

Unread post by Pelican »

UK spending £8m to buy new heat exchangers for Astute subs

The Ministry of Defence has formally announced its intention to procure two reactor fresh water-cooling heat exchangers for ASTUTE class submarines, with a contract value set at £8 million.

According to a Voluntary Ex-Ante Transparency (VEAT) Notice published on 18 March 2024, this procurement forms an integral part of the ongoing Deep Maintenance Programme for the submarines.

The notice specifies that the “Platform Equipment Delivery Team, which is part of the Ministry of Defence (MOD), intends to award a contract to Naval Group Limited for the purchase of two additional Fresh Water Cooling Heat Exchanger (HEATEX) units to be installed on ASTUTE class submarines.”

The MOD notice states, “Reactor Fresh Water-Cooling Heat Exchangers/Coolers are fundamental to the operation of platforms and are linked directly to delivery of submarine outputs and platform availability; they also fulfil a key nuclear reactor safety function.”

This procurement aims to “procure 2 modified Heat Exchangers from Naval Group UK, the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) to meet the requirement for the ASTUTE Class Deep Maintenance Period (DMP) whilst an enduring support strategy for Coolers is developed.”

The notice also expands upon underscores Naval Group’s unique position as the OEM capable of providing these bespoke-designed units, crucial for the submarines’ safety and operational functionality. The MOD justifies the direct award of this contract under the regulations of The Defence and Security Public Contracts (Amendment) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019 and the Defence and Security Public Contracts Regulations 2011.

The justification for not proceeding with a prior publication of a contract notice is stated as, “It is considered that this contract can be awarded without prior publication of a contract notice in the UK e-notification service in accordance with regulation 16(1)(a)(ii) of the Defence and Security Public Contracts Regulations 2011 for technical reasons.”

Further emphasising, the notice elaborates:

“The Units provide Sea Water cooling to the Boat’s Fresh Auxiliary Water Cooling System and the Reactor Compartment Fresh Water Cooling System. They are a vital part of the nuclear safety function and must work with and be compatible with the other systems on the Boat.”

The announcement also indicates potential subcontracting opportunities, although specific details regarding these opportunities were not provided within the notice.

Source UKDJ
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout
HMS Ambush maintenance continues in Faslane. (She has not been to sea since Autumn 2022)
Photos https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 72/photo/2
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Royal Navy’s Astute Class submarine ~ Conning Tower
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

An Astute with deck cargo or should that be casing cargo?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

6th Astute class submarine, HMS Agamemnon formally named at BAES Maritime Barrow today ahead of being launched later this year.

New British nuclear submarine named HMS Agamemnon
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/new-bri ... agamemnon/

The Royal Navy’s Astute class submarines: Part 1 – development and delivery
https://www.navylookout.com/the-royal-n ... -delivery/

The Royal Navy’s Astute class submarines: Part 2 – platform design
https://www.navylookout.com/the-royal-n ... rm-design/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Navy's newest submarine, HMS Agamemnon, officially named in Barrow

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... -in-barrow
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “RN Submarines”