RN Submarines; Astute Class (Nuclear) 2010

Submarines of the fleet
Pelican

Re: RN Submarines; Astute Class (Nuclear) 2010

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout

Australian media reporting RN Astute class submarine will visit Perth (Most likely HMS Astute)
See - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 0761348096
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Australian Navy

Welcome to Australia The Astute class submarine arrived into HMAS Stirling yesterday.
Video at - https://twitter.com/Australian_Navy/sta ... 2402883585
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ANSON

The 5th Astute-class submarine HMS Anson has completed her first trim dive in Devonshire dock at BAE Systems in Barrow

See - https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=370344324477678
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Hunter-killer HMS Anson completes first practice dive in dock

The Navy’s newest hunter-killer submarine HMS Anson has completed what a submarine should do – submerge – for the first time.
The fifth Astute-class boat – £1.3bn of cutting-edge underwater naval power and technology – has successfully come through her first dive in the safety of a dock in Barrow.

The trim dive – carried out over two days – allows architects, experts and engineers calculate the boat’s precise weight, stability and centre of gravity, all key factors in Anson’s performance when she formally joins her four older sisters already in service with the Royal Navy’s submarine flotilla.

The dock at BAE Systems’ Barrow-in-Furness yard – where Anson has been built over the past 11 years – features a giant chasm or ‘dive hole’.

Long and wide enough to accommodate a Royal Navy nuclear submarine, even at 25 metres (82ft) it’s not quite deep enough to cover an A-class boat entirely, but it does leave only the conning tower and tailfin protruding from the cold waters of the Devonshire Dock.

The dive is a slow process as the 60 crew, engineers and shipwrights check for the hull’s watertight integrity and move around trollies collectively carrying 16 tonnes of lead weights so naval architects can confirm the stability of the 97-metre-long nuclear submarine at sea.

“The start of the trim and basin dive is a key step in the commissioning of HMS Anson,” said the boat’s first Commanding Officer, Commander David ‘Bing’ Crosby.

“This successful first dive of the RN’s newest Fleet submarine is a direct result of weeks of intense, driven, joint team progress, in particular since Christmas.”

Continues, including photos, at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... ve-in-dock
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Northrop wins Astute submarine support contract

Northrop Grumman UK has been awarded a contract for in-service support of the Astute Class Submarine Platform Management System by the Submarine Delivery Agency, an executive agency of the Ministry of Defence.
According to the firm, Northrop Grumman is the original equipment manufacturer of the state-of-the-art, fully integrated PMS installed on Astute Boats 4 to 7.

See - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/northro ... X7bd9bByag
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

In focus: Royal Navy submarine special forces delivery systems

The Astute class submarines were designed from the outset to be fitted with a Dry Deck Shelter (DDS) which significantly enhances their ability to covertly deliver special forces. Using unclassified public domain sources, here we examine the history, design and operation of the DDS in RN service.

The DDS fitted to the Astute class boats is a cylindrical chamber approximately 13m long by 3m diameter. In UK service it is formally named the Special Forces Payload Bay (SFPB) and was procured under ‘project CHALFONT’, although submariners nickname it “the caravan of death”. The DDS is not a permanent fixture and is designed to be attached or removed from a submarine within a matter of days. The aft section of the sail on the Astute class boats have removable panels. Securing points on the casing, hull penetrations, piping for high-pressure air and electrical supplies are in place ready to receive the DDS. Given the small number of SSNs possessed by the RN, only one boat is likely to be fitted at a time. HMS Astute first deployed with the DDS on an 8-month patrol in 2014 and HMS Artful currently carries the DDS which she first received in late 2016.

The Astute class reputedly have a lock-in/lock-out transfer trunk permanently installed inside the sail that allows diver access to and from the submarine while submerged. When the DDS has fitted, this chamber is mated to the ‘hangar’ which can accommodate either a Swimmer Delivery Vehicle (SDV) or up to 20 divers and their equipment. (The US Navy version also has a hyperbaric decompression chamber forward of the transfer trunk but the UK version does not appear to have this facility.)

This old but interesting article which continues at - https://www.navylookout.com/in-focus-ro ... y-systems/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout

HMS Ambush visits Grotsund near Tromsø to familiarise RN with new facilities to sustain NATO submarines in the Arctic.
See - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... -in-norway
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

UK’s Royal Navy to boost hunter-killer submarines with Tomahawk missile system

UK’s Royal Navy has revealed plans to enhance its hunter-killer submarines with the latest cruise missile system.

Specifically, all Astute-class boats are to receive boosted Tomahawks as part of a £265 million upgrade to the submarines’ premier long-range weapon.

The Tomahawk Land Attack Missile (TLAM) has been upgraded from the existing model, Block IV, to V, to ensure it remains effective against future threats and defences.

As a result, the UK’s stockpile of Block IVs is scheduled to be turned into Block Vs in a five-year programme, starting in July.

Continues at - https://www.navaltoday.com/2022/05/31/u ... wk-system/

Link from Tim.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Navy’s newest submarine HMS Audacious completes her maiden deployment

HMS Audacious has conducted NATO maritime security patrols in the Mediterranean on her maiden operational deployment.

Before deploying, HMS Audacious carried out operational sea training off the coast of Scotland. Following her operations in the Arctic, HMS Ambush joined her sister HMS Audacious in the waters off Scotland to conduct head-to-head underwater tactical training in a range of warfare scenarios. During this period several of the boats’ crew also earned their dolphins. This involves an intense period of development and tests for trainees as they learn how to safely operate hundreds of valves and pieces of equipment on board in order to qualify as submariners.

After loading Tomahawk missiles in Gibraltar, the boat headed into the Mediterranean and completed exercises with NATO units including Greek, Turkish and US allies testing the submarine’s ability to evade, track and engage surface and subsurface targets. It also provided a rare opportunity for NATO navies to test themselves against an Astute-class boat.

Continues, including photos, at - https://www.navylookout.com/royal-navys ... eployment/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

An overhead view of the retracted masts on HMS Ambush, a Royal Navy Astute Class attack submarine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “RN Submarines”