Battleships: North Carolina Class

Add your posts about the US Navy in this section
Brian James

Battleships: North Carolina Class

Unread post by Brian James »

USS North Carolina pictured as she hits the Ark Floating Restaurant, whilst being moved into her berth as a museum ship,1961.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
designeraccd

Re: Battleships: North Carolina Class

Unread post by designeraccd »

and from her glory days................. :) DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Brian James wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:59 am USS North Carolina pictured as she hits the Ark Floating Restaurant, whilst being moved into her berth as a museum ship,1961.
Ahhh a takeaway Dennis :?:
God Ill bet someone was roasted for that , grief theres enough tugs to hand , thanks for the photo's ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
ivorthediver

designeraccd wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:00 pm and from her glory days................. :) DFO
Glory being the operative word Dennis brilliant looking Gun platform , love the paint touch up in photo 2 ;)
designeraccd

Given what the WASHINGTON did to KIRISHIMA off Guadalcanal, at essentially point blank range for those BIG 16" 45 guns........ :shock: DFO
ivorthediver

Them big Guns MAMA , I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of them Dennis
designeraccd

Likewise!!! 122mm rockets were bad enough!! :o DFO
designeraccd

They served as "fast" battleships, but with a maximum of 27 knots they really could not keep up with 33 knot ESSEX class carriers. They served for a while as training ships, however battleships are not inexpensive to run and maintain. Given the large number of modern cruisers the USN had, that could pace the carriers, the 27 knot BBs (all 6) had a very limited life left.

They were all mothballed and never served on active duty again. I remember seeing both NORTH CAROLINAS and, IIRC, at least 2 of the SOUTH DAKOTAS ? mothballed at a isle in New York harbor circa 1955-56, while crossing to NYC on a ferry. The first battleships I had ever seen!! A memorable little water borne jaunt. :D Based on the pic I have, the SOUTH DAKOTAS were both of the ALASKA class large cruisers...my ship ID left a bit to be desired way back then. :oops: DFO
designeraccd

Another pic of mothballed WASHINGTON and NORTH CAROLINA....DFO
ivorthediver

Re: North Carolina Class Battleships.

designeraccd wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:18 am They served as "fast" battleships, but with a maximum of 27 knots they really could not keep up with 33 knot ESSEX class carriers. They served for a while as training ships, however battleships are not inexpensive to run and maintain. Given the large number of modern cruisers the USN had, that could pace the carriers, the 27 knot BBs (all 6) had a very limited life left.

They were all mothballed and never served on active duty again. I remember seeing both NORTH CAROLINAS and, IIRC, at least 2 of the SOUTH DAKOTAS ? mothballed at a isle in New York harbor circa 1955-56, while crossing to NYC on a ferry. The first battleships I had ever seen!! A memorable little water borne jaunt. :D Based on the pic I have, the SOUTH DAKOTAS were both of the ALASKA class large cruisers...my ship ID left a bit to be desired way back then. :oops: DFO
That is one hell of a storage facility there Dennis , complete with a Dry dock I see ,
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “United States Navy”