Merry Christmas

Want some off topic chat? Pull up a bar stool and make yourself at home here
greendragon

Re: Merry Christmas

Unread post by greendragon »

To all the Forum members very Merry Christmas and prosperous coming year.
Prosperous - mean - in good health !!!

gd

A story I have found as I remember in the outstanding BBC collection of WW2 memories called People's War .
Unfortunately I have not recorded the link in favorites and I am not able to give more details.

A British matelot (MN?) remembered that on X-mas day he was on a ship in a convoy . The seamen were in one of the crew rooms when someone entered in shouting "come over outside, you will see something".
The rushed and being on the deck they saw a "Yank destroyer" going along rows of merchant ships columns.
It has a Christmas tree attached on top to superstructure ( foremast ?) the ship loudspeakers were playing carols, wishes were announced By the DD skipper and a matelot wearing a Santa Claus red "uniform" with big white beard was walking among the crew and his "ho-ho-ho" was also heard.
The Brits were all very moved because this so vividly reminded them their homes and family members and the event was so much unusual in war, under threat of attacks or "just" cruel treatment of angry Atlantic.
The author said that he liked the Americans but after this he liked them even more.

gd
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Many thanks for your good wishes GD, and wishing the same to you and your family.
Merry Christmas to all of our Forum members and thank you all for your posts and contributions in the year gone by.

Jim

merry christmas.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

May I add our best wishes to all the "Old Hands" of the Forum , some we hear from on a regular basis , others only occasionally but all logging on to view what posts of interest they recall .

Like most elements of life , the list grows shorter each year sadly but for those who are still around both Karen and I extend the seasons greetings to you all

Warmest Regards ....Ivor and Karen
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

HI to all forum members - just popped on to wish you all a very Happy Christmas.

Continued apologies for lack of activity on here by me but you all know the circumstances of my household.

Take care and I will try to get back on on New Years Day.
Little h
jbryce1437

Little h wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:49 pm HI to all forum members - just popped on to wish you all a very Happy Christmas.

Continued apologies for lack of activity on here by me but you all know the circumstances of my household.

Take care and I will try to get back on on New Years Day.
Many thanks Harry, nice of you to pop in and we wish you and yours seasons greetings.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
Retired since 2002
Little h

Wishing all forum members and their families a Happy New Year!!!
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

May your lights shine brightly over the Christmas Jim, cheers David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
jbryce1437

Pelican wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:28 pm May your lights shine brightly over the Christmas Jim, cheers David
Many thanks David, I hope you have a lovely Christmas and a healthy and prosperous 2024

Jim
merry christmas.jpg
Retired since 2002
Little h

Hi gang I'm back on line after having been off for approx 6 months ... with brand new laptop, in a new address (sheltered bungalow) so Happy Christmas to you all. Got a bit of reading up to do I guess.

Little h
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

A very warm welcome back Harry, CHEERS! David
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Wardroom”