HMS Musketeer again

Add your posts about the Polish Navy in this section
greendragon

HMS Musketeer again

Unread post by greendragon »

A sad anniversary has just passed.
On the 08 OCT 1943 Polish destroyer ORP Orkan (ex HMS Myrmidon) was sunk by a Gnat acoustic torpedo when together with three HM destroyers Musketeer, Oribi and Orwell was on patrol, sweeping the area for the convoy SC143 SW Iceland.
The torpedo fired by U378 had devastating effect on the beautiful smart ship which after secondary explosion of fuel and ammunition sunk in four minutes.
It is said the ships were line abreast seven miles distant from each other.
HMS Musketeer (CDR E. Currey) which was neighbouring ship to Orkan saw the explosion and when Oribi and Orwell secured the area from possible another attack he started rescue operation at 0705hrs, one hour after Orkan was hit and sunk.
Till 0745 44 (43?) survivors were taken on the Musketeer deck : 40 Polish and three of the British Naval Liaison (BNLO) team.
178 Polish, 6 HM personnel of the Orkan BLNO team and some 15-20 additional British naval personnel which was on transfer from Iceland to England perished. That was the biggest loss of personnel of the PL Navy in WW2.
The last group of killed seems to be controversial for the list of the HMN personnel losses on that black day does not mention additional RN names besides those of the BNLO team. Probably other services ?
In the best tradition of the RN seven members of Musketeer jumped to icy sea water, tied up to ropes and dragged to the ship nets those who were exhausted, frozen stiff and not able to move.
They were:
-LT E.P. Griffiths
-LT T.S. Symons
and men (rank unknown):
K. Carman
T. Drysoale
A. Harrison
K. May
J. McLean

There are memories of two survivors.
Polish seamen who was grabbed in sea by a British seamen, dragged to the destroyers side by his hair to the net and then on the deck.
Another story of pure miracle was told by the only surviving officer LT Pohorecki who grabbed the net but was unable to climb up on it and on to the deck.
...." the ship (Musketeer) was low of fuel and was rolling heavily when I grabbed the net. First she rolled on me and I thought I am done because I was dragged under water but moment later she rolled opposite side and I was literally catapulted from the sea straight to the deck of Musketeer. "

U378 did not survived much longer.
The ship was spotted N of Azores on the 20 OCT by the team of Wildcat and Avenger from USS Core; routinely (as for the USN) straffed, bombed and a Fido (also the acoustic torpedo) finished the submarine.
All hands (44) were lost.

Regards,

GD
ivorthediver

Re: HMS Musketeer again

Unread post by ivorthediver »

greendragon wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:52 pm A sad anniversary has just passed.
On the 08 OCT 1943 Polish destroyer ORP Orkan (ex HMS Myrmidon) was sunk by a Gnat acoustic torpedo when together with three HM destroyers Musketeer, Oribi and Orwell was on patrol, sweeping the area for the convoy SC143 SW Iceland.
The torpedo fired by U378 had devastating effect on the beautiful smart ship which after secondary explosion of fuel and ammunition sunk in four minutes.
It is said the ships were line abreast seven miles distant from each other.
HMS Musketeer (CDR E. Currey) which was neighbouring ship to Orkan saw the explosion and when Oribi and Orwell secured the area from possible another attack he started rescue operation at 0705hrs, one hour after Orkan was hit and sunk.
Till 0745 44 (43?) survivors were taken on the Musketeer deck : 40 Polish and three of the British Naval Liaison (BNLO) team.
178 Polish, 6 HM personnel of the Orkan BLNO team and some 15-20 additional British naval personnel which was on transfer from Iceland to England perished. That was the biggest loss of personnel of the PL Navy in WW2.
The last group of killed seems to be controversial for the list of the HMN personnel losses on that black day does not mention additional RN names besides those of the BNLO team. Probably other services ?
In the best tradition of the RN seven members of Musketeer jumped to icy sea water, tied up to ropes and dragged to the ship nets those who were exhausted, frozen stiff and not able to move.
They were:
-LT E.P. Griffiths
-LT T.S. Symons
and men (rank unknown):
K. Carman
T. Drysoale
A. Harrison
K. May
J. McLean

There are memories of two survivors.
Polish seamen who was grabbed in sea by a British seamen, dragged to the destroyers side by his hair to the net and then on the deck.
Another story of pure miracle was told by the only surviving officer LT Pohorecki who grabbed the net but was unable to climb up on it and on to the deck.
...." the ship (Musketeer) was low of fuel and was rolling heavily when I grabbed the net. First she rolled on me and I thought I am done because I was dragged under water but moment later she rolled opposite side and I was literally catapulted from the sea straight to the deck of Musketeer. "

U378 did not survived much longer.
The ship was spotted N of Azores on the 20 OCT by the team of Wildcat and Avenger from USS Core; routinely (as for the USN) straffed, bombed and a Fido (also the acoustic torpedo) finished the submarine.
All hands (44) were lost.

Regards,

GD
Thank you GD , a moving revelation of heroic proportions , which at the time we're unremarkable but today seem unbelievable ....but the pendulum of fate tried to address the balance of the books of that day..... yet failed ....... so thank you for factually recalling this sad event .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Polish Navy”