Replenishment at Sea (RAS) Underway Replenishment (UNREP) - Incidents - All Navies/All Classes

Post here about equipment carried on ships
Little h

Re: Replenishment at Sea (RAS) Underway Replenishment (UNREP) - Incidents - All Navies/All Classes

Unread post by Little h »

ROYAL AUSTRALIAN NAVY
TELEPHONE:
IN REPLY QUOTE: 1/16/2 (JAN!)
HMAS TORRENS at Hong Kong

Maritime Commander (AUSTRALIA)
Maritime Headquarters

HMAS TORRENS -REPORT OF PROCEEDINGS -DECEMBER 1989

Sir, 1.(U) I have the honour to report the proceedings of HMA Ship TORRENS under my command for the month of December 1989. Time zone Hotel (-8) is used throughout.

-----------------------------------------------------
(page 2)

-----------------------------------------------------

7.(R) After an uneventful weekend, both ships sailed at 1000 Monday 11 for the Subic Bay Exercise Areas in order to recover some of the planned activities for this month. To provide some flexibility for operations during the week, a replenishment was arranged for both ships with USNS ANDREW J. HIGGINS (Charles Becker -Master) for the evening of Tuesday 12. Rendezvous was effected at 1115 on that evening and at 1950 TORRENS commenced replenishing in moderate conditions. At 2045 the ship was struck an exceptionally large wave which swept the fo'c'sle and washed [redacted] over the side [redacted] was also injured by the wave, but was fortunate enough to remain on deck. All personnel were recovered into the sea boat within fifteen minutes, and of the men overboard, only Leading Seaman [redacted] was ~~uninjured. In view of the number of casualties sustained in this incident I abandoned the planned exercise programme. Once the casualties had been treated and made comfortable, TORRENS and STUART commenced a 25 knot fast passage to Hong Kong to land the personnel injured. My report on this incident is contained in my letter 1/17/1 dated 15 December 1989. STUART was detached to proceed independently to harbour. and TORRENS continued at high speed to berth at 1800, Wednesday 19 at TAMAR. The casualties were landed to the British Military Hospital on arrival.

(page 3)

Two of the casualties were released on Monday 18, and a third on Thursday 21. The remaining sailor, Able Seaman [redacted] was discharged from hospital on Friday 22 and returned to Australia by air on Saturday 30.

(note; no para 8.)

9. (U) TORRENS remained alongside at TAMAR until the end of the year................................................

I have the honour to be,
Sir,
Your obedient servant,

R.E. SWINNERTON
Commander RAN

Commanding Officer
Little h
Little h

Re: Replenishment at Sea (RAS) Underway Replenishment (UNREP) - Incidents - All Navies/All Classes

HMAS Westralia and HMAS Torrens UNREP/RAS 1st Feb 1994 - fortunately no one on fo'csle were washed overboard

Freak wave hits fwd section of ship - sweeps nine of the fo'csle party off their feet - three require medical attention - remainder
suffer cuts and bruises, see:-

Screenshot (5474).png
Screenshot (5468).jpg
(page 11 of 41)

Source; this PDF article titled HMAS TORRENS Hit by Freak Wave in Southern Ocean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Little h

A moment of reflection - or a suitable reminder!!!

Having placed a number posts on the thread to date, I thought it only expedient to remind readers/viewers that it (the thread) relates to reported incidents that have occurred, on the approach to, during, or immediately after an UNREP/RAS/CONREP/VERTREP type evolution.

It does not reflect the vast majority (thousands) of such evolutions that have been (and still are) conducted day and night without incident (or reported incidents); many of which can now be read on t'internet or viewed on sites like YouTube .... but; as is the case when conducting various naval evolutions - it's not without danger.
Little h
Little h

USS Midway CV-41 - (formerly CVA 41, formerly CVB 41)

Date; early 1964

Where; Western Pacific

Events; During an underway replenishment, MIDWAY's number 3 aircraft elevator is hit and lifted by a large wave. Parts of the wave also wash over the elevator almost washing several crewmembers into the sea. A subsequent large wave lifts the elevator again and breaks it from its guides. As a result the cables snap and the elevator falls into the sea. MIDWAY got a new elevator in June 1964 during a yard period at Hunters Point Shipyard at San Francisco, Calif.

____________________________________________________________________________________
See also the following article relating to the same incident:-

GONE WITH THE WAVES: MIDWAY’s AIRCRAFT ELEVATOR

Welcome back to Karl’s Korner, a historical segment written by myself, Karl Zingheim – Ship Historian of the USS Midway Museum.

ONE WINTER DAY

Source; midway.org/blog
Little h
Little h

Little h wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:37 pm USS Midway CV-41 - (formerly CVA 41, formerly CVB 41)

Date; early 1964

Where; Western Pacific

Events; During an underway replenishment, MIDWAY's number 3 aircraft elevator is hit and lifted by a large wave. Parts of the wave also wash over the elevator almost washing several crewmembers into the sea. A subsequent large wave lifts the elevator again and breaks it from its guides. As a result the cables snap and the elevator falls into the sea. MIDWAY got a new elevator in June 1964 during a yard period at Hunters Point Shipyard at San Francisco, Calif.

____________________________________________________________________________________
See also the following article relating to the same incident:-

GONE WITH THE WAVES: MIDWAY’s AIRCRAFT ELEVATOR

Welcome back to Karl’s Korner, a historical segment written by myself, Karl Zingheim – Ship Historian of the USS Midway Museum.

ONE WINTER DAY

Source; midway.org/blog

Oops re. first excerpt I neglected :oops: to include the Source; navysite.de
Little h
Little h

USS Sacremento (AOE-1) in collision with USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72)
- (a clear case of - come inboard, why don't ya!!)

The collision - how navysite.de reported on USS Sacramento AOE-1):-
Screenshot (5506).png

The collision - how navysite.de reported on USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72):-
Screenshot (5509).png
Screenshot (5507).png
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also:-

What was said in the n8ltg.blogspot.com in a piece titled -Tales from the Love Shaque:-

WestPac '95 was a very eventful cruise, wrought with plane crashes and the like. One day, while in the Persian Gulf, we were doing a routine underway replenishment (UNREP) with our oiler, the USS Sacramento AOE1. (also known as the Scrapmetal!)

This is one time I wish I'd been on the flight deck with the rest of the postal peeps, but I was working the window that day. We were getting ready to open for business when an alarm started sounding. All alarms are tested before getting underway, so you sort of get conditioned to hearing the 3 alarms; general, chemical and collision, all together in a pattern. So hearing the collision alarm going off made the few of us in the PO pause and look at each other in confusion. Then a huge jostle happened that almost knocked us over! Each area has a TV showing the flight deck. We saw a quick glimpse of chaos on the plat before it shut off.

The Sacramento had lost it's steering and went off course - crashing into the side of the Lincoln! Minimal damage was done to us - the catwalks along the edge of the flightdeck were crushed, a couple planes had tail damage, but nothing horrible.

037a AOE-1 USS Sacramento collides with USS Abe Lincoln love shaque.jpg

The Sac, on the other hand, sustained a LOT ! These pictures are from the cruise book. This area of the Sac is the bridge wing - the lookout areas and such next to the bridge where the ship is steered from. The oil booms were also damaged. I heard a very high-up officer had been standing out there, observing the UNREP and barely got out of the way!

038a.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the Menu Bar

About me...
Welcome to my little corner of the Interwebz....

My name is Lisa Love. I am a wife, a dance mom, a Christian, a Domestic Goddess, a US Navy veteran and a full-time billing clerk at a trucking company. I am a ham radio operator (look at the url of this blog - that's my callsign). I am a Weight Watcher & also a half-assed FlyBaby. I have a wide variety of interests, so my posts may be a bit scattered. I write about whatever floats my boat at the moment.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Plus:-

A report from the Kitsap Sun in an article titled - NAVY ACCIDENT: USS Sacramento collides with carrier
by Lloyd Pritchett Sun Staff — Jun 6th, 1995

he Sacramento probably will not return to Bremerton early despite sustaining damage in a collision with the Abraham Lincoln in the Persian Gulf.

The Bremerton-based fast combat support ship USS Sacramento collided with the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln in the Persian Gulf Monday, damaging the Sacramento and injuring at least one crew member.

Both ships continued to operate under their own power after the accident, but the 793-foot Sacramento returned to port to evaluate topside structural damage, U.S. Naval Forces Central Command said in a prepared statement.

The nuclear-powered Abraham Lincoln continued with its mission of enforcing sanctions against Iraq and sending out warplanes to patrol the "no-fly zone" over southern Iraq established at the end of the 1990-91 Gulf War.

The Navy did not identify the injured Sacramento crew member. A Reuters news report said the sailor suffered bruises during the collision.

The collision took place during an underway replenishment at sea, Central Command reported. The Sacramento, under the command of Capt. Steven Hinson, was transferring food, fuel and supplies to the Abraham Lincoln using special connecting lines.

The 1,092-foot Abraham Lincoln entered the Persian Gulf through the Strait of Hormuz on Saturday. The Navy did not specify the exact locations of its vessels.

The Sacramento and Abraham Lincoln are traveling together as part of a multiship U.S. battle group on a six-month deployment to the Persian Gulf, Indian Ocean and Far East.

The Navy vessels departed the United States in late March and are scheduled to return in September.

The Sacramento has been based in Bremerton since the 1970s. The Abraham Lincoln will change its home port from Alameda, Calif., to Bremerton later this year. It will transfer to Everett following a one-year overhaul.

Cindy Kaiser of Kingston, a USS Sacramento ombudsman who acts as a liaison between the ship and crew members' families, said she understood that damage to the ship was not serious enough for it to return home for repairs before the end of its deployment.

Information about damage to the Sacramento or the cause of the collision was sketchy because the ship still has not undergone a complete examination. It was scheduled to return to port in the Persian Gulf about midnight or 1 a.m. this morning.

There was an unconfirmed report that the Sacramento's steering malfunctioned during the underway replenishment, causing the ship to veer into the Abraham Lincoln.

The Pentagon referred all questions about the collision to the Navy's Central Command headquarters in Manama, Bahrain, but no one answered the phone there. Military news desks in the Puget Sound, San Diego and Alameda, Calif., Washington, D.C., and at Central Command headquarters in Florida all said they had no further information.

Logistics Group 1 in Alameda, Calif., the USS Sacramento's type command, reportedly is keeping families of crew members in-formed about the accident.

Some families said they were told by the Logistics Group that three compartments on the Sacramento were damaged, along with some exterior equipment.

The families also were told that a malfunction in the Sacramento's steering system may have been to blame for the collision.

The exact cause will be determined during today's inspection.

Logistics Group 1 personnel refused to confirm the reports about the USS Sacramento.

A lieutenant junior grade denied permission for The Sun to speak with the command's public affairs officer and then hung up.

The 30-year-old Sacramento, one of the last ships built at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, has a crew of about 600 men and women.

The Abraham Lincoln, commanded by Capt. R.J. Nibe, carries a crew of about 3,000 men and women, plus an air wing with an additional 3,000 personnel.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Little h

USS Camden in collision with USS HANCOCK (CV-19) - (brings an entirely different slant to traditional cross-decking)

USS Hancock - formerly TICONDEROGA - later (CVA-19 and CV-19)

From USS HANCOCK The Fighting Hannah ORAL HISTORY

Thomas "Rosey" Rosenberg, GMT2 (Ret) W Division - 1968-1971 U.S.S. HANCOCK (CV-19)

A run in with the USS Camden AOE-2 (Fast Combat Support Ship)
November 26, 1968

I have read some of the other entries about the collision with the USS Camden so thought I'd add my memory of that day. I was a GMT3 in "W" Div at the time and on occasion we would "volunteer" to help with the un-rep, especially if there were lots of stores, bombs and other miscellaneous supplies coming over.

Since our division was fairly small, I and another seaman were put on a detail with some folks from, I believe, "G" Div. I remember we had made at least a few trips taking stores below (after 44 years it's hard to remember the minor details) and when I returned to the hanger bay looking out one of the doors all I could see was a wall of grey! I was thinking to myself "that does not look right" and also wondering if they decided just to start throwing the supplies onto our deck or, as they were close enough, just handing them across to our crew!

About that time I heard just about the loudest horn ever and sailors came running into the hanger bay! Some covered with black oil and their eyes as big as half dollars; others running and laughing while looking back at what was happening, but basically getting the hell out of the way just as fast as they could! I was also hearing the very loud ka-boom, clang, bang, bam and the terrible ripping, tearing and screeching sound of metal- it was something I had never heard before or for that matter since.

There seemed to be sailors running and shouting all over the place, most heading to the safety of the hanger bay and some coming to the starboard side to aid and assist if needed. There was oil, hoses and lines flying around and as I started to head to the starboard aircraft elevator I could see bits and pieces of other things in the air too. Of course all this took about a minute or so, maybe a little less or maybe a little more as the two ships began to separate.

I then decided I needed a better view so kept heading toward the elevator and could then see about the same thing going on over on the Camden with sailors yelling and scrambling on their deck. About that time I realized I was seeing a most amazing sight- there was an F8 sitting on her deck wrapped up in oil and transfer lines! It also looked like a couple of men were getting someone out of the cockpit or off the nose of the fighter.

As I looked forward I could also see "wrinkles" on the Camden about 30-40 feet aft of her bow, maybe 8 to 10 feet long. Kinda like a fender bender between two cars (older model real metal cars that is) but much bigger of course!

About that time a chief started yelling at us to "get the hell out of here unless you are damage control or corpsman as there would not be any more Un-rep today!!" (Those are not exactly the words he used but knowing others besides old salts might read this….) I hurried down to our spaces and to the Magazine where most of our guys were working on a couple of weapons and told them the story- but of course they would not believe me as they had not felt or noticed anything! About that time the 1MC started squawking and they knew then something had happened and they started pumping me with questions. I did not get a long look as when a chief barks, you move, but do remember there was quite a bit of damage to the Camden and I do believe a few sailors on the Camden were injured but none were serious.

I also remember that the scuttlebutt was the plane captain of the F8 was in the cockpit and went over with it. (I think that's what I saw - them pulling him out). It was also put out that our Captain was going to write him up for going UA but that in his defense he did "stay with his ship "and that the Camden had taken him by force!! ha!

The Hanna sustained some damage to the starboard elevator and along the catwalk area but again, I can't remember for sure if we had to pull off the line, but I believe our repair crews (what divisions or who did flight deck repairs?) got out their bubblegum, bailing wire, hammer, pliers and screw drivers and using their own initiative, innovation, elbow grease and sweat, kept us flying just like most times. It was hard to keep our ship from flying our missions! Our flight days were many and our down times were few, if any. This was my first cruise and quite an experience for a simple country boy from the Siskiyou Mountains!!

Thomas "Rosey" Rosenberg, GMT2 (Ret)
Ships Company- June 1968-May 1971

Comment: You can find more on the USS Camden Collision (this was a true Collison and not a 'near-collision' as often reported) - go Here.

Submitted 9/16/2012

(Article copied in full)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The collision - how navysite.de reported on USS Camden (AOE-2):-

Screenshot (5492).png

The collision - how navysite.de reported on USS Hancock (CV-19):-

Screenshot (5493).png

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also:-

The collision - Navsource entry relating to the event:-
Screenshot (5511).png

The images showing the aircraft aboard the Camden:-
021981 camden AOE-2 after collision with USS Hancock Navsource.jpg
021981a camden AOE-2 after collision with USS Hancock Navsource.jpg
Little h
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Ships/Boats Equipment”