Trinity House

Threads relating to the Merchant Navy and Maritime Safety
Little h

Trinity House

Unread post by Little h »

NavyLookout on twitter
@NavyLookout
5h5 hours ago

Merchant Navy Scholarship Scheme Deck Officer Cadets train with the Royal Navy on board @HMS_Forth

This last year has seen 145 RN to MN liaison voyages. RN wants to return that favour by making the best use of training berths

-------------------------------------

Going Forth

Merchant Navy Scholarship Scheme Deck Officer Cadet Bethany Wilkinson has spent time training with the Royal Navy

She described her recent experiences on the scheme:

One of the main reasons I wanted to do my cadetship with Trinity House was due to being able to gain experience on a wide variety of ships. Never in a million years did I think I would find myself stood on the dock at the Her Majesty's Naval Base Portsmouth about to join a brand new first of class Royal Navy ship, an Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV) called HMS Forth, and gain accredited sea time while being on board.

I had a vague idea of how much training the Royal Navy does before even setting foot on a ship, so to say I was nervous in those initial moments is an understatement!

I was welcomed on board by one of the Young Officers (the Royal Navy’s equivalent to a cadet) and shown around the ship and were I would be staying. The ship is a much different layout to anything I have grown accustomed to and I spent the first few days getting lost but there was always a friendly face to show me the way.

My nerves quickly went when I found how welcoming and helpful the crew were, especially when I found myself almost immediately in at the deep end and being involved with all aspects of the ship’s various routines. HMS Forth was undergoing FOST (Flag Officer Sea Training) and OST (Operational Sea Training) to ensure both ship and all crew were up to the correct standard and able to cope with the various and worst-case scenarios she could encounter while at sea.

We set sail from Portsmouth, the first time—for both the ship and me—under a white ensign. The duration of my time on board was spent in UK waters around the south coast.

(Continues)

The liaison scheme

The scheme’s co-ordinator is the Royal Navy’s Merchant Navy Liaison Officer Lt Cdr David Carter MNM LL.B RNR, a Younger Brother of Trinity House.

Lt Cdr Carter added: “Bethany has been a super pilot for formalising this exchange and the Royal Navy is liaising with the MCA on mutual training recognition for sea time accreditation. We have more to follow on HMS Forth and the next OPV HMS Medway.”

The Royal Navy has berths allowing for 80 Merchant Navy Engineer Cadets every year; this is part of a mutual Royal Navy to Merchant Navy training exchange, as the former works towards full MCA qualifications.

“We have an enhanced industry sponsored RN Fastrack Maritime Scheme under MCA Memorandum of Understanding to ease and improve RN to MN resettlement pathways as part of our Maritime 2050 policy commitment; the future is RN and MN together for win-wins on multiple paths. This last year has seen 145 RN to MN liaison voyages, and that number is growing as Royal Navy personnel join Merchant Navy ships to gain STCW-accredited training time. The Royal Navy wants to return that favour by making the best use of our training berths.”

Sources;

Trinity House Articles Going Forth

NavyLookout @NavyLookout (linked above)

This article originally appeared in the autumn 2019 edition of Flash
Little h
ivorthediver

Re: Trinity House

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Thanks Harry for such an interesting post on a subject I had scant knowledge of , and now have a greater respect for ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

NAUTILUS INTERNATIONAL

Education and training
Helping ex-Royal Navy seafarers transfer smoothly into the Merchant Navy
5 March 2019

It's been a long time coming, but this year will see the introduction of a formal route for some Royal Navy seafarers to convert their qualifications and seatime into UK Merchant Navy certification – and further developments are on the way…

A new fast-track scheme has been launched for suitably-qualified Royal Navy personnel to transfer into the Merchant Navy on leaving the service.

Intended for RN warfare officers and marine engineers of all ranks, the Fastrack Maritime Scheme builds upon the reissue of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the UK Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA) in 2018.

The scheme has had input from Trinity House, the Merchant Navy Training Board (MNTB) and Chiltern Maritime, as well as the Royal Navy itself. Eligible RN seafarers can now use their existing qualifications to reduce their induction training and achieve salaried transfer to the Merchant Navy – and onwards into the wider maritime sector, both afloat and ashore.

Lieutenant Thomas Stapley-Bunten is the first to benefit from the new scheme. He is set to leave his role on the training staff at Britannia Royal Naval College in Dartmouth this year, after a successful career as a Royal Navy warfare officer. The 26-year-old, who has previously served as the commanding officer of HMS Example,is being sponsored by Trinity House in its capacity as a maritime charity. The scheme attracts SMarT funding from the UK government and is administered by Chiltern Maritime Limited. It is modelled on the training and finance pathway on the Merchant Navy's graduated engineer entry scheme.

Although this scheme is currently only open to warfare officers and marine engineers, the Royal Navy is developing an ambitious full MCA parity programme for future personnel

Source of excerpt above NAUTILUS INTERNATIONAL - where the remainder of this interesting article can be read and images(captioned) viewed/read.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Nautilus International
Our union

Nautilus International is an independent, influential, global trade union and professional organisation, committed to delivering high quality, cost-effective services to members, and welfare support to necessitous seafarers, their dependants and other maritime professionals.
Little h
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well done Harry and a brilliant idea set to help those who may otherwise have been fronted by tedium whilst trying to use their hard earned experience ........good post and thanks for sharing
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Posts Dedicated to the Merchant Navy, Maritime Safety and Shipbuilding”