RN Minelaying Cruiser: HMS Adventure

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Brian James

RN Minelaying Cruiser: HMS Adventure

Unread post by Brian James »

Minelaying Cruiser HMS Adventure pictured c1928...
Laid down at Devonport Royal Dockyard in November 1922 and launched in June 1924, Adventure was the first vessel built for service as a Minelayer, she was also the first warship to use diesel engines, being used for cruising.On entering the service she joined the Atlantic Fleet. From 1931-1932, she underwent a refit. During this refit she received a rounded stern in place of the original square one.
In the early months of the Second World War, she was damaged in the Thames Estuary and was repaired at Sheerness.
In 1940, she laid minefields in the Orkney Islands and St. George's Channel and in 1941 was damaged by a mine while off Liverpool.
In 1944, she was converted to a Landing Craft Repair and Accommodation Ship; in 1945 she was reduced to reserve; and in 1947 was sold to Shipbreakers Thos W Ward. and broken up at Briton Ferry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldsalt

Re: RN Minelaying Cruiser: HMS Adventure

Unread post by oldsalt »

I had a friend ex RM who was in Adventure, he told me the ship was used as a landing craft repair/depot ship during the "D" Day landings.
Brian James

Re: RN Minelaying Cruiser: HMS Adventure

Unread post by Brian James »

Minelaying Light Cruiser HMS Adventure pictured during the 1930's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”