RN Aircraft Carriers: HMS Prince of Wales

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Aircraft Carriers: HMS Prince of Wales

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

P.O.W.

Her mast lowered in order to pass under the bridge prior to dry docking at Rosyth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ROYAL NAVY UPGRADES IT PASSIVE DECOY LAUNCHERS

In this article, we look at the RN’s aspirations to improve its soft-kill countermeasures for defence against anti-ship missiles.
SEA contract
On 7 October, the Maritime Equipment and Warfare team at DE&S placed an order with Systems Engineering & Assessment Ltd (SEA) which includes a technical refresh for the NATO Sea Gnat decoy launcher system, (officially named Outfit DLH in RN service). There have been hopes for some time that the RN will obtain a trainable launcher but for now, SEA says the contract involves “upgrade the ships’ countermeasure capability with a new fixed barrel system”.
The contract also covers control system upgrades to resolve obsolescence issues on the Type 23 frigates’ magazine torpedo launch systems (MTLS). 8 of the frigates will receive the update which includes open architecture to improve integration with the combat system and ease future modifications. Despite the continued investment in existing systems, there has been no order for an MTLS to be fitted to the RN’s Type 26 anti-submarine frigates. Space is allocated in the design and the Australian and Canadian derivatives will carry the weapon.
The £34M contract is the largest the RN has ever awarded to SEA and in addition to the decoy system and MTLS modifications, also included are changes to the air-weapons handling equipment. These are likely to be modifications to handle the new Sea Venom and Martlet missiles safely.
Continues at - https://www.navylookout.com/royal-navy- ... launchers/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMSPWLS starboard tail shaft and propeller were removed by divers before she sailed to Rosyth and lowered to the sea bed. Both items now recovered onto the Jetty.

4 Photos at - https://twitter.com/AWenham1/status/158 ... 62/photo/1
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Time and cost of aircraft carrier repair not yet known

Timelines and estimated costs for the repairs to damaged aircraft carrier HMS Prince of Wales have yet to be established.

The aircraft carrier is currently in drydock at Rosyth in Scotland. The following information came to light via a written Parliamentary question.

Mark Francois, Member of Parliament for Rayleigh and Wickford, asked:
“To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what his latest estimate is of (1) timings and (2) costs for the completion of the current repair work on the propulsion system of HMS Prince of Wales.

Alex Chalk, Minister of State for the Ministry of Defence, responded:
“Timelines and estimated costs for the repairs to HMS PRINCE OF WALES have not yet been determined as investigations to establish the extent of the work required are still ongoing.”

What happened?

Continues at - <https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/time-an ... piZGDnUwHI>
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout

Unconfirmed report by Sheridan Dani of the Telegraph says both propellor shafts on HMSPWLS misaligned - underlying cause of the shaft coupling failure. If true this was a mistake during construction.

As we reported previously, no such problems with HMSQNLZ.

See - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/0 ... -blunders/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

"Anglo-French row erupts over breakdown of Britain’s £3bn aircraft carrier"
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... t-carrier/

Go to - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 3429965826 - And scroll thru comments.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

A recent photo of PoW in Rosyth dry dock.
Still no official statement or details about her recent shaft-bearing problems altho the Adml. i/c of the carrier programme has visited Rosyth.
The dry dock will be required for Q.E.'s Lloyds 5 year inspection which is due soon.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout

A. Kefford reports that HMS PWLS propellor shaft misalignment was known about before she left builders in Rosyth (Sept 2019) but deemed "within tolerance".
See - Attached & https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 90/photo/1
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”