RN Aircraft Carriers: HMS Prince of Wales

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

RN Aircraft Carriers: HMS Prince of Wales

Unread post by Pelican »

P.o.W.

HMS Prince of Wales reached an important milestone this week, conducting the first aviation serial from the carriers ops room.

According to a tweet on the HMS Prince of Wales twitter account:

"HMS Prince of Wales:
We passed an important milestone this week, conducting our first aviation serial from the Ops Room. With the help of a DA-20 Falcon, we tested our radars and important Air Traffic Control equipment which will be essential for conducting aviation at sea"

People I spoke to on-board the vessel on my last visit told me that building HMS Prince of Wales has been “20% to 25%” faster than building its sister ship HMS Queen Elizabeth. When on HMS Queen Elizabeth two years ago, we were told that the build of HMS Prince of Wales was expected to be around 8 months quicker thanks to “lessons learned” in the build process.The Aircraft Carrier Alliance are confident HMS Prince of Wales will be ready for sea trials by November 2019.

From - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/carrier ... fstTs6pLJc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Re: RN Aircraft Carriers: HMS Prince of Wales

Unread post by Pelican »

H.M.S. PRINCE OF WALES

Nothing official yet but a strong buzz is circulating that P.o.W. will leave Rosyth basin next Friday at high tide, subject to weather conditions, especially wind direction and force. She is expected to then anchor prior to proceeding under the 3 bridges probably on the 15th or 16th for builders trials in the north sea. As with Q.E. Invergordon will be used if necessary. Anyone with reliable informaton please post it.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

NavyLookout
@NavyLookout
2h2 hours ago

Latest from reliable sources, although not officially confirmed:

It is now planned HMS Prince of Wales will sail from Rosyth for the first time next Wednesday (18th Sept), weather permitting
Little h
Little h

NavyLookout on twitter
@NavyLookout
1h1 hour ago

HMS Prince of Wales has just appeared on AIS.

Still alongside in Rosyth - no official comment yet on when she will sail. Forecast is for stronger winds tomorrow which is unhelpful for move through very narrow lock entrance. @HMSPWLS
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

P.o.W.

Now expected to move out of the basin around 1600 tomorrow Thursday subject to weather conditions. See attached.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Yes agree good idea Jim.
Recent activity and Tweets from PoW indicate she will move out of the basin and anchor later pm, carry out checks and then pass under the bridges during the weekend. Attached shows tugs going thru the lock earlier in preparation.

For info:
A set of eight stamps, covering 500 years, will commemorate some the navy’s key ships, starting with Henry VIII’s Mary Rose of 1511, and concluding with the giant aircraft carrier, the Queen Elizabeth.
See - https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/r ... 1U?ocid=sf

P.S. From Save the Navy:
"Unfortunately the stamp that says HMS King George V is actually HMS Howe. (oops!)"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/4974201 ... _ybLaZqeYs
Little h

NavyLookout on twitter
@NavyLookout
1h1 hour ago

HMS Prince of wales embarks the Passenger Transfer Boat “Buccanner”

Now you see it :)
EE09iRIWkAEKJe6.jpg
EE09ggJWwAILDVe.jpg
Soon you won't ;)
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

P.o.W
Activity during past 3 hrs at Rosyth - https://twitter.com/hmspwls?lang=en

PTB being stowed.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

A BIG BZ Jim for sorting that out so quickly. TU
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”