RN Aircraft Carriers: HMS Queen Elizabeth

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Aircraft Carriers: HMS Queen Elizabeth

Unread post by Pelican »

Little h wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:16 pm
Pelican wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:18 pm
Little h wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:49 pm Thanks to available family members, I have once again managed a few hours respite from caring duties (6 months and a day since last outing). Went to take a look at HMS Queen Elizabeth R08 aircraft carrier at Liverpool. Not open to visitors but managed to get a few pics of this behemoth of a vessel.... proud to have served in the Royal Navy (1958-74). This photo taken by Grandson No 2 who drove me there and back.
BZ Harry and all the best.
Thank you Sir.
Just for info Harry - A few of the Wrexham RNA lads visited her and were very impressed!
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Lucky sod ,...... ;) bit to far from Camb's to view but glad you enjoyed your visit to her Harry
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

Aft island; although I have never mentioned it in this forum or even the WNSF - the highlighted/captioned antenna array has had me puzzled since I first observed the installation on QNLZ R08 several years ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Little h wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:04 pm Aft island; although I have never mentioned it in this forum or even the WNSF - the highlighted/captioned antenna array has had me puzzled since I first observed the installation on QNLZ R08 several years ago.
Notalot of help but a couple of views of the AE [AEs] at +5 and +6 mins in Harry - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67VQ5snOHUk
Certainly conveys size of the carriers.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Little h

Pelican wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:42 pm
Little h wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:04 pm Aft island; although I have never mentioned it in this forum or even the WNSF - the highlighted/captioned antenna array has had me puzzled since I first observed the installation on QNLZ R08 several years ago.
Notalot of help but a couple of views of the AE [AEs] at +5 and +6 mins in Harry - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67VQ5snOHUk
Certainly conveys size of the carriers.
Yep David, they are big and a whole lot different in apperance to the likes of Ark Royal and Eagle - I'm glad to have been able to catch a glimpse of one of the two in real time but would have loved her to be open to visitors.
Little h
Little h

Quite a police presence on board; on the link span bridges that connect the quayside to the shore and fwd island bridge wing plus two patrol launches (maintaining an exclusion zone from the carrier) - only one shown.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Little h wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:12 pm Quite a police presence on board; on the link span bridges that connect the quayside to the shore and fwd island bridge wing plus two patrol launches (maintaining an exclusion zone from the carrier) - only one shown.
Bearing in mind she had come down from Glen Mallan and what she had loaded there quite understandable no visitors onboard.
Assume the magazines are temperature controlled - the Haynes handbook has not been published yet!
Little h

White mast-like feature sited on the lowered deck edge aircraft lift - what might be the likely function of this feature??
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Q.E. leaving Liverpool this morning.

And

Some of Albion's current AE array, might help by way of comparison.

Also - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... -liverpool
Little h

Pelican wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:25 pm
Q.E. leaving Liverpool this morning.

And

Some of Albion's current AE array, might help by way of comparison.

Also - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... -liverpool
The two QEC carriers are the only ships on which I have observed the outlined/captioned horizontal and vertical whip aerial arrays. The Albion & Bulwark 'Bowman' aerial clusters are also visible on the QEC's as are the NVIS transmit and receive arrays ... however the aerial clusters and NVIS arrays are not so prolific as on the two LPD's.

NVIS = Near Vertical Incidence Skywave
Little h
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”