Panama Canal

Got some ships photographs or videos that you want to share with others? Post them here
oldsalt

Re: Panama Canal

Unread post by oldsalt »

Funny thing about the canal, travel from north to south to get from east to west!
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Following may be of interest:

One of the best books on the canal is David McCullough's The Path Between The Seas 1870-1914 699 pages publishers Simon and Schuster of New York ISBN 0-671 22563-4
But it does'nt cover the new locks, new donkeys Japanese made [!] or improvements like widening.
Recommended to me by an American passenger as we had a few sherberts together down the blunt end whilst going through the Gatan locks on the Sagafjord en-route from Honolulu to Port Lauderdale in 1994.
Superb commentary at appropriate times by an ex Chief Canal Pilot - Cunuard knew how to do things in those days.
Interesting to note that depending on which direction you are sailing at times you are going close to N-S or S-N.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

A backlog of vessels waiting to pass the Panama Canal due to drought-related restrictions has begun to ease in recent days.
The waterway's authority allowed more non-booked ships to pass and others chose alternate routes to avoid the delays.
The Panama Canal Authority last week opened two additional slots per day for vessels without booking to transit to help clear bottlenecks on both sides of the interoceanic corridor.
It has, however, kept the total number of ships passing through to per day to a maximum of 32, versus 36 per day in normal conditions.
A historic drought has slowed shipping through one of the world's busiest waterways amid restrictions implemented in recent months, including reducing the draft of ships passing through and limiting crossings.
As of yesterday, 125 booked and non-booked vessels were waiting to pass, down from more than 160 ships two weeks ago, according to official numbers.

Another 40 vessels were approaching the waterway, versus 50 two weeks ago, according to Refinitiv Eikon data.
"In line with our commitment to providing a reliable and sustainable service, we have chosen to extend booking Condition 3.
"This allows us to manage congestion and ensures ships enroute or in queue, which haven not secured reservations, can still transit in competitive time frames," the canal's authority told Reuters this week.
However, the average wait time for vessels to pass has risen to between ten and 11 days this month, from six-seven days last month.
The waiting surpasses 17 days for cargo vessels and liquefied petroleum gas carriers, and is almost 13 days for tankers.

The delays have caused friction among its neighbours.
Colombia's President Gustavo Petro warned about the drought hitting Panama, while Mexico's President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador insisted on Monday on a long-standing proposal to open a water corridor in his country.
Even though rain has intensified in Panama in recent weeks, the maximum draft authorised by the canal remains restricted to 13.4m, which places weight limitations on ships including container ships, bulk carriers and tankers.
A growing number of ships are trying to avoid the waterway amid the delays, draft restrictions and rising freight costs for consumer goods and commodities between the US and Asia, and from South America to Europe, to China and the US west coast, according to sources and analysts.
"If you're talking about a long-term disruption that could go into the fall, as a shipper I'm going to find a different alternative for my product if I can't count on getting through the (Panama Canal's) locks in a reasonable time," said Abe Eshkenazi, CEO of the Chicago-based Association for Supply Chain Management.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

I had lost sight of this major hurdle to shipping Jim /Dave.... and now hold it in greater respect following your detailed post's :?
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Ship, other Photographs and Videos”