RN Destroyers: Battle Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
ivorthediver

Re: RN Destroyers: Battle Class

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Little h wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:19 pm
ivorthediver wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:59 am
Brian James wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:47 am Battle Class Destroyer HMS Corunna pictured in the Kiel Canal in 1957.
Interesting picture of Corunna [Battle class] as thats the only picture I have ever seen with the Emergency escape hatches opened [Stb midway] ;)
1. Do you mean open whilst underway Ivor?

Late edit;
2. If you think that is folly Ivor - try this one for size:- port side RAS underway; and what appear to be wind scoops (x 3) still in place (swivelled downwards), projecting out of scuttles .... just begging for some oggin to wash up into the compartment inside :oops:

Screenshot (5410).png

The Australian Battle Class destroyer, HMAS Tobruk, (D37), taking aboard fuel from HMAS Sydney ...
Source Australian War Memorial

Later edit; (this time not a 'Battle' but a 'Daring')
3. ... and just as bad yet another port side RAS underway; and again what appears to be wind scoops (this time x 4) still in place (swivelled fwd), projecting out of scuttles.

HMS_Dainty_(D108)_bridge_c1961.jpg

U.S. Navy bandsmen serenade the crew of the British destroyer HMS Dainty (D108) during a refueling drill with a U.S. cruiser.
Date circa 1961

Source Wikimedia Commons
I hoped you would pick up on it Harry ....thanks mate ....glad its not just my ignorance here ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FImvTbu3Qso

just found this silent film, 4 minutes, of exercises in the Med from 1949, there is splendid coverage of a jackstay transfer to Corunna, (4th. DF) a nearly new Battle is first class condition!

the others look like Ch. destroyers from the 1st DF
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

timlewin wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:19 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FImvTbu3Qso

just found this silent film, 4 minutes, of exercises in the Med from 1949, there is splendid coverage of a jackstay transfer to Corunna, (4th. DF) a nearly new Battle is first class condition!

Good find Tim.

Enjoyed that - thanks!
Little h
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

timlewin wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:19 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FImvTbu3Qso

Many thanks for the find Tim, was particularly impressed with the line up in Gibraltar near the end.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
timlewin

indeed, days of glory....
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

What a great bit of film, brings back memories.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Battle Class Destroyers of the 4th Destroyer Flotilla, late 1940s...HMS Corunna (D97), HMS Aisne (D22), HMS Barrosa (D68) and the fourth ship with no pennant number is Flotilla Leader HMS Agincourt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timlewin

some I forgot as they were in the HMSB folder; ironic as when Corunna, D97 went to the knackers her wheel was presented to TTL which some kindly and expert chippy had converted to a coffee table. this followed TTL through most of his senior appointments in the MoD and Falklands, Portsmouth Home Command and Fleet in between, and then into retirement. When he died it came to me but I had nowhere to put it. When the admiral's flat containing the emergency steering wheel in HMSB was renovated some 10/12 years ago they had no wheels so I donated Corunna's wheel to the ship. Brad King, then director came and collected it in his red Morgan, we lashed it to the spare wheel on the transom. Here it is, and some pictures of Belfast and Corunna sharing retirement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

And very nice it looks to Tim , a thoughtful gesture and looks as if it was always there .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

The shot of the four Battles if my memory serves me is the same Squadron from the Med Fleet 1956 when I was on 1st DS . They shared Sliema Creek with our Squadron ,Chieftain , Chevron , Chaplet and one other who I think , for one reason or another never joined us .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”