WWII - U Boat Documentary

Add your posts and photographs about battles and other actions in this section
Pelican

WWII - U Boat Documentary

Unread post by Pelican »

U Boat War Documentary on the Submarine Battle of World War 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_KcQ9q ... Ozp9SXqahM

Over 2 hrs 30 mins long but read some of the comments.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Re: WW II - U Boat Documentary

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Works for me , thanks David , ill view that later :)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
greendragon

Re: WWII - U Boat Documentary

Unread post by greendragon »

I have watched the documentary being at the beginning sort of sceptical.
Found this very interesting and properly built. Many information which for some reasons are not widely spread by popular media like TV ptogrammes.
I.e part about Captain Walker, the famous HM officer. It does not avoid (in today times a rare thing) an opinion about him that he was "ruthless". That was the way to defeat his enemy - u-boats.
I (of course) have the Captain Walker biography book and this confirmed opinion from the a/m documentary. Captain was one of those from then so numerous British who - as one of your British historians said - "...wanted the Germans to be on their knees or dead".

By saying "sceptical" I would like to express my feelings on many documentaries presented in the NatGeo, history channels etc.
Thay are all built on couple the following legs: rise of u-boat power, initial success, operation Drumbeat (the must!), more successes. It takes 80-90% of the time. Then sometimes short remark about summer 1943, numerous and technical advantage of the Allies, summ up of the losses on both sides. Shepke's, Prien's, Kretchmer (and his binoculars) plus one or two u-boat captains biography included. Nothing about Captain Walker, McIntire, UK&US war effort. Pretty fake picture of the u-boat waffe and its personnel. Certainly their life and fight in WW2 was similar to their opponents on the Allies side except one crucial factor: their war was on the evil Nazi side.

Regards,

GD
ivorthediver

Re: WWII - U Boat Documentary

Unread post by ivorthediver »

I can only concur with your comments GD , and whilst it was educational , it did tend to follow the same route as there predecessors .

However the poor lip sync and editing left you with a amateurish presentation of a very intense subject , however taken overall it was as I say educational
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Battles, other Actions and Naval History”