Envoy Class Tugs

A civilian-manned fleet owned by the United Kingdom's Ministry of Defence
Pelican

Re: Envoy Class Tugs

Unread post by Pelican »

V.S. By coincidence the following + images has just been posted on a naval site.
The second image is not a million miles from yours.

With the current troubles with Tankers, I thought the following may be of interest, among the effects of my late brother Tom were three photographs of an incident that took place in the Straits of Hormuz late in October 1958, he was serving on HMS Puma at the time.
SS Melika was in collision with SS Fernand Gilabert off the coast of Oman, the Melika ( shown in the photo) both catching fire with the loss of 21 crewmen.
RN ships involved, HMS Bulwark, HMS Puma, HMS Loch Alvie & HMS Loch Killisport, members from these ships may have memories of the above.
I served on HMS Loch Lomond and in August 1955 and we were called to assist RFA Wave King who had engine failure, while we were towing her to Bahrain we tried gently to turn to port but her bulk carried straight ahead, for a few minutes we were being towed astern, quick thinking by the man with the axe cut the tow. eventually we got her to port
Some time later I got my share of the salvage money- £2 to be exact
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Royal Fleet Auxiliary”