Lord Lewin's Library

Forum Information and Background (Links to books)
DonBoyer

Lord Lewin's Library

Unread post by DonBoyer »

Thanks to Tim Lewin, I became familiar with his father from his posts on the old WNSF re both his father and HMS Belfast. What an admirable gentleman and sailor, truly one of the last of the great Royal Navy officer corps. And I will remain connected to Lord Lewin forever more, due to Tim graciously agreeing to part with some of his father's books, now in my library. My five-volume set of "From Dreadnought to Scapa Flow" and my "Old Friends New Enemies" by Arthur Marder (which contains a personal letter from Mr. Marder to Lord Lewin written just before Marder's passing) are treasured volumes in my library and will be passed down in the family. Seems I will always be connected to this great man. HMS Belfast was the only RN ship I've ever seen up close, when she was in Pearl Harbor in the early 60's, returning from the Far East to pay off, and Arthur Marder was at one time Professor Emeritus of History at the University of Hawaii.

Many, many thanks to Tim for re-instituting what will become a great forum over the years.

Best Regards, Tim, and Hello to all our old friends from ""long ago" on the WNSF.
Don G. Boyer

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled."(Richard Feynman)
designeraccd

Re: Lord Lewin's Library

Unread post by designeraccd »

Totally agree:
"Many, many thanks to Tim for re-instituting what will become a great forum over the years."

I'm very happy to see the new Forum, and look forward to many interesting threads!! It was a very pleasant surprise to hear about it-quickly- from Don :o DFO
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

great to be in contact again Don, the closure of the old forum has been the stimulus for me to create this web site which I meant to do many years ago so a sliver lining to an otherwise large cloud. I am on hols just now but come the end of the month I will post with both hands!

Talking of letters in books, I have a copy of "The Leanders" from the Ship Society which is a highly illustrated book on the development and history of all of the Leander frigates. In it I found three letters from Ken Purvis, the chief designer of the type 12s and thence the Leanders, the letters thank my father for his role in ensuring the Leanders were selected as the RNs main frigate instead of the Type 81, the dual power Tribals, something I was hitherto unaware of. I will post them later
tim
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Many thanks for all your hard work on this Forum Tim , I'm sure your dear father would be very proud of his Son and all the hard work he does both in front and behind the scenes in so many areas , and by the way :-

HAPPY BIRTHDAY .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Posts Dedicated to T.T. Lewin”