Containerised and/or modular weapon (and other) systems

Post here about equipment carried on ships
Little h

Re: Containerised and/or modular weapon (and other) systems

Unread post by Little h »

ivorthediver wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:40 pm So as I understand it Harry, this bit of kit could be a prime candidate for the new line of frigate hulls which have container space should the mission dictate its need :?:
From the PDF:- "TRAPS can be used on small combatants such as OPV's, corvettes, ships of opportunity, and USV's" ... so I guess any frigate with a mission bay located aft with an aperature that provides an opportunity to stream the gubbins through the transom would fill the bil.
Little h
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Ok many thanks for that .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Little h

jbryce1437 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:50 pm Another container based piece of equipment. We will need to get a fleet of container ships to store all of the containers that will enable us to undertake all of the roles that they can deliver ;-)
Jim
Well Jim here is an example of a ship that is not a container ship but certainly is a ship with containers; SS Pacific Tracker.

Pacific Tracker 0aaaarr3 Tugster files.jpg
Pacific Tracker 781140643244110769 Foxtrot Alpha.jpg
Pacific Tracker 781140642963136433 woodenboat forum.jpg
PacTracker11.jpg

Sources from which images in the attachments are copied.
Tugster: a waterblog
Nearby were DoD vessels Pacific Collector (in its third life after launch in 1970) and Pacific Tracker (in its third life after launch in 1965).

Foxtrot Alpha
These Are The Wild Radar Ships That Make Missile Defense Possible
Tyler Rogoway
6/24/14 4:50pmFiled to: ballistic missile defense

TOTE Services
Pacific Tracker

TOTE Services managed the technical conversion of MV Pacific Collector and S/S Pacific Tracker, two government owned Tracking and Telemetry ships, in service for the Missile Defense Agency. These ships are maintained in ROS-5 status and have been activated by TOTE Services in response to both scheduled missions and no-notice mission activations.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Thanks Harry, it looks like a golf course ;-)

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Little h

Containerised and/or modular weapon (and other) systems

StanFlex Containerised weapon system

The Flyvefisken ships were constructed using an innovative modular design known as StanFlex: they have a standard hull in which containerised weapons or systems can be placed. This allows them to rapidly change roles, typically in 48 hours. This enables the ships to be configured to perform the following roles:

Surveillance/pollution control
Combat
Mine countermeasures/minehunter (MCM)
Minelayer

The containers measure 3.5 by 3 by 2.5 metres (11.5 ft × 9.8 ft × 8.2 ft). One container is situated on the foredeck; the other three go on the quarterdeck behind the superstructure and funnel. Furthermore the ships are built using the sandwich principle – a layer of fiberglass either side of a core of PVC cell foam. This forms the structure from keel to top of mast. This building method reduces maintenance costs – so much so that 20 years later the new Diana and -Holm class have been built using the same materials.

Replaced three different vessels

The Flyvefisken class replaced three different vessels in the Danish Navy: Six torpedo boats of the Søløven class (1965–90), six coastal minesweepers of the Sund class (1955–99) and eight seaward defence craft of the Daphne class (1961–91). It was possible because of the containerised systems and modern technology.

The replaced vessels used World War II (or World War I) tactics: The Søløven boats were light plywood boats propelled by three turboshafts, which attacked the enemy ships with torpedoes in 54-knot (100 km/h; 62 mph) hit-and-run attacks. The Flyvefisken class is not that fast, but their Harpoon missiles are sufficient for the task.

The Sund-class minesweepers were built of wood, bronze and other non-magnetic materials. They swept mine fields by trawling through the area with paravanes on tow separating magnetic and acoustic generators for the bottom mines, and chain cutters for the horned mines. The Flyvefisken class is a minehunter and locates the mines with side-scan sonar and neutralizes them one by one with a ROV.

The Daphne class attacked submarines by dropping depth charges to a preselected depth, while sailing past the submarine. The Flyvefisken class fights submarines with anti-submarine homing torpedoes.

Source; Viking Life Blog - where the full article and images can be read/viewed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Danish_HDMS_Viben_(P562) wiki.jpg
fly3.jpg
fly4.jpg
US_Navy_070220-N-3642E-009 Secretary of Navy(SECNAV), the Honorable Donald C. Winter briefed on Con Ops of an anti-mine warfare module wiki.jpg
RDN_P555_Storen_1 wiki.jpg

See also Naval Technology article titled:- Flyvefisken Class (SF 300)- from whence several attachments were copied.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Little h on Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Little h
Little h

StanFlex Containerised weapon systems - (continued)

Lest the hyperlink to this PDF titled Standard Flex 300 the true multi-role ship I have included the entire PDF as an attachment below. This is a comprehensive and very readable document explaining this relatively flexible containerised modular system.
StanFlex.pdf
----------------------------------------------------

See also; Seaforces.org coverage of this system titled:- STANFLEX (Standard/Flexible mission modules - Royal Danish Navy / Kongelige Danske Marine) scroll down to Variants
Click one of the following weapon types to open a selection of images.

GUN = 1 x Oto-Melara/OtoBreda 76mm/62 caliber Super Rapid gun

SSM = 2 x Mk-141 quad launchers for RGM-84 Harpoon missiles

SAM = 1 x 6-cell Mk-48 (Mod.3) / Mk-56 Vertical Launching System (VLS) for RIM-7 Sea Sparrow missiles or RIM-162 Evolved Sea Sparrow missiles (ESSM)

ASW = launcher for MU90 Impact torpedoes

My comment; I will approach Hon. Mod. Jim by PM; to discuss/suggest merging all the containerised/modular design naval systems posted to date into a single thread
Little h
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well the Danish Navy seem to have evolved a very adaptable and useful system Harry , which to the novice observer seems to tick all the right boxes .

Having been in service for a good while now they seem to have created a very good craft indeed , which I must admit when first read seemed to me to be a little flimsy for combat use , however they seem confidant enough to deploy them , but whilst I acknowledge the benefits of the design , would be happier with something a tad more solid between me and an incoming munition :( , but that's just my view on it , and other than that the concept seems a good answer .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

With reference to - https://twitter.com/HMSQNLZ/status/1179555803851874304
Is photo 3, copy attached, part of the towed 'Pinging' gear?
I did'nt progress beyond asdic domes. :oops:
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Little h

Pelican wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:34 pm With reference to - https://twitter.com/HMSQNLZ/status/1179555803851874304
Is photo 3, copy attached, part of the towed 'Pinging' gear?
I did'nt progress beyond asdic domes. :oops:
See this article in Save the Royal Navy dated October 3, 2019; titled Royal Navy begins initiative to maintain its anti-submarine edge
HMS-Westminster-towed-Array.jpg

HMS Westminster’s quarterdeck showing the winch, handling system and variable depth low-frequency active body of the 2087 Sonar. In the age of the ultra-quiet submarine, active sonar has become very much more important than it was in the mid-late Cold War period.

(see link for any/all attributions)

For info; I have posted about this towed array previously in the Type 23 thread.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Thanks Harry, they must have heard me coming, thats some winch. It will be quite a task to launch and recover the array in roughers.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Ships/Boats Equipment”