The Caves of Vila Nova de Gaia

Want some off topic chat? Pull up a bar stool and make yourself at home here
ivorthediver

The Caves of Vila Nova de Gaia

Unread post by ivorthediver »

A few years ago whilst on Holiday in the southern Algarve where my wife lived for 23years where she quickly picked up how to read /write and Speak Portuguese , she suggested that as I like Olden architecture I might like to catch a train up to Porto and visit the wine cellars where the casks of Port were transported down the Douro river and stored in caves to mature over the years .

Although a long train journey we did and stayed three days and enjoyed one of the best holidays ever site seeing and partaking of the local produce ;)

On our second recent visit we stayed for eight days and visited several of the Wine stores along the waterfront , which were both fascinating and dare I say it very intoxicating .

This is now big business with free guided tours around the long vast tiled stores which having started inside the caves extend out into the vast cool aired wine stores .

Many of the more well known houses are here like Taylors ,Cockburns ,Barrosa, Callem, Porto Ferreira ,Quinta dos Corvos ,and perhaps the most well known Sandeman port , but there are dozens of smaller houses , both here and dotted further up the Douro river which we went along later in the holiday

As I am sure you know there are differing types , colours and flavours to try , but I did my best in the time I had to try some .

What I did not appreciate were the "wines" which are also available and are just as potent and strong which are around 13.5% vol [2016] and full bodied reds , one of which was FEITOSA Douro Doc , another was MILAGRE Douro....colheita '13 which was 15% vol which were left by the apartment owners who took a shine to us and left us as a welcoming gift

I am no wine expert I assure you but both of these would lay back the most ardent of red wine lovers .....and if you can get hold of any BUY IT ! .

Here are a couple of shots from inside the Sandeman' store to give you a feel for what its like and after the tour are the endless free wine tastings to wet your whistle .

It is rumoured that a young wife of the Sandeman's ghost walks these halls in a black cape .. but I don't believe in them :roll:

You will see that some of the vintage wines are securely stored whilst others maturing in vast oak casks of thousands of litres .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
ivorthediver

Re: The Caves of Vila Nova de Gaia

And just a couple more to conclude this view :-

Finishing in a couple of drunks found loitering beside a barrel willing it to leak :oops:

Hope you enjoy this brief glimpse , but if you enjoy a glass of not .....its worth a visit and soak up the atmosphere .........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Great photos Ivor and I hoped you paced yourself with the Port.
I visited Oporto on HMS Undaunted around 1968 and went ashore one afternoon (after tot time) in uniform with a couple of mates. The intention was to walk along the quayside to the town centre for a few drinks. We walked but a few yards and there was some guys standing outside a warehouse and they invited us in to sample some of the port. I guess we got the angel's share. Consequently, we naver made it into town and spent the rest of the afternoon being educated about the contents of various casks. Never really liked Port as a drink and would prefer something a little sweeter, such as rum ;-)

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

As do I Jim , but the old adage comes to mind "ANY PORT in a storm" :lol:
jbryce1437

ivorthediver wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:22 pm As do I Jim , but the old adage comes to mind "ANY PORT in a storm" :lol:
Too true Ivor. The sacrifices that we make for the good of others ;-)

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

When I read your response both Karen and I were chuckling aloud as we could see where it was heading [ having walked in the same shoes] so to speak .

I often marvel at the lengths they go to on these tours ....not to mention the costs involved to the company concerned ,but when you look at the costs they attract in these endeavours .....yes they may well sell a few bottles to their captive audience , but no pressure is put on you and by the time you each down three large glasses initially , and further tots of those you might wish to sample as a comparison of various vintages , and the polished nature of the groups of parties they take around in an unending variety of languages cant be cheap !

Speaking from personal experience you could [ if you had the constitution ] easily wander around several competing complexes at a minimal cost and get well oiled into the bargain , not that we would know of course Jim eh ;)

However the warmth of the guides and the coolness of the cellars seem to evoke a willingness to buy at least a couple of modestly priced vintages , then all you have to worry about is how to get them home safely :roll:
ivorthediver

I'm having pangs of guilt/ conscience here, so thought it only right to confess about my side line that paid for our holiday there ;)
The only problem was the heat , but at least its a sitting job so not to much like hard work :roll: until it got dark , but needs must .
jbryce1437

Nice one Ivor. Is that you giving him a short back and sides? ;)

Jim
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Ah and there was me thinking you would say "Looks like a load of old Cobblers " Jim :lol: .

In actual fact thats his wife painting him in wet clay to maintain his appearance and once you put money in his tin in front he strikes the boot in front of him .......in that heat ......he earns every penny [ sorry euro ] he gets , and when he does move it frightens the crap out of you as you cant believe its real :o
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Wardroom”