Clinter type

Post your information and comments about ship and boat construction methods in this section.
ivorthediver

Clinter type

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Whilst on holiday recently on the banks of the Douro river at Vila Nova de Gaia we came across a typical traditional timber boat yard who’s only adaptation to the 20th century was a powersaw and hand tools

So for the purists amongst you the term referred to the Rabelo boats used for centuries to transfer the Port barrels from the vineyards up the Douro river down to Vila Nova de Gaia is named Clinter built and is a perfect symbiosis of the Nordic ,Mediterranean, and Oriental technique, which adapted very well to this river and the desired application

The Rabelo boat was manned by 7 men and used a long paddle oar to steer the vessel from a raised stern platform , and a single large square sail on a single mast

Nowadays the introduction of engines and nav aids have changed these to pleasure craft and their size has increased considerably.

These have been overtaken to some extent by the Big Boys who heir passage up the Douro up the width of Portugal across to Spain , the river being blessed with about 15 dams/locks the largest being at Carrapatelo which has a lift of 115ft , but Portugal only has five of these and the water level at Pocinho can reach 410ft above sea level at Porto where we stayed .

I will show more detailed photo’s on the next post
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
ivorthediver

Re: Clinter type

Here is a general shot of the local , to paint the picture of the area mentioned .

One thing that really surprised me [ not being a fisherman] were the copious amount of thick lipped Mullet fish which lined both the banks and the slipways and appeared to be as thick as my arm and some were easily three feet long , but on asking the locals who explained that they are not good tasting and the only fish with a gizzard who only eat detritus and bottom feeders[ literally :shock: ] quickly changed my culinary viewpoint , however the local oysters served with fresh lemon were really cheap by uk standards and consumed every breakfast with a glass of chilled Dry white wine ;) you listening El Tell :)

The photo's don't show it very clearly but during high and low tide the rip tide effect across the area immediately outside our apartment view ran parallel with the bankside mid way and the river taxi used to let go of the bow line and once the bow pointed the the opposite bank slip the stern line and then point upstream to fight the current in an arc to reach the other side ......quite an unnerving site for an inexperienced crew to attempt [ probably why they fitted large diesel motors in them ] and the forth picture gives a fair illustration so imagine what it was like as the tides came in and out .
The bridge in the background is the first bridge over the river from the marina which is then open to the Atlantic Ocean and the tide would rise and fall a good four plus metres if not more and the wash at the bottom is NOT a boats wake its the rip I mentioned earlier ,
And you will note the cardinal marker a short way above it .[all getting very nautical here isn't it which means someone will be primed to blast the water from beneath me :o ]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Ok...... here we go then .......and I hope they are of interest to you all who have chosen to look in .

The initial shots give a close up of the style and the means of support and access to the craft [ clearly H+S have yet to appear on site ]
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

I am following you closely Deeps ........... However do you not mean "Clinker" Type . That denotes the construction method for the vessels in question . ??
ivorthediver

The next give a feel for the size and layout of the vessels, As I said earlier I would dearly love to have been allowed to get close up 's of more but all I managed were glaring scowls

There seemed to have been various vessels in parallel stages of repair for some reason , who knows perhaps the vessel owners were out of funds to complete as one very close to completion was covered in very heavily weathered polythene , which begs the question of why it was still awaiting its launch ?
ivorthediver

DaveH wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:58 pm I am following you closely Deeps ........... However do you not mean "Clinker" Type . That denotes the construction method for the vessels in question . ??
Hi fellow drinking partner.. In answer to your question .......no ......in fact.... as I understand it ...."Clinker" built boats have overlapping planks which are less likely to take the load pressure and on this design are flush jointed and offer a flush outer frame which offers less friction in the water and reputed to have been faster and better able to take the heavy loads of the Barrels placed in it for transport down the Douro River [ or so the Sandyman ....who was in fact a Lady told me , buts lets not get into gender issues with all this Fortified wine around eh @....20% alcohol 8-) ;) hic ....

However in fairness these picture show both types Dave , but the Douro type are the only " Clinter " type where the other are as you say "Clinker" design and not the true Douro Port delivery style boats
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

Re; Clinker -v- Clinter -v- smooth outer hull etc

Your images indicate that although not pure overlapping build, all(?) the ribs/frames happen to be stepped (indicated by the red circles), thus making the outer hull form stepped, not smooth or butt jointed (carvel style). Witness the form indicated by the red arrow. However there appears to be an element of overlapping (clinker style) otherwise why all the 'nails'/'nail holes' at the bottom of those planks already attached. So methinks it's clinker according to the diagram copied from Wiki.

fullsizeoutput_1a48 (3).jpeg
Clinker-carvel.svg.png

Just my observations you understand ;)

Heavily edited by myself when the diagram was attached :oops:
Little h
ivorthediver

You are correct Harry , but the post is about Douro boat construction which certainly ARE smooth hulled boats but as luck would have it ALSO Clinker built boats are intermixed in this rare boatyard which repair both .as you will see . :(

So please re -read the second paragraph of the first post again and perhaps it will become clearer to you .
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Thank you Deeps and Harry ........... seems I hve opened a nice discussion on the subject and I bow to both explanations . Whichever , it is refreshing to see boats built in the traditiional way . Watching various programmes lately there seems to be a bit of a revival , especially where Pilot Gigs are concerned .
ivorthediver

Yes indeed Dave , but you know our man must have his facts in pristine condition and correctness ...bless him , but I also took the trouble to check out his source of information before going to print, suspecting some pedantic references to be made

Having been there I'm sure you will have seen the vessels to which I refer to ,as well as Clinker built variants, but knowing clinker boats as were used in the Navy [i.e. Whalers for one ] I was well aware of their name and design , but until seeing these Douro boats being made had not appreciated the difference until seen first hand .

The phrase "Clinter Built" is shown in a very good guide book I stumbled across and purchased whilst out there which described this style which seems to be unique to the Rabelo boat , and if he cares to check page 22 of said book it defines this specific style as the Rabelo boat as I did in the 1st post of this thread ,..... I haven't invented it....... it is what it is...... as other pictures will I hope illustrate.... as well as Clinker built boats ;)

It goes on to describe the more modern versions which are copies made in fibre glass like most traditional originals are sadly now days .

Original ref from:- PORTO AND NORTHERN PORTUGAL By Pedro Rodrigues published by OBJECTO/ANONIMO
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Ship and Boat Contstruction Methods”