RN Nuclear Submarines: Trafalgar Class 1983

Submarines of the fleet
Brian James

RN Nuclear Submarines: Trafalgar Class 1983

Unread post by Brian James »

Trafalgar Class Nuclear Submarine HMS Talent pictured arriving at Gibraltar,May 8th 2019.
Observers for the first time noticed a device installed in the bow of the boat with characteristic pins. The appearance of the device suggests that it is an analogue wake detection system or SOKS,used on Soviet and Russian Nuclear Submarines.
SOKS, or System Obnarujenia Kilvaternovo Sleda, is a non-acoustic Submarine detection system created by the Soviet Union. Various versions used to detect radionuclides from the nuclear reactor in Submarines, chemical signatures, and changes in the refractive index of water in the wake of Submarines.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jbryce1437

Re: RN Nuclear Submarines: Trafalgar Class 1983

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Many thanks for the Talent photo Brian, the Wake equipment is discussed on this thread.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Savetheroyalnavy.org

As expected, 33 year-old HMS Trenchant to be kept in service for another year beyond her planned out of service date because of delays to delivery of HMS Audacious.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

From - Savetheroyalnavy.org

Media is reporting story about CO of HMS Trenchant being disciplined for allowing crew to hold barbecue & party on the jetty at Devonport.
MoD making no official comment for now, pending investigation.
Beware rushing to judgment and assuming the RN is being heavy handed when the full facts are not in the public domain but see:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/78a4 ... -7rFxZrXZo
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

The media cannot leave anything alone As I see it Trenchant had just berthed after four months under the water ........... and provided no outsiders attended this BBQ on the Jetty other than the Crew I see no problem with our present situation . I think the Skipper was exercising fair judgement before his crew went home and into "Lockdown" . Just my opinion not wanting to escalate something into a Reprimand for the Skipper for using his noddle .
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

DaveH wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:03 am The media cannot leave anything alone As I see it Trenchant had just berthed after four months under the water ........... and provided no outsiders attended this BBQ on the Jetty other than the Crew I see no problem with our present situation . I think the Skipper was exercising fair judgement before his crew went home and into "Lockdown" . Just my opinion not wanting to escalate something into a Reprimand for the Skipper for using his noddle .
Absolutely spot on ye olde Ch.Tel.

The long patrol having been accomplished; all that was needed was a floating pontoon (flat surface for BQ & Disco - boat's for the use of) to be towed by tug from Serco Marine Services to a position adjacent to fwd casing and secured outboard of the boat - consequently no need for the crew to have to stretch their legs on jetty and the media would've been well stuffed. Simples really ;)
Last edited by Little h on Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little h
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Another mole hill and mountain :-(

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:09 pm From - Savetheroyalnavy.org

Media is reporting story about CO of HMS Trenchant being disciplined for allowing crew to hold barbecue & party on the jetty at Devonport.
MoD making no official comment for now, pending investigation.
Beware rushing to judgment and assuming the RN is being heavy handed when the full facts are not in the public domain but see:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/78a4 ... -7rFxZrXZo
'BEER ON THE PIER' as it is now known - there might be a little more to it:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... 8B2WgA9_fw
But of course it is from the Daily Wail - time will tell.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Navy Submarine Appears In Gibraltar Equipped With Enhanced Wake Detection System

The U.K. Royal Navy's Trafalgar class attack submarine HMS Talent has arrived in the British territory of Gibraltar sporting curious new sensors on either side of its sail. We can say with near certainty that these are additions to an existing system designed to detect enemy submarines without the use of sonar that first appeared on the boat in 2019.

Photographer David Parody grabbed the pictures of Talent in this new configuration as it sailed into Gibraltar today and was kind enough to share them with The War Zone. In addition to the sensor suite, the submarine also has a pair of 7.62mm FN MAG machine guns, known as L7 General Purpose Machine Guns (GPMG) in British military service, mounted on pintles on top of the sail. The fitting of machine guns in this manner, together with arming individual sailors with small arms and non-lethal weapons, are common force protection measures employed by the crews of Royal Navy submarines, as well as those belonging to other navies, especially when entering or exiting ports.

Continues with photos at:
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3 ... EkfFDEgca4
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout

HMS Trenchant off Plymouth breakwater flying her paying off pennant, prepares to enter Devonport for the final time this afternoon.
BZ to a fine boat that has served the nation for 32 years.
The tales she could tell.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “RN Submarines”