Victory Day Celebrations HMS Belfast

Post here about the Imperial War Museum and its exhibits
ivorthediver

Re: Victory Day Celebrations HMS BELFAST

Unread post by ivorthediver »

A worthy home to a dedicated group Tim , and very motivated people from what I have seen Tim ......
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

https://vimeo.com/363522701/8dd775af2b

here is the 13-14 minute film made for us by our Russian camera team of the Victory Day events; without our sponsors, none of this would happen so huge thanks to those who care enough to divvy up support our efforts.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Many thanks Tim, a lovely piece of film and, although I can't speak Russian, I could tell that they were all enjoying their time at the Victory Day celebrations.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

A Very memorable event Tim , and thanks for showing it to us all .

Like the majority of viewers , I had no idea what they were saying but was electrified by their collective passion over the event , and so nice to see some of the guests that we managed to meet and enjoy the memorable event with .
Thats the second time I have met the Duke of Kent , and although a tad older still a charming member of our royal family with an interested disposition which is hard to fake , and could remember our first meeting when a Harrier performed a bowing sequence along the flight line at Duxford about thirty years ago .

I did mange to catch site of the "Rum Pirates" again from HMS Coventry , bless their cotton socks .

A very memorable event that we felt privileged to attend , so again our collective thanks to you for a very welcome break from our problems and situation which we will never forget .
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

H.M.S BELFAST TODAY - Please go to - http://lewin-of-greenwich-naval-history ... 006#p15006 - for photos from Tim.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
timlewin

when all the celebrations are done, there is still one flag left flying to tell the story....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timlewin

If anyone is interested to see how the Russians celebrate Victory Day here is the coverage from their Ch.1, equivalent to BBC1, which also includes interviews with our own veterans.

https://youtu.be/sRjjeB1asQs
timlewin

Here is an address from HRH Princess Anne which was broadcast to Russian veterans by the British Embassy, and a few pics to go with it from earlier times.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Well if my experience is any measure of the celebrations we were privileged to attend last year there is no lack of reciprocal warmth Tim , far from it , even though I was at a disadvantage with their mother tongue bless them , and their affection towards you .
timlewin

Re: Victory Day Celebrations HMS Belfast

the visit to Archangelsk for the 75th anniversary of the arrival of Dervish was a great success, our own Vegaskip as there and with all the talk of "the Few" just now as the survivors are down to the last man I should also report that Tim Elkington was also there with his daughter. He was shot down in the BoB, sent with his Hurricane to Murmansk in August 1941 and flew straight into action from the dirt airfield at Vaenga. Later he volunteered as a Camship pilot, told he he failed to read the small print! that visit to Murmansk was his defining moment in life, the Russian friends he made then were the best of his life. He died last February and when his family held a memorial service in May our Russian veterans stayed back to attend in uniform and medals with their banner much to everyone's delight.

The bonds and aura of friendship that these gatherings of veterans, especially the ones we organise onboard HMS Belfast are a unique example for amateur diplomatic success. The attention they create in the "professional" diplomatic circles is exceptional, I wonder how we might extend this when our last hero shuffles off to Valhalla?

Try this little video made by the wonderful girls at the Russian Friendship society in Cambridge, its of the VE Day message of our favourite Canadian veteran Captain Rolfe Monteith.

https://youtu.be/j4ylDv2H7lc
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Imperial War Museum - HMS Belfast: RAF Duxford”