Richelieu Class Fast Battleships: Richelieu

Add your posts about the French Navy in this section
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Lead Ship,Battleship FS Richelieu pictured ammuntioning post her refit at Brooklyn Navy Yard,New York,1943.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

A excellent photo of her I'd not seen before this morning! Sure could have used it in 1969 when I rebuilt my 1960 scratch built model of her. A very handsome BB with those 8-15" forward...... :) DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
designeraccd

Here is a nice backlit WW2 shot of RICHILIEU! ;) Also, a low bow view of her with same camo band..... DFO
Brian James

Lead Ship,Battleship FS Richelieu was condemned and towed to the breakers in 1968,but one of her 15" guns was conserved and in 1974 it was placed on display under the Recouvrance bridge at Brest. We can see the run-out cylinder and the heavy counterweight over the breech mechanism to compensate for the weight of the barrel. The toothed elevating gear can be seen under the breech.
Brian James

Lead Ship,Fast Battleship FS Richelieu pictured arriving at Brest for the final time,to enter reserve and eventually becoming a Stationary School Ship for reserve officers. February 21st, 1956.
designeraccd

A superb bow on view of her I first saw yesterday! Some other views, too.......... :) DFO
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

She was an imposing sight as I walked past her in 1964, when on Ark Royal, and we paid a visit to Brest. Also remember watching the state funeral of Sir Winston Churchill on television during the visit, thanks to the French TV engineers who set it all up. I think it was complicated by the fact that our TV's were 405 lines and the French 625 lines at that time.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
designeraccd

RICHILIEU at Dakar, 1940. Note missing/cut off 15"........... :( Also, earlier while firing at RN ships from Dakar. IIRC, that is when the B turret gun tube was lost in a misfire. DFO
designeraccd

Two views of RICHELIEU at Dakar in 1940. Note she did have the catapult mounted on her stern! ;) DFO
designeraccd

Here, sadly, is the ever diminishing RICHILIEU as she was cut up for scrap........... :( DFO
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “French Navy”