High Seas Fleet

Add your posts about the German Navy in this section
Brian James

Re: High Seas Fleet

Unread post by Brian James »

Helgoland Class Dreadnought Battleship SMS Oldenburg pictured at Lærdalsøyri, Norway on July 25th 1914... Her keel was laid in October 1908 at the Schichau-Werke Dockyard at Danzig. She was launched on September 30th 1909 and was commissioned into the fleet on May 1st 1912. She was equipped with twelve 12 inch guns in six twin turrets, and had a top speed of 21.2 knots; 24. Oldenburg was assigned to I Battle Squadron of the High Seas Fleet for the majority of her career, including World War I...Along with her three sister ships, Helgoland, Ostfriesland, and Thüringen, Oldenburg participated in all of the major fleet operations of World War I in the North Sea against the British Grand Fleet, including the Battle of Jutland on May 31st and June 1st 1916, the largest naval battle of the war. She also saw action in the Baltic Sea against the Imperial Russian Navy. She was present during the unsuccessful first incursion into the Gulf of Riga in August 1915, though she saw no combat during the operation..After the German collapse in November 1918, most of the High Seas Fleet was interned and then scuttled in Scapa Flow during the peace negotiations. The four Helgoland Class ships were allowed to remain in Germany but eventually ceded to the victorious Allied powers as war reparations; Oldenburg was given to Japan, which sold the vessel to a British ship-breaking firm in 1920. She was broken up for scrap in Dordrecht in 1921.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “German Navy”