Ice Patrol Ships: HMS Protector A173

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: Ice Patrol Ships: HMS Protector A173

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS PROTECTOR ‘BREAKS THE ICE’ WITH SIR DAVID ATTENBOROUGH IN SHIPS’ FIRST ENCOUNTER
18 February 2021

Two of the UK’s Antarctic research ships ‘broke the ice’ when HMS Protector and Sir David Attenborough met up at sea for the first time.

The icebreakers – operated by the Royal Navy and the British Antarctic Survey – sailed in company in the English Channel off Start Point in Devon as both gear up for missions around the frozen continent.

Continues at::

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... tenborough
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
limeybiker

Unread post by limeybiker »

I always lusted for a draft chit to the Antarctic Survey, Protector, closest I came was destoring her. and the Vidal
  • Up Spirits
    It’s Tot Time
    somewhere in the World
Yours Aye
Barry and Sharon Lockyer
Sunny Ocala, FL 34476 USA
http://www.barrylockyer.com/[/b]
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Hi Barry nice to hear from you again .

Given the climate you live in I am surprised you would lust after the coldest regions , unless of course you take your antifreeze with you [ I believe they have a bar on board .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Icebreaker HMS Protector sailed closer to the North Pole than any other Royal Navy ship in history on her first patrol of the Arctic.

The survey and research ship crunched her way through polar ice to within 1,050 kilometres of the top of the world as she gathered data about the ocean and environment

Only submarines – such as HMS Trenchant which punched through the ice at the Pole in 2018 – can travel further north than the position the Plymouth-based survey ship reached: 80°41.5 North in the Greenland Sea.
Continues, including photos, at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... ctor-north
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
emason

Unread post by emason »

Pelican wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:00 pm Icebreaker HMS Protector sailed closer to the North Pole than any other Royal Navy ship in history on her first patrol of the Arctic.

The survey and research ship crunched her way through polar ice to within 1,050 kilometres of the top of the world as she gathered data about the ocean and environment

Only submarines – such as HMS Trenchant which punched through the ice at the Pole in 2018 – can travel further north than the position the Plymouth-based survey ship reached: 80°41.5 North in the Greenland Sea.
This not correct.
146 years ago, on 1 September 1875, HMS Alert under Captain Nares reached latitude 82°30' north, 817 kilometres (508 miles) from the North Pole
Best wishes
Bill
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Hallo Bill........ ;) nice to hear from you again
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

emason wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:15 pm
Pelican wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:00 pm Icebreaker HMS Protector sailed closer to the North Pole than any other Royal Navy ship in history on her first patrol of the Arctic.

This not correct.
146 years ago, on 1 September 1875, HMS Alert under Captain Nares reached latitude 82°30' north, 817 kilometres (508 miles) from the North Pole
I will pass that back E.M. to R.N.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

From High North to Far South - HMS Protector heads for new adventures in Antarctica

Ice patrol ship HMS Protector left Plymouth today to return to Antarctica for the first time since 2019.
After honing cold weather/ice crunching drills and manoeuvres in the Arctic, the ship's first tasking... will be in the warm waters around two of the UK's Atlantic territories.
Some of the waters surrounding remote Ascension Island and St Helena have not been surveyed in two centuries, so Protector is using her hi-tech suite of sensors and expert surveying team to update Admiralty Charts.

See - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... or-deploys

Photos at - https://www.facebook.com/royalnavy/phot ... 746068205/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Navy

Survey ship HMS Protector reveals stunning underwater volcanoes which hint at the origins of one of Britain’s smallest overseas territories.
Protector, which is more accustomed to working around Antarctica than in the tropics, has opened her 2021-22 deployment to the Southern Hemisphere helping islanders in Ascension and St Helena.

See - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... cal-island
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”