Ship's Figureheads

Crests and badges of the Fleet and Fleet Air Arm
Pelican

Ship's Figureheads

Unread post by Pelican »

Plymouth figureheads of navy fleet saved from decay

Fourteen figureheads rescued from the Royal Navy's ships before they were scrapped are to get a new lease of life in a £40m museum and gallery.
The wooden sculptures on the prow of the ships had been falling apart until they were rescued for The Box in Plymouth.
Artists and restorers have scraped away layers of paint, dug out rot and make-shift repairs and repainted them.
They will hang in the entrance of The Box which is due to open next year.

Full article including images at - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-48069449

P.S. HMS GANGES' Indian Prince is safely in our Museum at Shotley after a costly restoration.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Re: Ship's Figureheads

Unread post by ivorthediver »

What a wonderful scheme which i am all for , and such a shame they had not been salvaged earlier .

I admired the ones in the Greenwich Museum very much and took a fair few photos of them , as they, in a bygone age, were the soul of sailing ships , much valued by their crews as their identity and shrouded in superstition . well done to all concerned with the repairs of these historical artefacts and the preservation for future generations to enjoy and admire the handiwork of the shipwrights .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
jbryce1437

Re: Ship's Figureheads

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Just about every shore base that you entered had a figurehead at the entrance. I wonder where they all are now, following the demise of many of the bases?

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Ships Crests and Badges”