USS Tang (SS-306)

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
DonBoyer

USS Tang (SS-306)

Unread post by DonBoyer »

Since the old WNSF went under, I managed to work through a Fletcher class destroyer in 1/350 scale and my pride and joy of my collection, a 1/76 USS Tang, outfitted as she would have appeared in June of 1944. I have to admit, at my age the larger scales are much more appealing! The Tang was commanded by CDR Richard H. O'Kane, who wrote a book about the Tang and also about the Wahoo where he had served as Executive Officer under Captain Dudley W. Morton. Both books are at the top of the submarine histories list as far as I am concerned as O'Kane was an outstanding writer. As a teenager I corresponded with him a few times, and I have always considered him a friend, a mentor, and an example of the type of sailor I wanted to be when I "grew up" and joined the navy. Later, after his passing, I stayed in touch with his wife Ernestine and worked with others to ensure an Arliegh Burke class destroyer was named for O'Kane. She is home ported here in Pearl Harbor, and I always get a lump in my throat when I see her. Building the case for Tang was more of a job for this old modelmaker than the ship was!
TANG154.JPG

TANG139.jpg

TANG108.jpg
TANG150.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don G. Boyer

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled."(Richard Feynman)
ivorthediver

Re: USS Tang (SS-306)

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Look's good to me Don , well done mate .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”