RFA Tankers: Rover Class

A civilian-manned fleet owned by the United Kingdom's Ministry of Defence
Brian James

RFA Tankers: Rover Class

Unread post by Brian James »

RFA Gold Rover pictured at Plymouth,June 29th 2014.
She was one of five Rover Class Small Fleet Tankers that were designed by the Admiralty, all of which were built at the South Tyneside Swan Hunter Shipyard,
Gold Rover and her sister Black Rover were the last two in service with the RFA on duty around the world. The Class were phased out as part of a worldwide effort to replace single-hulled Tankers with more environmentally safe double-hulled vessels.Gold Rover herself was decommissioned in a sunset ceremony at Portsmouth Naval Base on March 6th 2017.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Re: RFA Tankers: Rover Class

Unread post by Pelican »

Savetheroyalnavy.org

Ex-RFA Black Rover will be towed for scrapping in Turkey - leaving Portsmouth soon

Ex-RFA Gold Rover to follow on August 15. Pair sold for £1.5M after being laid up since leaving service in 2016/17.

Photos: S Wenham
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Towns

Unread post by Towns »

Another Photograph of GOLD ROVER Dry
Docked at Hebburn on TYNE July 2005
DSCF0014.JPG
DSCF0016.JPG
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Towns wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:05 pm Another Photograph of GOLD ROVER Dry
Docked at Hebburn on TYNE July 2005
DSCF0014.JPG
DSCF0016.JPG
Many thanks for posting the photos of Gold Rover. Do you know if this was the dry dock that HMS Cavalier was in during her time on the river?

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Towns

Unread post by Towns »

This wasn't the dry dock which the CAVALIER was in it was the one next door.
This dock has been a commercial facility for a number of years
long before the CAVALIER days as the this photograph shows
img642.jpg
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Towns wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:15 pm This wasn't the dry dock which the CAVALIER was in it was the one next door.
This dock has been a commercial facility for a number of years
long before the CAVALIER days as the this photograph shows
img642.jpg
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I visited Cavalier when she was in the dock. I also visited a couple of years before that when she was berthed at Brighton Marina, where I bought a postcard of her, which I have attached. I also crossed paths with Cavalier whilst I was serving in the Royal Navy.

Jim

cavalier200dpi.jpg
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Rover Class Small Fleet Tanker RFA Gold Rover pictured in 2014.... Designed by the Admiralty, all of which were built at Swan Hunter Shipyard on the Tyne. Gold Rover and her sister Black Rover were the last two in service with the RFA on duty around the world. The Class were phased out as part of a worldwide effort to replace single-hulled Tankers with more environmentally safe double-hulled vessels. Gold Rover herself was decommissioned in a sunset ceremony at Portsmouth Naval Base on March 6th 2017.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Royal Fleet Auxiliary”