Comms Course Members

Post anything relating to Communications on this thread
Pelican

Re: Comms Course Members

Unread post by Pelican »

Little h wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:22 pm
Pelican wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:16 pm

Thank you Harry, apols for delayed response, I had not bookmarked this thread, the request for the information quoted is on the basis of 'if you can remember it' - some cannot remember their official number or the date they joined but as a result of the galleries are able to catch up. May I point out that there is a comment box to point out errors or supply additional information. We readily agree we cannot get it right all the time as we rely on the information supplied and there is little we can do by the way of checking or cross checking even if we had the time. There are no official logs of Ganges and the Shotley Magazines, which ceased well before closure, have numerous errors. Like all Ganges Boys we do our best and will stand corrected when necessary. Now I must upload your photo and details which will take us well over the total of 5k+ BTW at the beginning of captions we try to quote the date of entry of the person who originally posted/sent the image to us so as to try and use a common denominator for subsequent tracing purposes. If we do not know such a person we try to use the date that the image was taken.
P.S. BZ for all the names - a rarity.
No probs mate. The format threw me big style but eventually I cottoned on so thought I explain to non Ganges types .... I did start my explanation with the following:-

The clarification as promised ..... and correction ..... not so much a flaw with the format .... more an appreciation of the image reccording format :oops:

I can offer a few more photo's (named where I remember them) if it would be of further interest.
Harry we would be grateful for any photos you care to post. Thanks in antic.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Harry, thank you for your post - "by Little h » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:28 pm" which contains 3 images.
Will add the 2 new ones and let my oppo make of what he will of your comments and take whatever action appropriate.
Hopefully they will appear tomorrow.
Please fill up the comment box on PB if necessary.
Were the funds available we would have a tailor made site but we have to work with what we have as does the Museum itself - https://www.hmsgangesmuseum.com/- PBase is not the best but it provides reasonable service at a reasonable price and at least it makes the images available to all Ganges Boys who wish to see them. Stay safe.
P.S. Have looked into Master Potter's input for PB and found some dupes which we will remove in due course.
Last edited by Pelican on Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

Pelican wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:08 pm Harry, thank you for your post - "by Little h » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:28 pm" which contains 3 images.
Will add the 2 new ones and let my oppo make of what he will of your comments and take whatever action appropriate.

Were the funds available we would have a tailor made site but we have to work with what we have as does the Museum itself - https://www.hmsgangesmuseum.com/- PBase is not the best but it provides reasonable service at a reasonable price and at least it makes the images available to all Ganges Boys who wish to see them. Stay safe.
David, if you hold fire on the image of Hawke 394 class I will put names to those I can remember and then it will be more comprehensive.

For info Hawke 384 class of sparkers moved to Keppel Div'n 7 mess top of LCW; and IIRC we were retitled Keppel 386 class but I'm not certain of that class number after all this time.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Little h wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:16 pm
Pelican wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:08 pm Harry, thank you for your post - "by Little h » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:28 pm" which contains 3 images.

David, if you hold fire on the image of Hawke 394 class I will put names to those I can remember and then it will be more comprehensive.

For info Hawke 384 class of sparkers moved to Keppel Div'n 7 mess top of LCW; and IIRC we were retitled Keppel 386 class but I'm not certain of that class number after all this time.
Ok Harry, they might already be uploaded but not to worry we can always either delete, amend or add an explanation note below an image which sometimes we have to due limit on length of captions.
Little h

David, here is that image with the names (whom I can remember) added:-
img021 copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Little h wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:44 am David, here is that image with the names (whom I can remember) added:-

img021 copy.jpg
VMT. Just to clarify that "For info Hawke 384 class of sparkers moved to Keppel Div'n 7 mess top of LCW; and IIRC we were retitled Keppel 386 class but I'm not certain of that class number after all this time." Should read For info Hawke 394 class of sparkers etc.?
Little h

Irish Naval Service
@naval_service

Yesterday the Naval Comms1 Course visited the NS #communications re-broadcasting facility in #Cork Harbour where Students witnessed equipment & antenna infrastructure in use. The course is approaching its conclusion & students will be joining the fleet in December once qualified.
EI62PMtW4AAWVh0.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well - a course photo it might be - but no sign of (even out of focus) comms equipment and antenna infrastructure - so why mention that; shame really!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

By: Leslie John Harley

Was emptying out Mums house in Irvine, Scotland this week and came across these:
Enjoy - Les (Charlie) Harley EX LRO (G) 1971 to 1984 - Ex RN (Retired)
1 Lord Louis -1972 Passing Out Parade HMS Mercury Kelly Squadron
2 HMS Raleigh - Class starting 8th Nov 1971 are you in this photo ???
3 LRO (G) Les (Charlie) Harley 17th Sep 1982 aged 26 with my Wee Mum onboard HMS Invincible on her home coming from Falkland Islands - Left Pompey 5th April 1982, returned Pompey 17th September 1982.
As one killick buntin said to Mum down in our messdeck “Mrs Harley would you like to see the Golden Rivet” Of course I would she replied - Until I said “Mum sit on ur erse ur no going to see any golden rivet” Later that day I explained to her what the golden rivet was and without thinking about it she said “by the looks of him, (referring to Killick Buntin). It probably wasnt worth going for a look anyway” I nearly wet my pants laughing - That is just My Mum.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

TED BRIGGS 1970 TCI's COURSE
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

L.R.O.(G) COURSE

From Terry Moir.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Communications”