Comms Course Members

Post anything relating to Communications on this thread
Little h

Re: Comms Course Members

Unread post by Little h »

Pelican wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:50 pm Ganges 1960 - 262 Class Barber
Re these 2 photos: Does anyone know who 'Barber' is or can you add any info or names please?
The legend associated with the 1st photo identifies 'Barber'(Me) as being on the back row 2nd in from left as we look at the pic.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Little h wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:44 pm
Re these 2 photos: Does anyone know who 'Barber' is or can you add any info or names please?
The legend associated with the 1st photo identifies 'Barber'(Me) as being on the back row 2nd in from left as we look at the pic.
Yes Harry but we are trying to fill in a few more of the blanks.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Little h

Pelican wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:58 pm
I get that David; but the post does initially asks does anyone know who 'Barber' is ........

Q1. What is the intention behind the thread?
Q2. Are we attempting to catalogue names for those appearing in photo's for some of your contact(s) elsewhere?
Q3. Have you/they got my sparkers class/buntings class at Ganges [Hawke 49(?) top floor in tin hut furthest from swimming pool] later moved to Keppel 7 Mess top of LCW 58-59?
Q4. How many establishments is this investigation intended to cover?
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Little h wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:20 pm
Pelican wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:58 pm

I get that David; but the post does initially asks does anyone know who 'Barber' is ........

Q2. Are we attempting to catalogue names for those appearing in photo's for some of your contact(s) elsewhere?
Q3. Have you/they got my sparkers class/buntings class at Ganges [Hawke 49(?) top floor in tin hut furthest from swimming pool] later moved to Keppel 7 Mess top of LCW 58-59?
Ok Harry, 1 - RN in general, 2 - No its for all interested, 3 - I will check this out and get back to you, or can you via the links below? We are pretty busy. 4 - This particular question about the 2 photos is about Ganges but is of interest to many others who came across them later in their naval careers.
I and and an oppo collect Ganges related photos for the Ganges Museum.
Please see - https://ehive.com/collections/5987/hms-ganges-museum - which the Museum staff, all volunteers, no longer have the manpower or expertise to add to.
So I and my oppo set up - https://pbase.com/hms_ganges_museum/profile? - after I had collected 4.5k images so that our heritage is not lost and is available to all those, past, present and future, who have an interest in Ganges e.g. Families carrying out research.
Since the latter site, which is backed by the Museum, a charitable org., went live we have received or found photos similar to the two in question so naturally we wish to try and ascertain as many facts as possible.
The latest info on the 2 photos in question is:
We are making slow but difficult progress on those 2 photos, if only CRS Davis would answer the Q - does he know the christian name of Barber?
THE BARBER PHOTOS
"David Davis Top photo I am front row 2nd from left sat next to good Mate til this day, Roger Hawes, Barber was an ex Arethusa boy. Be interesting to know how many are around today. I retired as a CRS in 1985
David Davis Ted Haine stood behind DO. Chris Webb was the Badge Boy
David Davis Chris Webb was the badge boy and a good lad
Colin Schiraldi A couple of faces look familiar, but I am not there, so must be a different class.
I was Sept. 6. 1960. 34 Recruitment.
Maybe I sailed against them ?"
From my partner in crime:
"I put the attached through photoshop and found the class in SMags. Please note the DO’s name in 3 issues of SMag is Wavish not Waverly and the Instructor was RS Rogers."
SMags = Shotley Magazines.
Trust that this basically explains the situ?
Posted without double checking.
Cheers David
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Little h

Pelican wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:41 pm
Little h wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:20 pm

Ok Harry, 1 - RN in general, 2 - No its for all interested, 3 - I will check this out and get back to you, or can you via the links below? We are pretty busy. 4 - This particular question about the 2 photos is about Ganges but is of interest to many others who came across them later in their naval careers.
I and and an oppo collect Ganges related photos for the Ganges Museum.
Please see - https://ehive.com/collections/5987/hms-ganges-museum - which the Museum staff, all volunteers, no longer have the manpower or expertise to add to.
So I and my oppo set up - https://pbase.com/hms_ganges_museum/profile? - after I had collected 4.5k images so that our heritage is not lost and is available to all those, past, present and future, who have an interest in Ganges e.g. Families carrying out research.
Since the latter site, which is backed by the Museum, a charitable org., went live we have received or found photos similar to the two in question so naturally we wish to try and ascertain as many facts as possible.
--------------------------------------------------
SMags = Shotley Magazines.
Trust that this basically explains the situ?
Posted without double checking.
Cheers David
Cheers for that comprehensive reply David.

I can't help with the photo you have queries with - sorry.

Re. my class at Ganges; I opened the second of your two links and have found a few of my class oppo's, some with me present - some with me absent. I have others that I might post on here if you want them?
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Thanks Harry, following now received:
"David Davis to David Rye been told by Roger Hawes that it was Rick Barber."
Would be pleased to arrange posting of any of your Ganges photos on PBase.
If possible please include Date entered Ganges, Recr. No., Division name, Mess No., Class No., Instrs. rate-name, ditto D.O. - not many manage a full house but some can even remember their S.B. No. - not me!
We are going to add a gallery devoted to our beloved [?] mast and the other masts which numbered at least 7 at one time.
Little h

Pelican wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:09 am Thanks Harry, following now received:
If possible please include Date entered Ganges, Recr. No., Division name, Mess No., Class No., Instrs. rate-name, ditto D.O. - not many manage a full house but some can even remember their S.B. No. - not me!
We are going to add a gallery devoted to our beloved [?] mast and the other masts which numbered at least 7 at one time.
David,

Let me tempt you with this image of our sparkers and buntings classes in Keppel 7 mess; I have had in it in my possession since 58/59 and only added the names I could remember, last evening. It is without all the info you requested until i am able recall the DO and Sub DO's names - perhaps one or both will filter through the grey matter er long.

The sparkers were of the 10/11th Feb 1958 recruitment, whilst the buntings were of a later recruitment (poss the next one)
Ganges img022 copy1 via paint.jpg

There is a however - IM0 - a flaw with the format you request .... some of the images in your link give incorrect info whilst others fail to recognise that those whom were photographed in the Annexe were not necessarily the bods who were destined for particular classes in the Main Establishment.

For those who never attended said establishment (Ganges) I will clarify later today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Little h

Little h wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:14 am
David,

Let me tempt you with this image of our sparkers and buntings classes in Keppel 7 mess; I have had in it in my possession since 58/59 and only added the names I could remember, last evening. It is without all the info you requested until i am able recall the DO and Sub DO's names - perhaps one or both will filter through the grey matter er long.

The sparkers were of the 10/11th Feb 1958 recruitment, whilst the buntings were of a later recruitment (poss the next one)

There is a however - IM0 - a flaw with the format you request .... some of the images in your link give incorrect info whilst others fail to recognise that those whom were photographed in the Annexe were not necessarily the bods who were destined for particular classes in the Main Establishment.

For those who never attended said establishment (Ganges) I will clarify later today.
The clarification as promised ..... and correction ..... not so much a flaw with the format .... more an appreciation of the image reccording format :oops:

Screenshot (5350).png

The image above is of the boys in my recruitment to Ganges (10/11th Feb 1958) whom shared the same mess as myself whilst in the Annexe for the first six weeks. The annotated at the bottom of the image includes the following info:- John Potter ....... Anson, 201 Class - the image however is of course not just of John Potter, and is not the Anson Division 201 class.
It is as I have advised above; that of the boys in the same messdeck as myself whilst in the Annexe. - not John Potter, not Anson Div'n and not 201 class as annotated .... it is some of the recruitment of 10/11th Feb 1958 and was most likely taken on a date after we had all 'settled in'.

169249374.alXfy8Fc.jpg

The image above does however show those boys who had been allocated to Anson Div'n 201 class and included said John Potter.

img021.jpg

The image above is from my own collection from my time at Ganges and shows those boys who had been allocated to Hawke Div'n 394 class and includes myself and only two others from those appearing in the 1st image above.

The explanation is not intended to be a harsh criticism of the website holding thousands of Ganges images, but it took me a while to establish the method of recording the images and felt it warranted some clarification.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Little h wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:14 am
Pelican wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:09 am Thanks Harry, following now received:
David,

Thank you Harry, apols for delayed response, I had not bookmarked this thread, the request for the information quoted is on the basis of 'if you can remember it' - some cannot remember their official number or the date they joined but as a result of the galleries are able to catch up. May I point out that there is a comment box to point out errors or supply additional information. We readily agree we cannot get it right all the time as we rely on the information supplied and there is little we can do by the way of checking or cross checking even if we had the time. There are no official logs of Ganges and the Shotley Magazines, which ceased well before closure, have numerous errors. Like all Ganges Boys we do our best and will stand corrected when necessary. Now I must upload your photo and details which will take us well over the total of 5k+ BTW at the beginning of captions we try to quote the date of entry of the person who originally posted/sent the image to us so as to try and use a common denominator for subsequent tracing purposes. If we do not know such a person we try to use the date that the image was taken.
P.S. BZ for all the names - a rarity.
Little h

Pelican wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:16 pm

Thank you Harry, apols for delayed response, I had not bookmarked this thread, the request for the information quoted is on the basis of 'if you can remember it' - some cannot remember their official number or the date they joined but as a result of the galleries are able to catch up. May I point out that there is a comment box to point out errors or supply additional information. We readily agree we cannot get it right all the time as we rely on the information supplied and there is little we can do by the way of checking or cross checking even if we had the time. There are no official logs of Ganges and the Shotley Magazines, which ceased well before closure, have numerous errors. Like all Ganges Boys we do our best and will stand corrected when necessary. Now I must upload your photo and details which will take us well over the total of 5k+ BTW at the beginning of captions we try to quote the date of entry of the person who originally posted/sent the image to us so as to try and use a common denominator for subsequent tracing purposes. If we do not know such a person we try to use the date that the image was taken.
P.S. BZ for all the names - a rarity.
No probs mate. The format threw me big style but eventually I cottoned on so thought I explain to non Ganges types .... I did start my explanation with the following:-

The clarification as promised ..... and correction ..... not so much a flaw with the format .... more an appreciation of the image reccording format :oops:

I can offer a few more photo's (named where I remember them) if it would be of further interest.
Little h
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Communications”