D-Day 75

Navy related media items
Pelican

Re: D-Day 75

Unread post by Pelican »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

LCVPs - THE HIGGINS BOATS

"I am aware of only one man who was praised by both Eisenhower and Hitler. A repost on the 75th anniversary of D-Day.

General Dwight David Eisenhower said that “Andrew Higgins … is the man who won the war for us. … If Higgins had not designed and built those LCVPs, we never could have landed over an open beach. The whole strategy of the war would have been different.”

Adolph Hitler referred to Andrew Higgins as the “new Noah,” though his admiration was more begrudging. On the 75th anniversary of the Normandy landings, better known as D-Day, it seems worthwhile to remember Andrew Higgins and the amazing Higgins boat.

Andrew Jackson Higgins was a high school drop-out from Nebraska, who came to New Orleans, Louisiana to get into the timber business. He soon branched out to building boats which operated in the shallow waters of the swamps, hauling out felled trees. Prior to World War II, the Navy’s landing craft were antiquated and cumbersome. Higgin’s design, based on his shallow water workboats, proved superior, despite objections by the Naval Bureau of Construction and Repair. The Marine Corps was a major supporter of the Higgins’ design because it was simply better than anything that the Navy had to offer.

The first boat, dubbed Landing Craft Personnel (Large) or LCP (L), still required the soldiers on board to disembark by jumping over the bow or the sides. Inspired by a Japanese landing craft design, Higgins added a bow ramp to his design, allowing 36 fully equipped soldiers to charge down the ramp onto the beach as soon as the ramp was dropped. The design, dubbed Landing Craft, Vehicle, Personnel (LCVP), but better known simply as the Higgins boat, would change the course of the war, allowing amphibious landings over open beaches without the need to capture deepwater ports. The D-Day landings in Normandy would not have been possible without the Higgins boat.

Higgins Boat

The Higgins boats were only 36′ long with a 10′ beam. They were built of plywood with a steel ramp door. Despite their small size, the boat could carry 36 men or a jeep and 12 men, or 8,000 pounds of cargo. A larger variant, the LCM, Landing Craft Mechanized could carry a tank.

The Higgins boats led amphibious operations including Operation Overlord on D-Day in Nazi German occupied Normandy, as well as Operation Torch in North Africa, the Allied invasion of Sicily, Operation Shingle and Operation Avalanche in Italy, Operation Dragoon, and in the Pacific Theatre at the Battle of Guadalcanal, the Battle of Tarawa, the Battle of the Philippines, the Battle of Iwo Jima and the Battle of Okinawa.

More than 20,000 Higgins boats were built by Higgins Industries and licensees."

See - https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 7mW_0YwE84
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

A sand sculpture on Normandy beach as ‘Sands of Remembrance’
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

Forces Radio BFBS
@ForcesRadioBFBS

🌹 | Our future heroes honouring our fallen heroes. This is just beautiful.

Short video

@TroopRMC @SeaCadetsUK #DDay75
Screenshot (4509).png
Comments are also worth a read.
Little h
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Forthcoming Films, TV Shows, Exhibitions and Events”