HMS Terror and Singapore Naval Base

Use this section for Naval Shore Bases overseas
jbryce1437

HMS Terror and Singapore Naval Base

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

The building of a new Naval Base at Singapore was announced in 1923 and it was completed in 1931.
The naval base covered an area of 21 square miles (54 km2) and, in the King George VI graving dock at 300 metres in length, had the largest dry dock in the world at that time. It also had the third-largest floating dock, and enough fuel tanks to support the entire British Navy for a period of six months.
After the fall of Malaya to the Japanese in 1942, the base was subsequently captured, relatively intact. At the end of the war and the surrender of Japan, the Naval Base was once came under the control of the Royal Navy.
The accommodation blocks adjacent to the dockyard were named HMS Terror from 1945 and it served until 1971 when British Forces withdrew from Singapore and the base was handed over to the Singapore government.

Some views of Singapore Dockyard
singapore dockyard 1.jpg
singapore dockyard.jpg
singapore dockyard 1963.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
DaveH

Re: HMS Terror and Singapore Naval Base

Unread post by DaveH »

If I remember correctly Jim , and I am open to correction.When the UK Forces left Singapore HMS Terror went over to the Australian Navy and when they finally pulled out the Malaysian Navy who had previously been based at KD Malaya at the other end of the Base adjaent to the Causeway over to Johore Bahru moved into Terror. What had once been the block Ilived in became the Museum. I think transfer to the Singapore Defence Force possibly came a bit later . Please correct me if I am wrong .
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

DaveH wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:53 pm If I remember correctly Jim , and I am open to correction.When the UK Forces left Singapore HMS Terror went over to the Australian Navy and when they finally pulled out the Malaysian Navy who had previously been based at KD Malaya at the other end of the Base adjaent to the Causeway over to Johore Bahru moved into Terror. What had once been the block Ilived in became the Museum. I think transfer to the Singapore Defence Force possibly came a bit later . Please correct me if I am wrong .
You could well be right Dave, but wiki doesn't mention the Malaysian Navy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Naval_Base

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
TerraNova

Unread post by TerraNova »

I just spent a week in Singapore. The RN retains a supply facility under the name Naval Party 1022. I know nothing more about its role but there was mention in the press recently about the return of the RN to the Pacific Ocean area. I believe HMS Albion and a frigate were at Exercise Rimpac 2018 and there is a plan for the presence of a frigate in the Southwest Pacific in 2019. All this seems a tad odd given the troubles in the UK.
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

Naval Party 1022 - aka British Defence Singapore Support Unit

HMS Montrose arrives in Singapore
07/02/2019

HMS Montrose has arrived in Singapore where it’s a balmy 31°C, there’s a tropical shower pretty much every afternoon, and there’s still a permanent RN presence despite the ‘withdrawal from east of Suez’ half a century ago.

Naval Party 1022 (also known as British Defence Singapore Support Unit) maintains a permanent presence at Sembawang (the old RN Naval Base/HMS Terror), making sure fuel and other support is available to visiting British and Commonwealth warships – chiefly those of Malaysia, Australia and New Zealand (who with Britain and Singapore are committed to the Five Powers Defence Agreement to safeguard the Far East against aggression).

Over the past 12 months, the party has been particular busy supporting RN vessels: HMS Sutherland, Albion, Argyll and now Montrose as the UK re-focuses its efforts with the Asia-Pacific taking on renewed importance.

"HMS Montrose is on a three-year deployment"

For Montrose, Singapore is the venue for her mid-deployment break – a chance to give sailors and their ship a break after a 20,000-mile odyssey from Plymouth via the Atlantic, Caribbean, Panama Canal, Chile, Easter and Pitcairn Islands, Auckland, Darwin, and the Java Sea to the Jahore Strait and Sembawang Wharves.

The ten-day break began with offloading all the rubbish (gash) accumulated by the 200 men and women on board (global pollution regulations wisely mean it cannot be cast into the ocean) and loading of stores, before Commanding Officer Conor O'Neill hosted British Deputy High Commissioner Alexandra McKenzie.

The mid-deployment break is allowing some families the chance to link up with loved-ones again, and for other members of the ship’s company to explore Singapore and the Malay Peninsula.

Montrose is on a three-year deployment, the bulk of which will be concentrated in the Gulf. Before she gets there, however, there’s a visit to Japan for combined training with the Japanese Navy to conduct.

Source; royalnavy.mod.uk
Little h
TerraNova

Unread post by TerraNova »

Little h: Thanks. This solves the mystery for me. It was wise for the RN not to wholly withdraw from Far East. The RCN has "returned" as well with HMCS Regina and the support ship M/V Asterix departing Esquimalt this week for an extended deployment to the Western Pacific.
Brian
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

For anyone wanting a sailors account of Singapore & HMS Terror I recommend a book, "A Singapore Fling" by Peter Broadbent. His story covers the years 1962-64, 10 years after my first visit, it brought back many memories.
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Agreed Keith . A good read ....... covered the first two years of our marriage , accompanied , living in Serangoom Garden Village . His and my paths must have crossed many times .
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

Naval Party 1022 - aka British Defence Singapore Support Unit

British Defence Singapore Support Unit on Twitter
@BDSSU_UK
Sep 24

Looking forward to receiving a UK @RoyalNavy visitor @BDSSU_UK very shortly. @HMSEnterprise @ComdJFC_UK @AdmTonyRadakin @UKinSingapore
EFRbGcFUwAAtuz0.jpg large.jpg

also:-

HMS Enterprise on Twitter
@HMSEnterprise
15h15 hours ago

Happy Sunday! Whilst many back home are still asleep, team #Enterprise are working away with @BDSSU_UK and #UKDocks support keeping our ship in shape. For some, this is a unique way of spending the morning after their 21st birthday! #BoldlyGo #AlwaysbeaSailor
EFmSQcmXoAYKg0m.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links provided in the post to both British Defence Singapore Support Unit & HMS Enterprise (H88)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

THE BRITANNIA CLUB

The first 3 photos were taken very recently and the last in 1968.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Overseas Shore Bases - Royal Navy”