Lt Cdr Doug Taylor RN

Please add any Naval Obituaries in this section
Pelican

Lt Cdr Doug Taylor RN

Unread post by Pelican »

LT. CDR. TAYLOR

Lieutenant-Commander Doug Taylor, naval engineer whose ‘ski jump’ take-off for fighter jets helped to win the Falklands War.

Lieutenant-Commander Doug Taylor, who has died aged 89, saw the development of all the postwar innovations in the Royal Navy which made modern naval aviation possible, the steam catapult, the angled deck, the projector sight, high-energy arresting gear – and, the last of them, Taylor’s ski-jump.

In September 1964, on a day of almost unbearable tropical heat, Taylor was flight deck engineer officer of the carrier HMS Victorious which, under international law, was exercising her right of innocent passage through the Lombok Strait into the Java Sea.

Doug Taylor took up flying in his late seventies:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
DaveH

Re: Lt Cdr D Taylor RN

Unread post by DaveH »

We have a lot to thank him for David . May he find a safe anchorage in calm blue seas. Amen
jbryce1437

Re: Lt Cdr D Taylor RN

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

DaveH wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:27 am We have a lot to thank him for David . May he find a safe anchorage in calm blue seas. Amen
I fully agree, RIP Sir.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Naval Obituaries”