National Museum of the Royal Navy

Post here about Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and its Exhibits
Pelican

Re: National Museum of the Royal Navy

Unread post by Pelican »

£1m drive to help bring the ‘King’s warship’ home to Portsmouth

A home in Portsmouth Naval Base awaits the ‘King’s own warship’ – veteran minesweeper HMS Bronington – if enthusiasts can save her.
A plum site in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard has been offered to the 70-year-old warship - with the tantalising prospect of hundreds of thousands of visitors every year – providing she can be salvaged and restored.

The National Museum of the Royal Navy has offered a permanent home for Bronington, which was commanded through most of 1976 by a then Lieutenant/Lieutenant Commander Wales... but only once the ship is an a suitable state.

Right now, Bronington is in a sorry condition, partially sunk at her mooring in Birkenhead.

Despite outward appearances, however, surveyors say she is not beyond restoration – hence the concerted efforts by the HMS Bronington Trust to save the ship as a museum, a role she performed for many years after retiring from RN service in the 1980s.

Continues at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... portsmouth - Including:
“She would look good next to HMS Warrior, and would complement the HMS Vernon-Mine Warfare Memorial up the road at Gunwharf Quays.”
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ALL serving Royal Navy personnel can tap into the Senior Service’s centuries of proud history for free.

The RN has joined forces with its premier museum, the National Museum of the Royal Navy, to give preferential treatment to those serving their nation – saving up to £44 on individual entry prices.

And substantial discounts are available for a considerably cheaper family experience.

Although synonymous with HMS Victory and the Royal Naval Museum in Portsmouth’s Historic Dockyard, the National Museum is responsible for at least ten naval museums/attractions across the UK.

See - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... fClEdNbzOo
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

TrafalgarWeek2023 - Victory Today
Rodrigo Pacheco Ruiz, Archaeological Data Manager for HMS Victory has been working on documenting the recently acquired 19th Century model of Victory using laser scanning and photogrammetry.
Built over 250 years ago, Victory was only expected to operate for only nine years without major repair. When Victory was 35 years old, worn out by long service, rot and battle action, the ship commenced a major refit and was extensively remodelled. She then embarked on what was to be her defining journey to lead the British fleet to victory at the Battle of Trafalgar 1805. The model shows how Victory’s hull changed in the 40 years between her construction and the Battle of Trafalgar. It also shows some changes that were considered, but never made. Used together with artworks and archaeological research, the model helps us build a picture of what Victory looked like during this period.
This video showcases 3D scans of the HMS Victory model, then HMS Victory herself, before comparing the two. By comparing the model with present-day Victory using photogrammetry – which turns photographs into 3D images – and laser scanning, archaeologists at the National Museum can highlight the similarities and differences between them.
The red colours mean noticeable differences between the two such as the masts and dry dock. Green means small differences and blue means no changes. Incredibly the model and Victory are a close match for the most part.
The model is currently on display in HMS Victory: The Nation’s Flagship gallery, which charts the extraordinary story, from acorn to icon, of the remarkable survivor considered by many to be the world’s most famous ship and the oldest naval ship still in commission.
The 1:48 scale mode, which measures 142cm long, was recently acquired with generous funding support from the National Heritage Memorial Fund, the Society of Nautical Research, and the HMS Victory Endowment Fund.

See video at - https://www.facebook.com/NatMuseumRN/vi ... 5159014212
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

This Christmas pudding is believed to be the last surviving from a batch of 1,000 sent to naval personnel serving on the front during the Boer War at Christmas in 1900.
The puddings were commissioned by Dame Agnes Weston, known as Aggie, a philanthropist known for her kindness to sailors. The charity she set up in 1876 still helps sailors and their families today.
These Christmas puddings were made by Peek Frean & Co. and made into individual portions so that each man could have one. As you can imagine, the pudding is very fragile after all these years. The metal of the tin has been treated and if you look carefully you can see the pudding peeping out. It’s kept in a closed display cabinet and we check it regularly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

A roundup of the National Museum of the Royal Navy's acquisitions for 2023

https://www.nmrn.org.uk/news/roundup-na ... tions-2023 - LFT
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

£250k lottery handout gives historic Navy figureheads new lease of life

Historic ship figureheads at iconic naval sites in Portsmouth are to be restored – and others put on display for museum visitors – thanks to £250k of lottery cash.
The figureheads were once the symbols of HMS Seaflower, Martin, Queen Charlotte, Madagascar and Asia – each unique carving on the ship’s prow acting as both an identifier in an age when many sailors could not read, and also a source of pride and identity akin to present-day crests and badges.

The figureheads of HMS Seaflower and Martin have adorned HMS Nelson’s wardroom since the impressive building in Portsmouth’s Queen Street opened 120 years ago, while that of HMS Queen Charlotte greets anyone working on or visiting HMS Excellent on Whale Island.

And those from HMS Madagascar and Asia are held by the National Museum of the Royal Navy, which has been awarded the cash by National Lottery Heritage Fund, plus £15,000 from The Pilgrim Trust, to restore the three figureheads exposed to the elements – and tell the story behind all five.

See - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... se-of-life
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Nice to see the blue plaque commemorating Lord Lewin's birth place mentioned there David , sad its taken so long to be recognised , but I bet Tim was proud of the event .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:03 pm £250k lottery handout gives historic Navy figureheads new lease of life

Historic ship figureheads at iconic naval sites in Portsmouth are to be restored – and others put on display for museum visitors – thanks to £250k of lottery cash.
The figureheads were once the symbols of HMS Seaflower, Martin, Queen Charlotte, Madagascar and Asia – each unique carving on the ship’s prow acting as both an identifier in an age when many sailors could not read, and also a source of pride and identity akin to present-day crests and badges.

The figureheads of HMS Seaflower and Martin have adorned HMS Nelson’s wardroom since the impressive building in Portsmouth’s Queen Street opened 120 years ago, while that of HMS Queen Charlotte greets anyone working on or visiting HMS Excellent on Whale Island.

And those from HMS Madagascar and Asia are held by the National Museum of the Royal Navy, which has been awarded the cash by National Lottery Heritage Fund, plus £15,000 from The Pilgrim Trust, to restore the three figureheads exposed to the elements – and tell the story behind all five.

See - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... se-of-life
Also see - https://www.nmrn.org.uk/news/conserved- ... Yl91PvYsd0
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The National Museum of the Royal Navy
This early chronometer was originally on-board HMS Victory around 1812
Chronometers were precision timepieces used to find a ship’s position by comparing Greenwich Mean Time and celestial navigation
Englishman John Harrison (1693 -1776) invented the first chronometer in 1735
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Oardacious
With just 100 Nautical miles left and a huge 80 nautical miles rowed in the last 24 hours, the team are currently predicted to cross the finish line at around 14:00 UTC tomorrow which is a nicely timed 10am finish in Antigua!
The adventure is almost over!
Photos at - https://twitter.com/hmsoardacious/statu ... 3274402083
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and Off Site Attractions”