Queen Elizabeth Class

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
Pelican

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class

Unread post by Pelican »

I am unable to reveal the source so please do not ask - just enjoy and admire.

AN OUTSTANDING MODEL BUILT FROM SCRATCH WITHOUT PROPER PLANS.

Well after several months my second HMS Queen Elizabeth is near on complete. Made from Balsa wood (again) with a hardwood deck she has been fitted out as RC, though at the moment I can't launch her due to certain bugs floating around.
The only info I have which may help is this book. All other info is off the web.
Scale is 1:200 with a wooden hull that has been fibreglassed with resin and cloth. A very enjoyable model to build and one which I hope will be exhibited and used by any organisation that has a need for it (when we have got rid of these bugs of course). I should have started later so that I had it to do whilst in lock down, however I, like everyone else was unaware what was about to descend upon us. For both the crews of HMS Queen Elizabeth and Prince of Wales, keep safe, look after your families and of course your oppo's. For those of you who love making models, nows the time to really get stuck during lock down.
Just so you get a comparison of the size of my model and my little office/library/workshop where it all took place, and still does."
[In answer to questions] "Top - USS Enterprise. Middle - HMS Hood, Repulse and Lynx (1941) Base - HMS Eskimo, Invincible and Lynx (1968)"
"Also a display of a RAS between Q.E. and Tideforce with Dragon nearby as in Westlant 19"

Comment : "Very very talented , I love how you've made it from scratch with such accuracy. We should've had you on the design team,!!! I spent near 10 years on design for fwd and aft mooring equipment, emergency generator compartment, catwalk equipment layouts and ships HVAC, you've done the lot in that time! (I see you've even got the ship side jalousies for HVAC in your model!! You wouldn't believe the grief the design of those gave us, not what we wanted in the end, but hey, a dates a date.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

CONTINUED
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

CONTINUED AGAIN - DUE LIMIT ON ATTACHMENTS
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Apologies for the rather muddled attachments with the post above but as you will appreciate attachments need to be uploaded in reverse order to that they appear in but having started I was then limited by the number of such attachments allowed by the site for each post. Trust the content is more important than the sequence.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:15 am Apologies for the rather muddled attachments with the post above but as you will appreciate attachments need to be uploaded in reverse order to that they appear in but having started I was then limited by the number of such attachments allowed by the site for each post. Trust the content is more important than the sequence.
P.S. Omitted to mention that I do have Ken's permission to post the photos and details.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well from one scratch builder to another , I congratulate you Ken , its all in the detail which tends to divert the eye where necessary .....eh mate ;)

Excellent and very impressed , so please pass on my thanks to him David , only wish he had done it as an " in progress" build in the modelling section of our Forum so that we could have appreciated the effort and " problems " it presented in the construction and build , and the attention paid in achieving the scale whilst building when all you have is BASICS and scale rules .......BZ and a much appreciated distraction :D
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:47 pm Well from one scratch builder to another , I congratulate you Ken , its all in the detail which tends to divert the eye where necessary .....eh mate ;)

Excellent and very impressed , so please pass on my thanks to him David , only wish he had done it as an " in progress" build in the modelling section of our Forum so that we could have appreciated the effort and " problems " it presented in the construction and build , and the attention paid in achieving the scale whilst building when all you have is BASICS and scale rules .......BZ and a much appreciated distraction :D
Wilco
ivorthediver

Much appreciated David as its worthy of praise IMHO.

When viewing models that are scratch built everyone casts a critical eye over the end result wether they realise it or not and all the " if I'd built that I would have done XYZ , but very few viewers even consider the research that goes into every item , or the period the model is based on [ which we all know changes every time the ship berths be it add ons ...removals , paint jobs ].....and so on..... so at the risk of repetition he is worthy of praise . ;)
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:32 pm Much appreciated David as its worthy of praise IMHO.

When viewing models that are scratch built everyone casts a critical eye over the end result wether they realise it or not and all the " if I'd built that I would have done XYZ , but very few viewers even consider the research that goes into every item , or the period the model is based on [ which we all know changes every time the ship berths be it add ons ...removals , paint jobs ].....and so on..... so at the risk of repetition he is worthy of praise . ;)
This has since been posted in response to Ian's model and details Ivor:

"Clare Minvielle My RC ship HMCS Winnipeg FFH 338 could be part of your Task group"
ivorthediver

Another worthy model thou I am not familiar with this vessel it looks excellent to me David , and always pleased to see "working" rather than glass case models , please pass on my thanks for posting it .... :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”