Wot yer(your) Mam used to say!!

Want some off topic chat? Pull up a bar stool and make yourself at home here
Little h

Wot yer(your) Mam used to say!!

Unread post by Little h »

a) "Can you make a noise quietly"?
- a response to clonking about the house

b) "It's a lair to catch meddlers"
explanation relating to anything or anyone for which/whom a trap has been laid - even a question!

c) "If you want you don't get - if you don't ask you won't get - so wait until you are 'given"
- immediate response to me saying I want (rather than need) some chattel or other - my mother hated the wore 'want' it was akin to bad manners .... one should never 'want' - rather - one should 'like to have' something ... it was all about greed.

d) "if you want it you'll have to go out and earn it ... and don't forget when you've been paid - what you owe me"
- self evident!

e) "you can't expect me to buy you that ... go out and get yourself a little job before you go to school"
- this to a lad who had at any one time between the age of 12 and 15:- a) a early morning milk round in Scotland b) a paper round before (and on some day) after school c) a butchers message boy on Saturday mornings. Not forgetting the 'NE Scotland spud picking weeks' - departure from school curriculam for a couple of weeks each year (for which each of us volunteers were paid).

HMS Ganges ... a dawdle!!!
Little h
ivorthediver

Re: Wot yer(your) Mam used to say!!

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Chuckling away here Harry , we must have been related as I know all those .....earn't the hard way
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

In much the same way wot we say today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Hi Harry ..... seems thee and me had a very similar background ...... milk round wiv me Dad , papers morning and evening , Butcher's/Greengrocers Bike Saturday mornings . Cycled four miles delivering papers on the Morning round but couldn't ride on Sundays cos the bag was too heavy.

Tater pickin' every year together wiv Orchard picking .

As you say Ganges was a piece of u kno wot after that upbringing .
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

A couple of my mothers favourites:
The reply to me wanting something "What wants never gets"
If I found some food that had been secreted away "Your eyes are bigger than your belly"
When asking whats for tea "Shit with sugar on!" was the usual reply.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

yes I recall those and many others to Jim :oops:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Wardroom”