Unmanned Drones - All Types for Military and Naval Use

Post anything relating to Weapons Engineering on this thread
Pelican

Re: Unmanned Drones - All Types for Military and Naval Use

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

ivorthediver wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:19 pm Be interesting to see the customers lists [even with the endless list of are we sold it to blah blah ........
If you have the time to spare visit you tube and watch the tongue in cheek video held at Stanford university by the adviser / engineer from the Boeing funded robotics company and their use of these wave guided drones that purport to study sea currents , and thermoclines in the worlds oceans .
Its very long and quite informative if you see past the "Good Samaritan" cloak they purport to ware ;)

When asked he stated that they only go where the currents take them , but later on he was asked about directional control it was mentioned that they had several cases where they had argued with the Hawaiian coastguard about their presence in their waters and were taking target practice at it until advised that it was a scientific exercise at which point the coastguard stated it was a collision hazard to local craft as it had been seen holding a peripheral course to the island on several occasions ;) .....so.... black is white on Mondays unless their is a "Y" in the spelling it seems ;)

As suspected their claim is that it is a scientific device with towed censors that is sold to many countries who cane adapt their use as necessary .....but if it pissies off their own states WHO actually has control over them or where they are used :evil:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Marines launch drones from amphibious vessel

Royal Marines are trialling drones to help support operations, say the Royal Navy.
Remotely operated systems will be used to provide Royal Marines Commandos on the ground with ammunition, fuel, medical supplies or food and water, as well as intelligence of ‘enemy’ movements and activity.

Continues, containing links within at:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/royal-m ... YyRHm7nvkA
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Marines launch drones from amphibious vessel

Royal Marines are trialling drones to help support operations, say the Royal Navy.
Remotely operated systems will be used to provide Royal Marines Commandos on the ground with ammunition, fuel, medical supplies or food and water, as well as intelligence of ‘enemy’ movements and activity.

Continues, containing links within at:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/royal-m ... YyRHm7nvkA
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Nagorno-Karabakh ~ December 14, 2020
Although the recently brokered Russian peace deal in Nagorno-Karabakh has led to the cessation of hostilities, the extensive use of drones has created some long lasting implications for the accessibility of airpower and future warfighting. *

This opinion piece was submitted to the UK Defence Journal by Edward Davies. Edward is an MA graduate in International relations from the University of Leeds with special interests in Russia, China, AirPower and intelligence.

The most recent hostilities, which were originally sparked back in July, have seen drones taking on key roles as strike, ISR (intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance) and fire control platforms on both sides. As the conflict escalated, graphic videos of drone strikes appeared online showing strikes on tanks, dug in position and soldiers of both sides. The cost of conflict has been high, although estimates of losses have been hard to confirm due to inflated claims from both Armenia and Azerbaijan. More accurate estimates * place Armenian losses upwards of 185 tanks destroyed and Azerbaijan more than 30 with many of these losses inflicted by drones.

* https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2020/09/t ... abakh.html

Continues at:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/airpowe ... HRyxWKW-0s
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Navy looking for heavy lift drone
January 1, 202115
The UK is looking for ‘an autonomous maritime airborne heavy lift capability for the Royal Navy’.

According to a ‘Request for Information’, the MoD is looking for the following:

“The Ministry Of Defence (The “Authority”) is currently seeking information in order to qualify requirements and develop our understanding of the potential for the market to provide an autonomous maritime airborne heavy lift capability for the Royal Navy.

Continues at:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/royal-n ... i9tHc6HNbM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ROYAL NAVY LOOKS TO FUTURE FOLLOWING SUCCESSFUL TECHNOLOGY TRIALS IN 2020
05 January 2021
From drones resupplying Royal Marines on the battlefield to crewless boats integrating with Royal Navy ships on deployment, 2020 was a year of firsts for technology in the senior service.

Numerous trials took place throughout the year in the Arctic Circle, the Mediterranean and around the UK.
The Royal Navy continued to forge ahead – despite the challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic – with bringing the latest technology to the front line and showed its commitment to getting cutting-edge equipment into the hands of sailors and marines.

Continues at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... p1gp2lSKGU
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Press release
Swarming drones concept flies closer to reality
A swarm of 20 drones has recently completed the largest collaborative, military focused evaluation of swarming uncrewed aerial vehicles (UAVs) in the UK.

Published 28 January 2021 From:
Defence Science and Technology Laboratory and Defence and Security Accelerator
The exercise was the culmination of the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl)’s ‘Many Drones Make Light Work’ competition, funded under the MOD’s Science and Technology Portfolio through the Defence and Security Accelerator (DASA).

Following 2 earlier phases, the £2.5 million contract for Phase 3 was awarded in January 2019. This was for an Integrated Concept Evaluation activity to explore the technical feasibility and military utility of a swarm of up to 20 small UAVs operating collaboratively. This was awarded to an industry team led by Blue Bear Systems Research including Plextek DTS, IQHQ, Airbus and Durham University.

The swarm consisted of 5 different types and sizes of fixed wing drones, with different operational capabilities, together with 6 different payload types, flying representative tasks at RAF Spadeadam in Cumbria. Three operators in Blue Bear’s Mobile Command and Control System (MCCS) managed the entire swarm whilst simultaneously handling different, collaborative payload analysis tasks.

Many Drones Make Light Work

The UAVs flew simultaneous Beyond Visual Line Of Sight (BVLOS) cooperative tasks, with Blue Bear collaborative autonomy ensuring they all contributed to overall mission goals.
Throughout the 2 weeks of trials, more than 220 sorties were undertaken.

The Dstl Project Technical Authority, said:
Dstl has been driving research in autonomous systems across different platforms and domains for many years. This is a significant step forward in our understanding of the capabilities of swarming drones and has been achieved through excellent collaboration across the MOD and with a number of small and medium enterprise partners. This 18 month collaboration has resulted in the demonstration of an operationally relevant capability and will inform and de-risk future choices and decisions about swarming drone capability.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

SMALL DRONES MAKE BIG IMPACT ON HMS TAMAR
29 January 2021
Drones could play a key role in tracking drug runners and smugglers after successful trials with the Navy’s newest class of ships in the Channel.

HMS Tamar made extensive use of small Puma aircraft during trials with the Royal Marines and the Met Police as the ship practices for ‘constabulary duties’ when she deploys for the first time this summer.

Although Tamar has a flight deck, she doesn’t carry a helicopter on a regular basis – there’s no hangar, so Merlin and Wildcat helicopters only use the ship for refuelling, collecting supplies or making a short stop.

The Puma could fulfil some of the helicopter’s intelligence-gathering role – with its 50-times zoom camera it feeds live footage back to a mother ship at ranges up to a dozen miles.

Building on their experiences aboard HMS Albion in the Mediterranean last year, a team from 700X Naval Air Squadron – the Fleet Air Arm’s only pilotless squadron – brought their drone to Tamar.

Just over 4½ft long, with a wingspan of 9ft and weighing as much as six bags of sugar, Puma can survey an area of up to 270 square miles of ocean – that’s larger than Greater Manchester – looking for suspicious activity during sorties lasting up to 2½ hours.

“We were under pressure to perform,” said Lieutenant Ash Loftus, Puma flight commander. “There are many additional challenges in preparing and launching safety from a ship. While it’s a relatively small aircraft, it has a large wing and requires some skill from the operator launching it from the ship.

“We completed 100 per cent of the tasks required of us by the ship. We were often flying out of line of sight to approach vessels, using the system’s cameras for identification purposes.

“We’d be in close communications with the officer of the watch and we were able to report back successfully on the identification of vessels.”

Continues, with photos, at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... mar-drones
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ROYAL NAVY TO RECEIVE WORLD-CLASS AUTONOMOUS MINESWEEPERS
29 January 2021
The Royal Navy is set to receive three world-class autonomous minesweepers to work on mine disposal operations and reduce the risk to sailors on these dangerous missions.

The crewless system is the first of its kind in the navy and will allow personnel to neutralise mines at range while on operations around the globe.

Thanks to its cutting-edge technology, the system, known as a Combined Influence Sweep (Sweep), can defeat modern digital sea mines which can pose risks by detecting and targeting passing ships and submarines.

A new autonomous vessel is at the heart of each of the three systems. It can neutralise many types of seas mines using equipment towed behind the boat that can generate a variety of simulated magnetic, acoustic and electric ship signatures to initiate the mine.

The whole system can be controlled remotely, either based at sea or on land, and can be deployed quickly when needed.

Continues, with photos, at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... inesweeper
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Weapons Engineering”