Queen Elizabeth Class - Airwings/Airgroups Except F35B

Add your posts about the Naval Aircraft in this section
Little h

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class - Airwings/Airgroups Except F35B

Unread post by Little h »

Pelican wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:36 pm
Just a thought - Should we have separate threads for each carrier's airwings?
Firstly I have a couple of questions for you David - what is a carrier's airwing? In the modern manner that these two platforms are going to operate - with UK joint Service squadrons, individual UK Service types and crews, foreign Services' types and crews .... etc ... are there ever going to be dedicated carrier airwings?

Aren't the Fleet Air Arm pretty much an adjunct to the ships and ships' company of the RN from which they operate, never really belonging to the ship that host them; and having more in common (or allegiance) with/to their Naval Air Squadron or Naval Air Station, than 'their' carrier?

But what of the aircraft and crew of the Army, RAF, USMC and indeed those from any other country that eventually operate from these two platforms .... what will be their respective status vis-avis belonging to a carrier's airwing?

Whatever the answers to the above - it seems to me that the number of threads are going to be extensive.

As you can see the subject has me more than a tad confused and clarification is needed/sought!!!
Little h
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

I was minded to move this thread to the Fleet Air Arm section of the forum, any thoughts on that?

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Little h

jbryce1437 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:17 pm I was minded to move this thread to the Fleet Air Arm section of the forum, any thoughts on that?

Jim
Using the search facility I was looking for the FAA section on the forum earlier this afternoon Jim ... but couldn't find it :oops:

In answer to your Q. - That would be my preference but I think David has the exclusivity of each of the two carrier's airwings in mind ... just my take on it of course.
Little h
jbryce1437

Little h wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:24 pm
jbryce1437 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:17 pm I was minded to move this thread to the Fleet Air Arm section of the forum, any thoughts on that?

Jim
Using the search facility I was looking for the FAA section on the forum earlier this afternoon Jim ... but couldn't find it :oops:

In answer to your Q. - That would be my preference but I think David has the exclusivity of each of the two carrier's airwings in mind ... just my take on it of course.
I was on my phone when I made the post and couldn't copy and paste the link to the thread, which is in the Aircraft of the Fleets section here or into the Fleet Air Arm section here

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
Retired since 2002
Little h

jbryce1437 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:27 pm

Jim

I was on my phone when I made the post and couldn't copy and paste the link to the thread, which is in the Aircraft of the Fleets section here or into the Fleet Air Arm section here

Jim
Cheers for that Jim - I knew there was a place where the FAA stuff was dealt with and I have even posted in threads on both your linked sections. Either or both are perfectly good destinations for any/all the RN carrier airwing content.
Little h
jbryce1437

Little h wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:45 pm
jbryce1437 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:27 pm

Jim
Cheers for that Jim - I knew there was a place where the FAA stuff was dealt with and I have even posted in threads on both your linked sections. Either or both are perfectly good destinations for any/all the RN carrier airwing content.
it would also entail moving the F35B thread to that section

Jim
Retired since 2002
Little h

jbryce1437 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:48 pm
it would also entail moving the F35B thread to that section

Jim
That's one big thread already Jim; so been having a re-think and offer the following:-

Since no F35B's have as yet operated off the POW R09, perhaps rename the existing 'F35B - Lightning II' thread to become 'QE R08 Airwing' (or similar); and use the existing content there-in as the basis for the QE R08 airwing thread.

There would then only be a need to open one other thread to cope with the 'POW R09 Airwing' contributions.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Airwing thread.
My suggestion on Airwings is now that the aircraft, except the F35B, are now dealt with via the squadron that they belong to.
i.e. Each squadron has a separate thread in the F.A.A . Section proper, not the photos gallery which surely is just for photos?
I believe that the F35B thread should stay as it is for now until a dedicated NAS is formed and that can be dealt with as above.
Complications may arise when RAF and USMC squadron[s] of F35Bs operate from the QEC.
Perhaps they could become honorary members of the FAA section for posting purposes?
As to posts about other aircraft, which presumably will be small by number if taken by type, they can be added to the appropriate QE or PoW thread or do we need another thread e.g. "Misc. Aircraft Operating From QEC"?
Whatever is decided it should be simple and logical so that both posters' and readers can go straight to a dedicated thread about the aircraft type in question and not have to scroll thru reams of other information.
In order to save Jim a lot of work perhaps this thread could be closed to further post with an appropriate notice directing members to wherever.
Trust the above is of some assistance.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Little h

OK this is not about the QEC carriers but just using these two sources as an example of going down the NAS (Naval Air Squadron) route .... the NAS outlined below neither have a) any aircraft or b) belong to a ship!!!!

NAS 1700

Facts and figures
Ships, Naval Air Squadrons and external Units

Over 200 people
in flexible teams.

Officially recommissioned.

The 1700 NAS provides tailored teams – from two to fifty – so ships or any other detached operating bases have the support staff they need, whenever, wherever.

The Maritime Aviation Support Force (MASF) became ‘1700 Naval Air Squadron’ on 31st October 2017.

The Squadron provides Engineering, Aviation and Logistical support to operations and exercises all over the world at sea and ashore.

On average 65% (90) of 1700 NAS personnel are deployed supporting operations KIPION, APT(N), Force Gen and SNMG2. A further 35% (50) of the unit remain at R2 ready to deploy.

The remaining personnel are based at 1700 NAS HQ, RNAS Culdrose. Managing manpower rotations, deployments and their movements.

Flight deck, Logistical support, Operations, Engineering support, Warfare and even Medical assistance are supplied by 1700 NAS.

Our missions statement is to support Maritime and Aviation Operations within the RN and RFA, providing suitably qualified, experienced personnel and equipment which is tailored for Tri Service operational capability.

Source; royalnavy.mod.uk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NavyLookout Retweeted
RNAS Culdrose
@RNASCuldrose
21m21 minutes ago

Our team on @RFAArgus has been helping the @ArmyAirCorps to find its sea legs. 656 Squadron Apaches have been onboard to get their deck qualifications

1700 NAS’s team manage the deck & enable safe aviation. Here’s the view from FLYCO’s window, possibly the best on the ship!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So we have NAS's; Squadron's; Aircraft types; .... and outfits without any aircraft.

My preference is still for two threads, each dealing with all the aircraft types (including the F35B's) from whatever source.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The FAA currently have/will have about 19 NAS any of which can be operating with the QEC depending on current demands and situations see:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/our-organi ... et-air-arm

If they are all listed in the F.A.A. Section it will be easier to keep track of them whatever their and the QEC task.

Spare a thought for older members - 'A convoy moves at the speed of the slowest ship.'
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Aircraft and Aircraft Squadrons of the Fleets”