Queen Elizabeth Class - Airwings/Airgroups Except F35B

Add your posts about the Naval Aircraft in this section
Pelican

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class - Airwings/Airgroups Except F35B

Unread post by Pelican »

From Navy News:

When they said “do you fancy a dip in the ocean” we thought they meant hands to bathe…
A Merlin Mk2 of 820 Naval Air Squadrons lowers her ‘dipping sonar’ into the Atlantic as the fliers hone their skills safeguarding Britain’s biggest warship.
It’s the task of the Culdrose-based squadron to ensure no hostile submarine poses a threat to HMS Queen Elizabeth, courtesy of their helicopters’ impressive suite of sensors, from the dipping sonar, lowered in the water while the Merlin hovers and her crew listen for contacts, to dropping automated sonobuoys which are left in the ocean and feed data back to the fliers.
In addition to underwater foes, Merlin is used to monitor surface threats and untoward activity.
As part of the ‘3D’ cover the future flagship will be given by Merlin helicopter, the Crowsnest variant will join the carrier air group in a little over a year’s time at act as the all-seeing eyes in the sky of the task group.
Flown by 849 Naval Air Squadron, Crowsnest replaces the ‘bagger’ Sea Kings which retire this month, and sees an upgraded version of the radar and software used by the veteran helicopters installed on Merlin Mk2s to give them greater range and coverage.
As for HMS Queen Elizabeth, having evaded Hurricane Florence which has battered the parts of the US Eastern Seaboard, she's due into Norfolk, Virginia, imminently to embark scores of experts and their kit ready to begin maiden fast jet trials with F-35B Lightnings.
Pictures: LPhot Kyle Heller, HMS Queen Elizabeth
More photos at: https://www.facebook.com/NavyNewsUK/pho ... =3&theater
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Following from Navy News Group FB:
"BAGGER crews fought through weather conditions ‘on the limit’ to bid farewell to the people of Devon and Cornwall today in a three-hour flypast."
Last para reads:
"The helicopters face one final flight – from Culdrose to HMS Sultan in Gosport, where they will await disposal – next week.
Their airborne surveillance and control role will be taken over by the new Merlin Crowsnest which arrives at Culdrose next year and will operate from new carriers HMS Queen Elizabeth and Prince of Wales from 2020 onwards."
From: https://www.facebook.com/NavyNewsUK/pos ... __tn__=K-R
Which includes some nice photos by PO(Phot) Dave Gallagher
https://www.facebook.com/NavyNewsUK/pho ... =3&theater
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

From CO of 845 Sqdn a few hours ago. The Merlin is awaiting the arrival of the first F35B: https://twitter.com/cdrbobbond/status/1 ... 94912?s=12
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

What 42 Commando and their Choppers are up to - https://twitter.com/42_commando/status/ ... 26912?s=19
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

744 SQUADRON
The British Royal Navy has re-commissioned the 744 Naval Air Squadron after 62 years to test advanced weapons and sensors to strengthen the country’s air defences.
The squadron will work to introduce the Crowsnest Merlin airborne surveillance and control helicopter to the Royal Navy’s frontline service over the next 18 months.
In addition, the new unit will be responsible for bringing the Royal Air Force’s (RAF) upgraded and modernised Chinook Mk5 and Mk6 helicopters to the frontline service.
At the end of October 1956, the squadron was disbanded at RAF St Mawgan in Cornwall, where it supported the development of anti-submarine warfare tactics for two years.
Continues at - https://www.naval-technology.com/news/7 ... -squadron/
Also - https://www.fleetairarmoa.org/news/comm ... r-squadron
[The Merlins with Crowsnest onboard with of course form part of the QEC Airwings]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

820 SQDN
‘Big Dippers’ hit the Bahamas as Navy's premier sub hunters hone skills
Britain’s premier submarine hunters raised the bar with an intensive three-week workout at the world’s leading underwater warfare range.
Helicopters from 820 Naval Air Squadron – charged with shielding the UK’s aircraft carrier from unwanted underwater attention – left HMS Queen Elizabeth to hone their skills on a vast range in the Bahamas.
See:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... HJH8jnxRDU
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

COMMANDER JAMES HALL IS NEW MERLIN FORCE COMMANDER OF RNAS CULDROSE

"He was integral to 849 Naval Air Squadron, flying Sea King Mk 7 ASaC aircraft. Also Commanding Officer of 857 Naval Air Squadron where he returned to Afghanistan to lead the final phase of Sea King ASaC operations at Camp Bastion.

Being Head of Merlin Force he will contribute to the regeneration of a UK sovereign Carrier Strike capability. The Merlin aircraft are key part of the UK’s Maritime Task Group supporting UK security interests, both in its current Maritime Patrol Helicopter role, and introduction to service of the CROWSNEST airborne surveillance and control capability, which we hopefully will start seeing initially in 2019."

From Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose on FB:

Commander James Hall is our new Merlin Force Commander. He is a very well-known face to many at RNAS Culdrose, having spent a great deal of his career serving on Culdrose based Squadrons.

A key player on 849 Naval Air Squadron, flying Sea King Mk 7 ASaC aircraft, he was also Commanding Officer of 857 Naval Air Squadron where he returned to Afghanistan to lead the final phase of Sea King ASaC operations at Camp Bastion.

He last served at RNAS Culdrose as Deputy Commander of the RN Fixed Wing Force. Cdr Hall takes over from Cdr Mike Currie.

Cdr Hall said: “It is an immense privilege to be returning to RNAS Culdrose as the Merlin Force Commander, and I am honoured to be leading the highly trained aircrew and maintainers who prepare, generate and operate this world class anti-submarine warfare capability. It is clear to me that a huge amount of effort has been required to establish the Merlin MK2 aircraft as an integral part of the future Fleet Air Arm.”

“There will undoubtedly be many challenges ahead as we continue to protect UK interests both at home and worldwide. I am delighted to be at the helm of the Merlin Force as we contribute to the regeneration of a UK sovereign Carrier Strike capability. The Merlin aircraft will be a fundamental part of the UK’s Maritime Task Group supporting UK security interests around the globe, both in its current Maritime Patrol Helicopter role, and with the introduction to service of the CROWSNEST airborne surveillance and control capability.”

“I look forward to meeting all of the valuable people who contribute to the Merlin Helicopter Force at RNAS Culdrose, primarily the dedication and support from families of our serving personnel without who we would not be able to operate as successfully.”
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Little h

Unread post by Little h »

Pelican wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:11 am 820 SQDN See - https://twitter.com/HMSQnlz/status/1071693271154524161
It is most definitely British weather out there so we must nearly be home. 💨☂️🌊
Today we disembark our resident flight, 820 NAS and the one that has furthered our capability during #Westlant18 with #CommandoMerlin 845 NAS Safe home to @RNASCuldrose @RNASYeovilton

------------------------------
Re. Today we disembark our resident flight methinks that's something of a contradiction in terms ... 'resident' = to remain/stay somewhere permanently or on long term basis.

Nothing changes eh - the zoomie(s):-
- prior to deployment - last to leave home = last to embark
- on completion of deployment - first to disembark - first to arrive home
Just saying ;)
Little h
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Aircraft and Aircraft Squadrons of the Fleets”