RN Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs) - River Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs) - River Class

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Medway, HMS Spey and HMS Tamar have met up in the Carribean.

HMS Spey and Tamar both recently left Portsmouth as they sailed on a mission which will see them deployed from the eastern shores of Africa to the west coast of the USA over the next five years.

The two ships will arrive in the Pacific on the back of the maiden deployment by HMS Queen Elizabeth and her Carrier Strike Group.

Continues at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/three-b ... ibean-sea/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Trent deploys on security mission to West Africa

See - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... -of-guinea
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:49 pm HMS Trent deploys on security mission to West Africa

See - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... -of-guinea
UK Royal Navy Ship to Conduct Gulf of Guinea Security Patrols

Britain’s Royal Navy will be sending the patrol ship HMS Trent to the Gulf of Guinea for security patrols and to provide support to West African allies.

The mission will mark the Royal Navy’s first in three years in the region.

HMS Trent will have 17 members of the Royal Marines’ 42 Commando unit on board to help carry out a range of joint exercises and training to strengthen ties and develop plans for future operations in the region. The ship will also conduct security patrols and support partner navies by helping to develop key maritime skills, like boarding and searching of suspicious vessels, as well as evidence handling and medical skills.

The 42 Commando unit are experts in boarding operations which will fight against illegal activity like piracy, drugs-smuggling and terrorism.

Continues at - https://gcaptain.com/uk-royal-navy-ship ... y-patrols/

Link from Tim.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

'SPEYMAR'

California steamin’ for Pacific duo HMS Tamar and Spey

THE Royal Navy’s first permanent Pacific presence in a quarter of a century have arrived in San Diego.

Task Group 326.03 – Her Majesty’s Ships Tamar and Spey – sailed into the US Navy’s principal West Coast base bringing some dazzle to the Californian sunshine.

Extracts:

The distinctively-painted duo – each ship has adopted the wartime ‘dazzle paint’ camouflage scheme to make them stand out – will spend a few days in the city, before striking out across 2,600 miles of the Pacific for their first major stop of their deployment: Pearl Harbor in Hawaii.

The ships’ flight decks double as ‘mission decks’ for storing containers or, in the future, RN PODs for drone/autonomous minehunting kit, relief supplies, or a control or command hub for Royal Marine raiding teams; the patrol vessels have a 50-berth mess set aside for additional troops/commandos.

Half the ship’s company return home every few weeks – replaced by shipmates heading out from the UK. It means Tamar and Spey are more available for operations and gives their sailors more settled lives.

The duo are planned to be deployed for five to ten years, paving the way for similar operations by the future Type 31 frigates currently under construction.

See - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... r-and-spey
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Batch I River Class OPVs extended in service until 2028

The Integrated Review was unclear about the future of the three Batch 1 OPVs but a recent support contract award announcement makes it clear that these ships will remain in service until at least April 2028.

In November 2018 it was announced that the three Batch 1 OPVs would be retained in service. (The 4th modified vessel, HMS Clyde was sold to Bahrain in 2020). This was a reversal of the 2015 SDSR decision that they would permanently retire from service as the Batch II OPVs were delivered. By the time of the announcement, HMS Severn had formally decommissioned but HMS Tyne never held her farewell ceremony that was planned for May 2018. HMS Tyne was reactivated in July 2018 and HMS Mersey never went out of service. After refit, HMS Severn returned to operations in July 2020 and her formal recommissioning ceremony, delayed by COVID, was held alongside in London during August 2021. The attractive sounding 2018 plan that the ships would be base-ported around the UK, HMS Tyne in Newcastle, HMS Mersey in Liverpool and HMS Severn in Cardiff, was abandoned due to the complications in logistic support requirements.

In May 2021 the MoD Naval Ships Support (NSS) Team issued a tender for the future in-service support of 3 Batch 1 OPVs and 5 Batch 2 OPVs. The successful bidder would be required to plan for “the execution of global repair and maintenance; engineering support, planned preventative and corrective maintenance, Operational Defect rectification; obsolescence management; stores management; logistic support; risk management; and post-design services” BAE Systems was the incumbent contractor and has maintained the OPVs in partnership with A&P Falmouth for some years.

A contract award notice published by DE&S on 14 October indicates that the out of service date for the three ships – HMS Severn, HMS Tyne, and HMS Mersey has been extended to April 2028. Unsurprisingly, BAE Systems retains the support contract which has a value of between £350M – £400M.

Keeping the Batch Is in service until at least 2028 will provide a measure of certainty to finely-balanced fleet planning. Without them, some of the Batch II vessels, all five of which are now forward-deployed overseas, would have to return home to maintain fishery protection and UK waters patrol duties. Assuming the Type 31 frigate project can keep to its taut construction schedule, then the first ship, HMS Venturer, should be available to relive a forward-deployed Batch II to return to the UK in 2027/8. The current expectation is that the Type 31s will gradually replace the OPVs on station overseas.

Source Navy Lookout.

HMS Severn enters Portsmouth on 14 October 2021 in her new ‘Western Approaches World War II’ paint scheme. Besides general patrol duties, Severn is regularly employed as the fleet navigation training ship – note the portacabins on the quarterdeck used as training classrooms (Photo: Amy Savage)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

SEVERN at sunrise at anchor off the Isle of Wight - seen from HMS Hurworth
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout

2 Royal Navy OPVs put on a state of “high readiness” (likely HMS Tyne and Severn) to tackle potential port blockades by French fishing boats.
Another dumb dispute that won't be solved on the high seas.
See - https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ies-france
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”