RN Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs) - River Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs) - River Class

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Trent returned to Gibraltar this afternoon.

Recent lengthy unplanned docking in Gib apparently required for rectification of hull corrosion due to cathodic protection issues.
(Problem specific to Trent and not other B2OPVS).
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

A Royal Navy warship has deployed to West Africa to deliver training to countries across the region, aiding the fight against maritime crime, including piracy and armed robbery.

HMS Trent sailed from Gibraltar with an expert boarding team of Royal Marines and a Puma surveillance drone, tasked with increasing stability across the Gulf of Guinea through training, in order to protect around £6 billion of UK trade that passes through the region.

The ship – tasked with providing a regular presence in the Mediterranean and Africa – will deliver training to help partner navies take the fight to malign actors, fostering ties and sharing knowledge, whilst conducting patrols to increase security.
Continues, including many photos, at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... -in-africa
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Spey: Portsmouth patrol vessel becomes first Royal Navy ship to visit Timor-Leste since independence

A Portsmouth-based warship has become the first Royal Navy vessel to visit a pacific island nation since it claimed independence.
See - https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/defen ... ce-4275803 - LFT
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Navy: Portsmouth-based HMS Tyne and other ships stalk Russian vessels in extensive operation

Beady eyes are being kept on Russian warships sailing across the English Channel and elsewhere by Royal Navy vessels.
See - https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/defen ... on-4275268 - LFT
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pacific patrol ships begin third year deployed broadening their mission

Royal Navy patrol ships will experiment with protecting underwater infrastructure and the collective security of the Indo-Pacific region as the third year of their ground-breaking mission begins.

HMS Tamar and Spey’s programme until the end of 2023 continues to expand the effectiveness and utility of the Royal Navy’s Offshore Patrol Ships, deployed around the globe in key regions.

It’s two years since the two sister ships left their home base of Portsmouth to re-establish a permanent Royal Navy presence in the Indo-Pacific – the first time since the return of Hong Kong a quarter of a century ago.

HMS Tamar is spending the autumn – spring in the Southern Hemisphere – in and around Australia and Oceania, while Spey will be concentrating her efforts around Central and East Asia.
Continues at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... ir-mission
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Yes David I can see that these postings abroad would gather their attention promptly, but I suspect it is a case of a "roll of the dice" as to where you end up on duty , except for the lucky few , and the question to go must be well subscribed understandably ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:17 pm Yes David I can see that these postings abroad would gather their attention promptly, but I suspect it is a case of a "roll of the dice" as to where you end up on duty , except for the lucky few , and the question to go must be well subscribed understandably ;)
Similar to those now up the Gulf the crews are rotated on those 2 OPVs so 'fair shares for all' + today's Matelots don't like being away for too long + today's recruitment situation means that they can call the tune Ivor.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Yes it would certainly seem that way David , .....sign of the times and current attitude it would appear , thanks for responding ... ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Forth finally left Gibraltar yesterday on completion of her first major refit and sea trials.

Now returning to the South Atlantic to relieve HMS Medway as Falkland Islands Patrol Vessel.
Photo at - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 0020952086
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Trent with 700X NAS detachment operating PUMA surveillance UAV during operations in the Gulf of Guinea.

https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 2056143996
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”