RN Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs) - River Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs) - River Class

Unread post by Pelican »

Severn resurrects wartime paint scheme as she rejoins the Naval family

HMS Tamar and Spey may dazzle, but HMS Severn vanishes – that’s the theory as the patrol ship becomes the third RN vessel to revert to an historic paint scheme.

Ahead of her recommissioning ceremony in London on Saturday, the ship has received the ‘Western Approaches’ livery – as applied to U-boat killers through much of World War 2.

The combination of blue-grey and green-grey on a background of white and light grey was first applied to destroyer HMS Broke in 1940 and was subsequently ‘worn’ by ships operating in the namesake approaches – extending about 1,000 miles from the UK into the Atlantic – to make it difficult for German U-boat commanders to spot them, especially in heavy seas.

Continues, including photos, at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... vern-paint
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS SEVERN on her way up the Thames this afternoon. Now berthed alongside HMS Belfast (1939). Will hold her formal re-commissioning ceremony tomorrow.

Also see - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/our-organi ... hms-severn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Second life officially begins for Severn after Thames recommissioning

Patrol ship HMS Severn was today officially welcomed back into the Royal Navy family – despite being busy on operations for the past 14 months.

Berthed alongside world-famous wartime cruiser HMS Belfast on the Thames near Tower Bridge, the River-class ship was recommissioned in a traditional naval ceremony in the heart of the nation’s capital.

A hectic schedule and Covid/lockdown restrictions prevented the Portsmouth-based warship formally rejoining the Fleet as she enjoys a ‘second life’ under the White Ensign.

Severn arrived in the Pool of London after a short maintenance period in Falmouth Docks. There, the dockyard applied a unique paint scheme, mirroring ships who waged the Battle of the Atlantic 80 years ago.

The combination of blue-grey and green-grey on a background of white and light grey is known as the Western Approaches paint scheme.

Continues, including photos, at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... mmissioned
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

FROM USNI

This past week, the River-class offshore patrol vessel HMS Severn became the first ship since WWII to be painted with the Western Approaches camouflage scheme as seen in this image of the destroyer HMCS Restigouche in 1941. HMS Severn's fresh scheme is a tribute to sailors of the Battle of the Atlantic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Severn alongside Belfast this evening - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 1170603013
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

SEPTEMBER 6, 2021 ~ ANALYSIS

Royal Navy warships sail for permanent basing in the Indo-Pacific region

Two brand new Offshore Patrol Vessels will sail tomorrow for the Indo-Pacific where they are expected to spend the next five years or more. Here we look at the outline plan for this deployment and the wider implications of basing these ships in this vast area.
Two brand new Offshore Patrol Vessels will sail tomorrow for the Indo-Pacific where they are expected to spend the next five years or more. Here we look at the outline plan for this deployment and the wider implications of basing these ships in this vast area.

Continues at - https://www.navylookout.com/royal-navy- ... JwUgDPHhuQ
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Why Royal Navy Ships Are Set For 5 Years Away

See - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olIOYryJ_Y4
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

WORLD UCKERS CHAMPIONSHIPS

Naval 'sporting history' recreated thanks to Dave MacAskill hmdstores.co.uk
and the crew of HMS TAMAR they have recreated a photograph we used in a caption competition for a bottle of Pusser's rum, in conjunction with this years World Uckers Championships. Good to see some 'traditions' are still alive and well in the RN BRAVO ZULU TAMAR.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

And very smartly turned out to .......
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”