HMS Victory

Post here about Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and its Exhibits
jbryce1437

HMS Victory

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

History:
HMS Victory is a 104 gun first-rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy. She was launched in 1765 and is best known as the Flag Ship of Admiral Lord Nelson at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.
She also served as Admiral Augustus Keppel's flagship at Ushant 1778, Admiral of the Fleet Richard Howe's flagship at Cape Spartel 1782 and Admiral of the Fleet John Jervis's flagship at Cape St Vincent 1797.
In 1824 she commenced a period of harbour service as the Port Admiral's flagship in Portsmouth harbour, where she stayed afloat until she was moved to No 2 Dry Dock in Portsmouth Dockyard, where she remains today.
She is the oldest commissioned warship in the world and is currently the Flag Ship of the First Sea Lord.

HMS Victory afloat in Portsmouth Harbour
HMS Victory in Portsmouth Harbour.jpg

HMS Victory in No 2 Dry Dock Portsmouth Dockyard in 1944
HMS Victory October 1944.jpg

HMS Victory more recently
file333a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Re: HMS Victory - History

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Another worthy site to indulge your pride in and wallow in History of days gone past when it meant something to proclaim you were British and proud of it !

Karen and I went there a little while back now whilst visiting Portsmouth around the time the type 42 Destroyers first came into the public domain .

Loved every minute despite the hassle of ladders and a disintegrating spine , but hey this is the Navy were talking about here so get yourself down there and visit our heritage whilst you can . Take warning .....The Cutty Sark is next !

Another place where time disappears quicker than a drink in front of a matelot :lol:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
designeraccd

Re: HMS Victory

Unread post by designeraccd »

How about a very nice view of Nelson's flagship on this "Trafalgar Day"??? Also a view from a "few" years ago.. ;) :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

A few from me; a view of Victory from when TTL was CinC at Portsmouth by a Navy photographer, they later used it as a Christmas card. A view of Victory's stern and one from our Jim Rae he sent me ages ago....

I wanted to post a few of our Russian veterans enjoying a tot of rum in the Great Cabin from Victory Day 2017 but need to find it first!
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

HMS Victory..in the days when she was fully rigged...1954.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

HMS Victory launched on May 7th 1765,looking rather bald without her full rigging..May 7th 2020.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Victory has reached the half-way point of a £40m, 20-year revamp in stunning fashion.

Thanks to cutting-edge technology, visitors can see underneath the ship for the first time when she reopens on August 24 - something not even Nelson himself did - thanks to special supporting spokes which have replaced the cradles that have held the Trafalgar flagship up for nearly a century.
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... 4BU-GInliM

Video at - https://www.facebook.com/NavyNewsUK/vid ... 351203278/

Also - https://www.facebook.com/royalnavy/vide ... 044483166/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

H.M.S. VICTORY

Revealed: How a 200-year-old Royal Navy figurehead was mistakenly sawn into pieces
Exclusive: The 21st-century mistake that has helped reveal the sculptural legacy of Trafalgar

See:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... o54ArZaIOc
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Ipswich Maritime Trust

Next week marks the 250th anniversary of the death of Thomas Slade. The designer of the HMS Victory and master shipwright at Deptford and a key maritime figure from 18th century Ipswich and who is buried at St Clements Church in Ipswich.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Ipswich Maritime Trust
Today is the 250th Anniversary of the death of Sir Thomas Slade, designer of HMS Victory who is buried here in Ipswich. Throughout the day the carillon bells at the church will ring out across the waterfront and town with various maritime songs.
We will share a video of some of these songs later on today. Also tune into BBC Radio Suffolk around 3pm to hear more as well.

Church bells will ring to honour Ipswich naval legend Sir Thomas Slade
The special chimes for the day have been arranged by bell ringer Katharine Salter and are being operated remotely. They will include the songs Shantyman and Blow The Man Down, and will sound at 10am, 12 noon and through the day, finishing with A Drop of Nelson’s Blood at 7pm

See:
https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/st-clements ... kKeTLGEHWQ
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and Off Site Attractions”