HMS Victory

Post here about Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and its Exhibits
Pelican

Re: HMS Victory

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Victory Safely Berthed

The 20 year-long project to secure HMS Victory in her dock at Portsmouth's Historic Dockyard has now been completed.
The installation of the new high-tech props has allowed The National Museum of the Royal Navy to install a walkway underneath the ship giving visitors a more intimate experience of this iconic ship.

See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujqUg2aTeqc
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

‘Good Luck’ Coin Found Under HMS Victory’s Mast

Happy Trafalgar Day, one day late. A story for Trafalgar Day, plus one.

See - http://www.oldsaltblog.com/2021/10/good ... more-58365
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:41 pm ‘Good Luck’ Coin Found Under HMS Victory’s Mast

Happy Trafalgar Day, one day late. A story for Trafalgar Day, plus one.

See - http://www.oldsaltblog.com/2021/10/good ... more-58365
See - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... ctory-coin
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Internationales Maritimes Museum Hamburg

216 years ago today, on October the 21st 1805, one of the most important battles in the history of naval warfare took place: The Battle of Trafalgar. This decisive naval battle between the British Royal Navy under Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson and the French and Spanish allies under Admiral Pierre de Villeneuve is seen as the start of a century of British global naval control. Lord Nelson won but died in the battle. He did both aboard his flagship, HMS Victory.

This ship, whose history we wrote in more detail in a post last year, was ordered in 1758 but not commissioned until 1778. After a refit that had her becoming the most powerful vessel of the Royal Navy, she became Nelson’s Flagship in 1803. After Trafalgar she was in a poor condition, but had become an iconic ship. In the 1830 she became probably the first museum ship in the world. Between 1921 and 2005 an incredible restoration/conservation project had her set back to her condition before Trafalgar. She is still on dry dock in Portsmouth, open for visitors and, as part of the British National Historic Fleet, by far the oldest commissioned naval ship.

It was as such that the excellent model maker Udo Flohr visited her. To describe his feeling as fascination would be too mild of a word. He had actually retired from model making, but he bought the book about HMS Victory by John McKay, published in 1987, and when from there on collecting all documentation he could find on the architecture and history of the ship. On a winter evening of 2008 he decided to start modeling again. He chose to build just the central section of the ship, in a scale of 1:75 and using pear wood. When this part was done he chose to build the bow part, letting planks off so the internal architecture he had fallen in love with could be appreciated. Of course, he did the stern section as well. Five years later the masterwork was completed. Udo Flohr eventually contacted our founder Prof. Peter Tamm, asking if the museum would be interested in the model. Need we say more?

It has since been displayed in our exhibition about shipbuilding on deck 3 of the museum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Better and in more detail than anything I could lay my hands on[ with my meagre budget ] thank you for posting that David , ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

On 100th Year Anniversary of Drydocking: £35m Committed to Ongoing Restoration of HMS Victory

One hundred years ago today, on January 12, 1922, Nelson’s flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar, HMS Victory was moved to Drydock No. 2 in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard for restoration and preservation. In honour of the anniversary, it was announced that an additional £35m is being committed for continued repairs to the historic ship.

A dockyard spokeswoman said: “Rotting planking will be removed from the hull and replaced with new oak, repairs made to the ship’s structural framework, and she will be fully re-rigged, in a process lasting 10 to 15 years and costing £35 million.

“The project will provide visitors with a once-in-a-generation opportunity to see beneath Victory’s skin and experience a first-rate line-of-battle ship being taken through a great repair.”

The new project is part of a 20-year conservation program. A new docking structure utilizing 134 high-tech “props” to distribute the load across the hull was completed this summer.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/nels ... 6OfRdUuNwg - Refers.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Victory & the Ship of Theseus, Thoughts on Varied Lives of A Ship

See - http://www.oldsaltblog.com/2022/01/hms- ... more-58719
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Scientists help protect HMS Victory from the elements for the next 50 years

Boffins are looking for the best paint, glues and fastenings to keep Nelson’s flagship weatherproof and watertight for the next half century.
Engineers from the University of Southampton are working with HMS Victory’s conservators ahead of the next phase of a £35m revamp of the legendary warship: replacing rotting planks, repairing the structure of the hull and renewing the rigging.

The University’s nC2 Engineering Consultancy has designed a series of tests to assess the long-term performance of a range of paints, caulking and glues (sealants) and metal fastenings being considered for the overhaul.

“Rainwater is probably our biggest enemy in terms of the ship’s preservation, so we are undertaking a ten-year programme of work to make sure the critical envelope of the ship is weatherproof,” explained Diana Davis, head of conservation at the National Museum of the Royal Navy

“We want to know as much as possible about the materials we are using – taking an evidence-based approach to choose the right products. nC2 is helping us to do that and even if there’s no perfect product that will last the full 50 years, their data will enable us to plan our maintenance schedule to keep the ship watertight.”

nC2 director Dr Nicola Symonds said rain, wind and salt all took their toll on the 260-year-old man o’war, as did the summer heat.

“Much of the planking is painted black, so it gets hot in the sun on one side, but not the other – and this temperature difference takes its toll over time,” she explained.

Continues, including photos, at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... q27tFiNuy4
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Divers from the team that brought HMS Victory into drydock no. 2 in 1925.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and Off Site Attractions”