QEC Carriers

Post here about equipment carried on ships
Little h

Re: QEC Carriers

Unread post by Little h »

[quote="Little h" post_id=9308 time=1561937812 user_id=70]
Some more of my observations on the Glamox FL60N Wide beam floodlights.

As their website identified they offer a variety of LED clusters and I believe that my observations may now include a) the twin floodlight (2 x module) and b) the quad LED floodlight cluster (4 x module) types

------------------------------------------------------------------

Had a light bulb moment as I remembered who had posted images (on twitter) that can clear this up .... yep @TugmasterRob Rob Hinton on Twitter so here is the answer to the (2 x module) -V- (4 x module) clusters:-
, D7bicYWXYAEEgFD @TugmasterRob Rob Hinton twitter - Copy.jpg
, D9Rf1aIXYAAIw7b @TugmasterRob twitter - Copy.jpg

Apologies for the suggestion that the stbd quarter floodlights may have been a pair of 2 x LED Floodlights.

So; it transpires that they are all mounted in clusters of 4 x LED Floodlights.

Here are a couple of links to @TugmasterRob on twitter
TugmasterRob
TugmasterRob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Little h

[quote="Little h" post_id=9308 time=1561937812 user_id=70]
Some more of my observations on the Glamox FL60N Wide beam floodlights.

.... and a couple more sited under/beneath separate sponsons on the stbd side, below and outboard of, the fwd island.

DlHmevhXoAA0GSR.jpg large StRN twitter.jpg

late edit.... and as has already been established it's always to check from a different angle ... yep, they are definately in clusters of 4 x LED modules, see:-
Da-9Fu9W0AAViPL HMQNLZ Twitter (2).jpg

Source; of 2nd image HMQNLZ on Twitter

That is enough for now methinks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Little h

PoW R09

Some more of my observations .... (but not of the Glamox FL60N Wide beam floodlights).... this time the features can be seen mounted to the outboard surface of the 'port deck edge walkway screen' (close to some of the LED floodlights)

These observations were made whilst looking at other features on the inboard surface of the port deckdedge walkway screen.
The two pairs visible in the image were both mounted that the rear surface of the pair faced fwd. They are mounted so as to be angle outboard and facing aft (to a point off the port quarter) ..... my interest was again piqued .... the more so since QE R08 does not appear to be so fitted.

Begs the question why should PoW R09 be so fitted before acceptance trials whilst QE R08 (and F35B's) is about to embark on Westlant 19 without same.

Initial observation:-

PoW R09
27599132027_b34b832313_o ACA PoW R09 Flickr copy (3).jpg

Today, a search of saved images revealed the features to have been installed prior to the PoW R09 float out , 21st Dec 2017. (and I had posted about the down light strip(s) on the stern using the same image as a source :oops: )

PoW R09
POW R09 ACA 38493391264_ffbaf650b2_o Float Out (4) - Copy.jpg

(The features are identified surrounded by the rounded rectangles in red)

Compare the above image of PoW R09 with that of QE R08 at anchor (below); the LED floodlights are clearly visible but there is no sign of the feature(s) in the previous two images. (double click for a clear image)

QE R08
,ACA 34779629283_26af55fb78_o (2).jpg
Little h
Little h

Little h wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:33 pm PoW R09

Some more of my observations .... (but not of the Glamox FL60N Wide beam floodlights).... this time the features can be seen mounted to the outboard surface of the 'port deck edge walkway screen' (close to some of the LED floodlights)

These observations were made whilst looking at other features on the inboard surface of the port deckdedge walkway screen.
The two pairs visible in the image were both mounted that the rear surface of the pair faced fwd. They are mounted so as to be angle outboard and facing aft (to a point off the port quarter) ..... my interest was again piqued .... the more so since QE R08 does not appear to be so fitted.

Begs the question why should PoW R09 be so fitted before acceptance trials whilst QE R08 (and F35B's) is about to embark on Westlant 19 without same.

PoW R09

Today, a search of saved images revealed the features to have been installed prior to the PoW R09 float out , 21st Dec 2017. (and I had posted about the down light strip(s) on the stern using the same image as a source :oops: )

PoW R09

Compare the above image of PoW R09 with that of QE R08 at anchor (below); the LED floodlights are clearly visible but there is no sign of the feature(s) in the previous two images. (double click for a clear image)

QE R08

Still none the wiser after a weekend of searching/browsing the t'internet :oops:

On completion of the QE R08 cold 'Wind ship' evolution; not seen any images showing her having been similarily fitted out in readiness for Westlant 19.
Little h
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Little h wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:09 pm

PoW R09

PoW R09

QE R08

Still none the wiser after a weekend of searching/browsing the t'internet :oops:

On completion of the QE R08 cold 'Wind ship' evolution; not seen any images showing her having been similarily fitted out in readiness for Westlant 19.
As they are all facing aft, I wonder if they could be glide path approach lights, or something along those lines.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Little h

jbryce1437 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:11 pm

As they are all facing aft, I wonder if they could be glide path approach lights, or something along those lines.
Jim
Jim,

That (or similar) is high on my list of guesses .... but .... having browsed/read copious pages of OEM approach & landing stuff plus viewed a few videos of simulated approaches, none of them even come close. However high on my list of pure guesses is something possibly associated with USMC or other military rotary wing types approaching up the port side - and these 'pairs of whatever they are, might be 'go-no-go indicators' for a hover and slide over the flight deck edge opposite the allocated spot - we shall see.

Thanks for your contribution mate.
Little h
Little h

PoW R09

Some more of my observations .... (but not of the Glamox FL60N Wide beam floodlights) - or - (the features seen mounted to the outboard surface of the port deck-edge walkway/catwalk screen.... this time

These observations are of feature(s) mounted on the inboard surface of the port deck-edge walkway/catwalk screen. There appear to be 3 variations of said feature(s) and all are mounted at the top of the inboard panels forming the screen, immediately under the flat surface. The cabling associated with all 3 variations is secured to the lower and middle horizontal, fore and aft, parallel strengthening members by the use of cleats.

The installation of the 3 variations does not give the appearance of being at regular intervals.

For identification purposes, the 3 variations are identified as follows:-

2a; the most forward mounted variation of which there is only one in the attachment (annotated - variation 1 of 3)

2b; moving further slightly aft, there is the next variation and again there is only one in the attachment (annotated - variation 2 of 3)

2c; the furthest aft variation is formed of 8 individual examples (annotated - variation 3 of 3)

27599132027_b34b832313_o ACA PoW R09 Flickr copy (6).jpg

(the image has been cropped and brightened slightly)

Never having seen a plethera of installation such as this - has anyone got the answer as to the purpose of these features?
Little h
Little h

jbryce1437 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:11 pm

Jim

Well Jim there is nothing along the stbd ship's side for an approaching airborne platform to see, save that when approaching from the stbd qtr one can see the white transom mounted vertical drop-line light strip(s) plus the port and stbd qtr deck edge stern drop strips (blue) - at the very minimum.
z D9_hhxrXkAEe6i2 NavyLookout on Twitter.jpg

... unlike that which is visible from above the flight deck level, where it's all going on with the benefit of the flight deck lighting layout, (see the screenshot taken from a YouTube video) of a simulated approach. Prominent at the flight deck edges are the blue lights ... but ... no sign of the features outboard of the port walkway/catwalk screen.
An F35B simulated landing Screenshot (3156).jpg

That image may not be a definitive representation of the current flight deck lighting layout possibly more reflective of 'the Bedford Array' layout ... but it gives an indication at least.

So the search goes on!!
Little h
Little h

PoW R09 - (continued)

Little h wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:33 pm

Well, it seems that these features are alslo fitted on the outboard stbd side catwalk screen, aft of the aft island, see:-

HMSPWLS-viewofship (3).jpg
HMSPWLS- The Bristol Post (2).jpg

They are however mounted as singletons not in pairs as on the port side catwalk screen.

It has not yet been possible to established a) the purpose of these features or b) how many are fitted in total on the stbd catwalk screen.

Source; The Bristol Post an article titled:-

Why one of the world's biggest aircraft carriers - HMS Prince of Wales - is linked to Bristol

Bristol Live reporter Bronwen Weatherby was invited to Rosyth Dockyard in Edinburgh to explore the biggest ship ever built by the British Armed Forces - the HMS Prince of Wales

ByBronwen Weatherby 15:36, 8 MAY 2018Updated20:04, 8 MAY 2018
Little h
Little h

Anyone noticed any mention of, or an image relating to, the two 'folding whip antenna'(?) having been raised from the lowered position during any of the QE R08 trials?

,,ACA 35420485912_fcfbf88cea_o (3).jpg
,, DDQXhpzW0AAiXee twitter baesystemsplc (4).jpg
DENj7P4W0AAKMpH at invergordon twitter @HMSQnlz.jpg

Each 'antenna'(?) raised/lowered by Heavy Duty Shipboard Tilt Units (single); similar to/if not exactly the same as this:-
OA-9243A-side.jpg
Source; ANTENNA PRODUCTS - Shipboard Antennas/Tilt Units
Little h
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Ships/Boats Equipment”