QEC Carriers

Post here about equipment carried on ships
Pelican

Re: QEC Carriers

Unread post by Pelican »

"A manually operated handcrank provides emergency control in the event of electrical failure."
Did see hand crank in your photo Harry, makes one wonder if they are mainly intended for emergency radio gear in the event of a complete power failure. I do know that there is an extremely large emergency geni well above the water line starboard side aft. Where exactly are the whips located?
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

Pelican wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:47 pm "A manually operated handcrank provides emergency control in the event of electrical failure."
Did see hand crank in your photo Harry, makes one wonder if they are mainly intended for emergency radio gear in the event of a complete power failure. I do know that there is an extremely large emergency geni well above the water line starboard side aft. Where exactly are the whips located?
If it was just to be manually operated in event of complete power failure then I see no need for a heavy duty tilt motor having been installed. They could just as easily have a jury rigged PIN mast or some such.

I am fairly certain that they will have an emergency function but there doesn't appear to be RADHAZ markings around the base of either - so fairly hefty RX only AE perhaps.
DD04n5xWAAM_7Td.jpg large (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Fair enough Harry, seems odd location for them but what do I know except that I'm off on 8 days LV.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Little h

Pelican wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:50 pm Fair enough Harry, seems odd location for them but what do I know except that I'm off on 8 days LV.
Enjoy your leave David
Little h
Little h

Two more images of these 'tilting motorised whip antenna'(?) - seems they are destined to remain lodged in the park position ad infinitim.

,EEQ2nPMXYAEaLCL.jpg large (2).jpg
,EERemyYW4AY3NI5.jpg large Halifax Canada (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Little h

'tilting motorised whip antenna'(?) --- PoW R09 stylee

As seen in an image of her at anchor.

EE2VGgeWsAA9NTN.jpg large (2).jpg
For Two - now read One !!

HMS Prince of Wales
‏Verified account @HMSPWLS

The Ship has her cable! ⚓⚓⚓

We are now at anchor in the Forth to conduct more checks and training before sailing under the forth bridges in the near future.

Compare a near similar shot of QE R08 at Rosyth April 2019 showing two
, D3eXy9uXsAIdFG1 return to Rosyth April 2019.jpg
Little h
Little h

As for the Type 23 Frigates (see earlier posts) it seems that there has been a shift in a type of NVIS antenna now installed on the the 2nd ship in the QEC Carriers

OUT; the Cobham type:-
,ACA 35549773886_b87bb80d59_o (3).jpg

IN; the Comrod type:-
, EATqk4MXkAAe_rV PoW R09 (2).jpg
Little h
Little h

PoW R09 Arrival in Portsmouth - Saturday 16th November 2019
, pow pennants copy (2).jpg

Mounted above the EID (Electronic Indicator Display), on (existing) support brackets, on/to the aft bulwark of the fwd island...

- is it a jury rigged LPA (Log-periodic antenna) array?

- if so for what purpose?

- an ACA (Aircraft Carrier Alliance) adaptation for data perhaps?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Late edit;

NavyLookout Retweeted
MrH
@MrHackney
Nov 16
A wet day but a good day👍
#PWLSatSea #letsgetin #RN
EJfhX-eW4AIROFh.jpg large.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that in MrH's tweeted image there is no sign of the LPA(?), above the EID, on bracket attached to aft bulwark of fwd island. PoW R09 apparently still off Pompey (blue 'Government Service Ensign' had not yet been struck from the lower gaff) - it had been raised on the ensign staff (flight deck aft) on way in to Pompey.
Little h
Little h

PoW R09 - (Stbd Side - continued.1)

Some more of my observations .... (but not of the Glamox FL60N Wide beam floodlights).... this time the features can be seen mounted to the outboard surface of the 'port deck edge walkway screen' (close to some of the LED floodlights ... and the aircraft side elevators)

Within the following two attachments I have included (what is hoped will be) a reasonably descriptive caption, giving details of the location of the examples; and 'a strong suggestion' there is a relationship between 1st attachment with the 2nd attachment.
Screenshot (4704) - Copy.png
Screenshot (5529).png

The attachment below, shows one of the features mounted aft of the aftmost aircraft side elevator ... towards the stern/transom
Screenshot (5541).png
Little h
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Little h wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:25 pm PoW R09

Some more of my observations .... (but not of the Glamox FL60N Wide beam floodlights) - or - (the features seen mounted to the outboard surface of the port deck-edge walkway/catwalk screen.... this time

These observations are of feature(s) mounted on the inboard surface of the port deck-edge walkway/catwalk screen. There appear to be 3 variations of said feature(s) and all are mounted at the top of the inboard panels forming the screen, immediately under the flat surface. The cabling associated with all 3 variations is secured to the lower and middle horizontal, fore and aft, parallel strengthening members by the use of cleats.

The installation of the 3 variations does not give the appearance of being at regular intervals.

For identification purposes, the 3 variations are identified as follows:-

2a; the most forward mounted variation of which there is only one in the attachment (annotated - variation 1 of 3)

2b; moving further slightly aft, there is the next variation and again there is only one in the attachment (annotated - variation 2 of 3)

2c; the furthest aft variation is formed of 8 individual examples (annotated - variation 3 of 3)

27599132027_b34b832313_o ACA PoW R09 Flickr copy (6).jpg
obviously someone has outstanding works to complete judging by the pack of cable ties left in the bag stuffed in the joint to the left of the access panel to the right of the picture Harry ..... ;)

(the image has been cropped and brightened slightly)

Never having seen a plethera of installation such as this - has anyone got the answer as to the purpose of these features?
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Ships/Boats Equipment”