QEC Carriers

Post here about equipment carried on ships
Little h

Re: QEC Carriers

Unread post by Little h »

ivorthediver wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:22 pm
Little h wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:25 pm PoW R09

Some more of my observations .... (but not of the Glamox FL60N Wide beam floodlights) - or - (the features seen mounted to the outboard surface of the port deck-edge walkway/catwalk screen.... this time

obviously someone has outstanding works to complete judging by the pack of cable ties left in the bag stuffed in the joint to the left of the access panel to the right of the picture Harry ..... ;)

Never having seen a plethera of installation such as this - has anyone got the answer as to the purpose of these features?
"Still in dockyard hands chief - best see the Chargehand Spark or Foreman Spark" - Not my part of ship till acceptance trials concluded successfully ;)
Little h
Little h

Further to the series of posts on the previous page (starting midway down) with the following post - this is the first image I have observed these titlting antenna in the raised position.

Little h wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:42 pm Anyone noticed any mention of, or an image relating to, the two 'folding whip antenna'(?) having been raised from the lowered position during any of the QE R08 trials?

,,ACA 35420485912_fcfbf88cea_o (3).jpg

,, DDQXhpzW0AAiXee twitter baesystemsplc (4).jpg

DENj7P4W0AAKMpH at invergordon twitter @HMSQnlz.jpg

Each 'antenna'(?) raised/lowered by Heavy Duty Shipboard Tilt Units (single); similar to/if not exactly the same as this:-

OA-9243A-side.jpg

Source; ANTENNA PRODUCTS - Shipboard Antennas/Tilt Units
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

HMS Queen Elizabeth
‏Verified account @HMSQNLZ

We are currently off beautiful Weymouth Bay, onloading family under the PACAS scheme - Parents & Children at Sea. This gives our loved ones the unique chance to sail into port with us tomorrow #WESTLANT19 #itsafamilyaffair
EK3ThNFWkAAcxyz.jpg

The tilting antenna are not too evident in this image so a screenshot was needed, see below:-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VOILÀ!!! - Yay!!! .... at long last ;) :)

A simple case of the biblical "seek and ye shall find" (Mathew 7:7-8 & 12 also Luke 11:9) perhaps;
or maybe a case of:-
ye olde maxim- "patience and perseverance overcometh all understanding" (and variations thereof)
Screenshot (6365).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Little h

Little h wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:32 am
Each 'antenna'(?) raised/lowered by Heavy Duty Shipboard Tilt Units (single); similar to/if not exactly the same as this:-

OA-9243A-side.jpg

Source; ANTENNA PRODUCTS - Shipboard Antennas/Tilt Units

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

HMS Queen Elizabeth
‏Verified account @HMSQNLZ

We are currently off beautiful Weymouth Bay, onloading family under the PACAS scheme - Parents & Children at Sea. This gives our loved ones the unique chance to sail into port with us tomorrow #WESTLANT19 #itsafamilyaffair

EK3ThNFWkAAcxyz.jpg

The tilting antenna are not too evident in this image so a screenshot was needed, see below:-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VOILÀ!!! - Yay!!! .... at long last ;) :)

A simple case of the biblical "seek and ye shall find" (Mathew 7:7-8 & 12 also Luke 11:9) perhaps;
or maybe a case of:-
ye olde maxim- "patience and perseverance overcometh all understanding" (and variations thereof)
Screenshot (6365).png
[/quote]

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

A couple of tweeted replies from the linked tweet above, read:-

Gerry Southwood
‏ @GerrySouthwood
Dec 3
Replying to @HMSQNLZ

Nice touch.

Do I see three HF radio masts forward of the main bridge? I thought the QLZ class had new technology that meant they didn‘t need them. I haven‘t seen them before....

Allan Lewis
‏ @Bumblebee1947
Dec 4

Wise to keep Old money methinks😉

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well; the tweeter GS is correct - but only in part:-
- correct that the two normally horizontally stowed (and cleated down) tilting whip aerials/antenna have now been photographed/observed in the raised position (vertical).
- not necessarily correct in the assumption that the two tilting whips are in fact HF.
- incorrect in the assumption that the aftmost mast is a radio 'mast' - since it is actually a PIN mast (rigged and de-rigged as and when?) with a main light and standby light mounted at/near it's top (poss navigation and/or working light).

The tilting whip aerials/antenna lowered to horizontal and cleated.
ACA 35420485912_fcfbf88cea_o (3).jpg

(click on attachment/image to view in focus/enlarge)

The PIN mast
DVlgPLAXUAYAaEF.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Little h

PWLS R09 -V- QNLZ R08 - (Stbd Qtr; deck edge catwalk screen)

Some more of my observations .... (but not of the Glamox FL60N Wide beam floodlights).... this time the feature can be seen mounted to the outboard surface of the 'stbd qtr deck edge catwalk screen'

This feature was noted when the two QEC carriers were alongside in Portsmouth Dockyard.

Having noticed the variation it was then obvious (in hindsight) that QNLZ R08 had sailed for Westlant 19 so adorned :oops: ... in fact further viewing of images revealed that the appendage was already in situ on QNLZ 08 in June 2019.

pow3 (copy).jpg

December 2019

, BM190008006 sails for westlant 19 royalnavy.mod.uk (copy) (2).jpg
August 2019

D911iYCXkAME53X NavyLookout on Twitter June 2019.jpg

NavyLookout
‏ @NavyLookout
9:48 AM - 24 Jun 2019
.@HMSQNLZ exercises Helicopter In-Flight Refuelling (HIFR) with Merlin Mk2 while off Plymouth breakwater this afternoon

via @RFATideforce

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So what might it's purpose be ...
a) WAFU's butty box (only to be opened after a successful FOD plod)?
b) Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) - type of active phased array radar (APAR) antenna?
c) other
Little h
Little h

PWLS R09 -V- QNLZ R08 - (Stbd Qtr; deck edge catwalk screen) - (continued)

Some more of my observations .... (but not of the Glamox FL60N Wide beam floodlights).... this time the feature can be seen mounted to the outboard surface of the 'stbd qtr deck edge catwalk screen'

This feature was noted when the two QEC carriers were alongside in Portsmouth Dockyard.

Having noticed the variation it was then obvious (in hindsight) that QNLZ R08 had sailed for Westlant 19 so adorned :oops: ... in fact further viewing of images revealed that the appendage was already in situ on QNLZ 08 early April 2019 as she entered Rosyth to dock down, see:-
HMS-Queen-Elizabeth-Rosyth into drydock 1st week April 2019 (3).jpg

Entering dock early April 2019

HMS-QNLZ-exits-No-1-Dock ... Eased out of Number 1 Dock May 2019 StRN.jpg

Eased out of #1 Dock May 2019

Attachments; both derived from originals carried in Save the Royal Navy
1st - April 8, 2019 article titled:-
HMS Queen Elizabeth returns to her birth place for planned dry-docking

2nd - May 21, 2019 article titled:-
HMS Queen Elizabeth completes dry docking period and leaves Rosyth
Little h
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

The LED Floodlights (& associated heatsinks) fitted on QEC carriers thread merged into this thread at the request of Little h

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

How is the 'blue' colour produced?
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Little h

Pelican wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:36 pm How is the 'blue' colour produced?
David, re your:- How is the 'blue' colour produced?

Since reading your question (copied above), the subject has played on my mind.

The answer might now be contained in this and the following post - so let's see what you think.

1st some observations that might identify the deck edge/cat walk screen floodlights used to illuminate the islands:-
EVUv2gkXkAIwNys QEC Carrier fwd island floodlight Tom Lennon twitter NavyLookout.jpg
DNYwUoTXUAAWhhe.jpg
AWA6WJCEAFGFPB5WSWGBRCCAOE (2).jpg
R08-HMS-Queen-Elizabeth-059.jpg

The floodlights presumed to be those that provide illumination of the Islands and Cat Walks are circled in red and indicated by a large red arrow
Last edited by Little h on Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
Little h
Little h

David, re your:- How is the 'blue' colour produced? - (continued)

Since reading your question (copied above), the subject has played on my mind.

The answer might now be contained in this and the previous post - so let's see what you think.

2nd some observations that hopefully identify the deck edge/cat walk screen floodlights (for illuminating the islands & cat walks):-
Screenshot (6595).png
Screenshot (6593).png
Screenshot (6594).png

The above derived from the AGI Ltd website
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Thank you for the trouble you have gone to Harry, my thoughts went back to when we used to have red night lighting below decks to prepare the eyes for night vision. Never really thought about the reason or theory, so asked Uncle Google who came back with this amongst others:

Blue versus red light for preserving night vision
I read on this forum an earlier post from a strong proponent of blue light for preserving night vision. As a pilot, I've been using red cockpit lighting for decades, and I know the FAA expended a lot of effort in biomedical research -- finally concluding red light was best.

So why the disagreement? I did some research and found the following three reasons for favoring red light over blue:

1) Producing dim blue light from an incandescent bulb that is dimmed by running at reduced voltage produces no blue light (in accordance with Planck's law), so in pre-LED days it was practically difficult to produce dim blue light without running an incandescent lamp at higher voltage (higher color temperature) and using a dense blue filter to make it dim.
2) The center of the human fovea, the part of the eye that you use to read printed materials and finely detailed charts, is blind to dim blue light: https://www.osapublishing.org/josa/abst ... 57-11-1289
The rods can take over for blue-blindness in brighter light.
3) The rods, which we depend on to see dimly lit objects, are much less sensitive to red than to green or blue light. So at equal intensities dim red ambient light has much less of an effect on degrading night vision than does blue light. (Note the qualification: "at equal intensities." You don't need as much blue light to see in the dark.)

In the past, pilots had analog instruments and spent a great deal of time reading printed procedures and studying paper charts using ambient light. They needed to use the blue-blind parts of their eyes. Today, modern aircraft and boats frequently have "glass" cockpits with electronic displays with direct lighting where resolving fine details on paper are less frequently needed. Here, blue light is less of a hindrance, and producing dim blue ambient light with LEDs is easily accomplished. And since the blue cones are more sensitive than red cones, so you need less blue light than you need red to see nearby objects. If you don't need to read finely detailed charts, analog instruments and printed matter, you may be better off with blue light.

All of this assumes normal color vision. In the case of pilots, they are tested for color vision and are usually restricted no night flying if they have any color blindness. The FAA research completely disregards the night vision effects for color blind pilots.

The above comes from - https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f1 ... 09780.html - which being a Forum has other comments below it.

Appears you are on the right track.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Ships/Boats Equipment”